HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,585 Posts
I might look into that. Especially considering that RCBabbel is offering those NE motors PnP.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:15 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,554 Posts
I am running out of money with all these offerings! I bought the larger PZ Spitfire right after xmas, and have not flown that yet.
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:20 AM
I'm BIG on micros
R.M. of Peel, ON
Joined Mar 2011
437 Posts
I think 2012 should be called "Year of the Empty Wallet"
JSS4 is online now Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:33 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS4 View Post
I think 2012 should be called "Year of the Empty Wallet"
Love it! I'm sure HH won't dare to make a calendar with all the new models this year! If they do, I hope they add a little check mark, in each month, we can use when we're broke! I'll simply check them all, right away!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:46 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,945 Posts
For those who want more power or just want a brushless system why not buy a AP05 outrunner (5.4g, $16.90) and either a 3A 0.3g ESC ($6.11) or a 0.7g 3A ESC ($9.36). That set up should be good for 11W and 107 w/lbs on the plane (unless my math is off, which it very well may be) and should weigh no more than the motor and gear box if you use the .3g ESC.

So who's going to be the first to try clipped wings on this bird? I'm planning on getting the airframe at the very least, I don't know if I'm going to try and make it lighter with a DT receiver (and lose the dampening which seems interesting at the least) and the older 1.5g servos. Or keep the AS3X system. Either way I'm planning on full house with brushless motor, flaps, semi-symmetrical airfoil, and my home brew 1g retracts.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Feb 16, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:20 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron View Post
So who's going to be the first to try clipped wings on this bird?
At least they'd have real life inspiration!
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:39 AM
Ann Arbor, MI
Joined Jan 2011
22 Posts
Anyone have any info on when the 4 blade prop will be available for order from HH? My Mustang and Corsiar will be getting them asap. Thanks...
retropilot69 is offline Find More Posts by retropilot69
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:25 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retropilot69 View Post
Anyone have any info on when the 4 blade prop will be available for order from HH? My Mustang and Corsiar will be getting them asap. Thanks...
Aircraft-specific parts such as the 4-blade prop probably won't be available until the release - or possibly after the release. At least that's how it's been with most of the UM planes so far.

Keep in mind that you will most likely see a significant reduction in performance with the 4-blade prop, as compared to the P-51's stock prop or the GWS 5043.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron View Post
For those who want more power or just want a brushless system why not buy a AP05 outrunner (5.4g, $16.90) and either a 3A 0.3g ESC ($6.11) or a 0.7g 3A ESC ($9.36). That set up should be good for 11W and 107 w/lbs on the plane (unless my math is off, which it very well may be) and should weigh no more than the motor and gear box if you use the .3g ESC.
I did this for my UM P-51. I started with 1S and it was OK, but not quite as good as stock. On 2S it goes absolutely nuts with a 4530 prop - too much fun! The only drawback may be that you can't keep the new stock 4-blade prop. We also have to make sure that the new Rx has a brushless more like the AR6400 - it seems that it will. In order to keep the stock 4-blade prop, we may want to switch to the solo pro motors.
jdwolters is online now Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
Ann Arbor, MI
Joined Jan 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Aircraft-specific parts such as the 4-blade prop probably won't be available until the release - or possibly after the release. At least that's how it's been with most of the UM planes so far.

Keep in mind that you will most likely see a significant reduction in performance with the 4-blade prop, as compared to the P-51's stock prop or the GWS 5043.

Joel
Yeah, I only fly these micro warbirds for the scale appearance. I already use the 3 blade prop on the Mustang. If I want to do aero acro I get my Extra 300 out...an aircraft that was made for it and not made as a weapons platform...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,162 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I only fly these micro warbirds for the scale appearance. I already use the 3 blade prop on the Mustang. If I want to do aero acro I get my Extra 300 out...an aircraft that was made for it and not made as a weapons platform...
However, the stock F4U is not capable of performing scale maneuvers, such as large loops, zoom-climbs, and pretty much any other maneuver that requires a thrust-to-weight greater than that of a basic trainer. The full-scale plane had no trouble doing loops of a mile or more in diameter, and it could easily climb straight up for 10-15k during a zoom-climb. The stock UM F4U doesn't even come close to scale performance.

Seems like a growing number of RC'ers today think that WWII fighters were not aerobatic, and that they couldn't climb well. They have