HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
London, England
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
Thanks, It was chucking it down today so when the weather breaks I'm out there for a test flight.
pilatus mike is offline Find More Posts by pilatus mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
566 Posts
Wing guns

I read somewhere on this forum that the wing guns can cause the wing to break on a bad landing. So I'm torn between cutting the guns off or trying to remove the entire gun assembly. However, if I try to remove the entire assembly I may mess up the wing. Any thoughts?
Bob
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:03 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
First have you crashed and has your wing broke?

To me it is half a dozen of six of another, you can have goobered up wing on a WARBIRD without CANNONS or you can repair a broken wing (if you crash). Not trying to be mean, but I can get lost in the forest without looking at the trees. Just trying to help you out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslco10 View Post
I read somewhere on this forum that the wing guns can cause the wing to break on a bad landing. So I'm torn between cutting the guns off or trying to remove the entire gun assembly. However, if I try to remove the entire assembly I may mess up the wing. Any thoughts?
Bob
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
First have you crashed and has your wing broke?

To me it is half a dozen of six of another, you can have goobered up wing on a WARBIRD without CANNONS or you can repair a broken wing (if you crash). Not trying to be mean, but I can get lost in the forest without looking at the trees. Just trying to help you out!
No, I haven't crashed and my wing hasn't broke. If I had some grass where I fly I wouldn't give it a thought, but I fly on asphalt with many small rocks. I try to catch it on landing, miss sometimes.
Bob
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined May 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Try establishing an account.
I made an account when ordering the PZ UM Spit. I use it again to order 4 more batteries. I've tried 3 times, but no luck :/. Paypal has it logged, but under some mode where it does not charge until shipped.
rcmaniac098202 is offline Find More Posts by rcmaniac098202
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:16 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
116 Posts
Quote:
Bob
I had a "bad landing" on my first flight. There was a bit of wind, and being a newbie to fixed wing (ok on rotary wing), I tried to stay in the air, but ended up crashing. ....I mean had a "bad landing". I may have to use that term every time I crash.
Sorry, I digress. Anyway, I have broken both wings due to crashes .... I mean 'bad landings'.
The last wing breakage was due to the aileron servo being stuck full right. The impact also tore off both wheel assemblies off the wings. I may leave the wheels off, but now need to work out how to solve the sticky aileron servo.
I have read somewhere that some have had success with lubrication, some with moving the cog, and some with other fixes.
Looking forward to getting this great little bird back in the air.

Considering I have only broken each wing once, and repaired each wing once (leading edge broken just at the inner edge of the gun), I cannot say what is the best avenue of attack. Question: Does a replacement wing already have the guns mounted?
Thinking out aloud, there seems to be a HIGH STRESS point at the leading edge at the inner edge of the gun plastic. This ends up being the weak point. If the gun assembly were to be removed, this point may move to elsewhere on the wing. Being that the gun assembly is glued to the foam wing, and that it wraps around the leading edge of the wing, (other than changing the airfoil at that point,) it may make the wing more prone to breakage along that area where the gun was.
Someone may wish to try it out, and report back to this forum with their results.
Old_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Old_Tech
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:38 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Bob
I think if you cut off or remove the guns it will affect the CG quite a bit. They stick out soo far in front of the leading edge of the wing, plus it's not like the plane is nose heavy imo it flies slightly tail heavy with the stock battery.
I've had no issues with landings in medium length grass. I think the few that have torn the wing have hit something solid
Cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Tech View Post
I had a "bad landing" on my first flight. There was a bit of wind, and being a newbie to fixed wing (ok on rotary wing), I tried to stay in the air, but ended up crashing. ....I mean had a "bad landing". I may have to use that term every time I crash.
Sorry, I digress. Anyway, I have broken both wings due to crashes .... I mean 'bad landings'.
The last wing breakage was due to the aileron servo being stuck full right. The impact also tore off both wheel assemblies off the wings. I may leave the wheels off, but now need to work out how to solve the sticky aileron servo.
I have read somewhere that some have had success with lubrication, some with moving the cog, and some with other fixes.
Looking forward to getting this great little bird back in the air.

Considering I have only broken each wing once, and repaired each wing once (leading edge broken just at the inner edge of the gun), I cannot say what is the best avenue of attack. Question: Does a replacement wing already have the guns mounted?
Thinking out aloud, there seems to be a HIGH STRESS point at the leading edge at the inner edge of the gun plastic. This ends up being the weak point. If the gun assembly were to be removed, this point may move to elsewhere on the wing. Being that the gun assembly is glued to the foam wing, and that it wraps around the leading edge of the wing, (other than changing the airfoil at that point,) it may make the wing more prone to breakage along that area where the gun was.
Someone may wish to try it out, and report back to this forum with their results.
I bought a new wing the other day, the guns are not mounted on the wing. I found any where there is a panal line, is a weak spot, same as score lines on a corragated box. The weak point on the CC was the tail, on the Spit, it seems it's the wing.

BD
pondside is offline Find More Posts by pondside
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,928 Posts
It's a winner

Well, my wife went and done it. She came home and surprised me with the Spitfire for my B-day - I really love that woman!

If you saw some of my earlier posts, I was very much on the fence on this one. I LOVE the looks of this bird, and the AS3X was exactly what I need to compensate for the rolling wind I get over the trees up here in the mountains. However, all of the reports about it being under powered had me pulling back a bit.

I may have gotten a stronger motor, but I couldn't be more pleased with it. I find it plenty powerful. Yes, you do need to gain a bit of momentum for a nice round loop, but not much. The AS3X makes a HUGE difference in the wind compared to other micros. It flies great and, while I found that a little rudder/aileron coordination improved the turn, it flew just fine "yank and bank" style.

I have a Bravo SX motor sitting right here in front of me and absolutely no intention of installing it until this motor burns out.

So, my two cents: If you have been eying this bird and have realistic expectations, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll try to shoot a little video of it compared to my Bravo SX equipped mustang and Bravo SX equipped corsair. You'll see that it sits squarely between the two in terms of performance, much more powerful, agile, graceful, and scale than the Bravo SX corsair, not nearly as aerobatic as the bravo SX Mustang. But it beats them both out a million to one if there is anything more than a slight breeze.
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:35 AM
London, England
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
If you want to take off the cannons then you can use a piece of the inner box to fill the gap (foam friendly cyano) and sand it to shape then paint, no cannons and a nice wing.
If the aileron servo is being a headache, try reducing the travel with your travel adjust function on your TX usually 85% does it but cleaning with contact cleaner is the best.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:42 PM
London, England
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post
Nice job! How does she fly?
She flies Great! Vertical climbs are fairly endless, loops can be massive, wing overs seem to have more authority, cuban eights etc can all be flown with ease. She can be flown at 3/4 throttle and the performance is far more realistic than before. On landing I slowed her to walking pace easily and very gently belly landed in the grass, No scars!
The motor did pulse a bit on max throttle, it may not like the prop or maybe it's because I was using a retired AP05 from an old Sukhoi and really old cells. With new lipo's and new AP05 you could probably expect more. I was always happy with the plane as a 1 cell but now it feels more correct.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatus mike View Post
She flies Great! Vertical climbs are fairly endless, loops can be massive, wing overs seem to have more authority, cuban eights etc can all be flown with ease. She can be flown at 3/4 throttle and the performance is far more realistic than before. On landing I slowed her to walking pace easily and very gently belly landed in the grass, No scars!
The motor did pulse a bit on max throttle, it may not like the prop or maybe it's because I was using a retired AP05 from an old Sukhoi and really old cells. With new lipo's and new AP05 you could probably expect more. I was always happy with the plane as a 1 cell but now it feels more correct.
How did you mount the 4 blade prop to the AP05?
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:19 PM
London, England
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post
How did you mount the 4 blade prop to the AP05?
I used some heat shrink and gently pushed it on, seems to work well.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:22 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Pilatus you did a really good job weathering, love how you got alot of crud along the panel lines.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:54 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,928 Posts
HH - if you are reading this . . .

I was out flying the Spitfire yesterday evening and again this a.m.. In both cases, I was dealing with the dreaded "low light" scenario. I know this has been mentioned before, but this spitfire is definitely the easiest model I have to completely lose orientation on!

So, HH guys, if you are reading this, while I absolutely love the scale look of the Spitfire, are there other scale paint schemes that can be considered for the smaller planes, or some other way to help improve orientation (lights?)?

This bird is a winner and a heap of fun, but against a dark background, it does exactly what it is painted to do - disappear!
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings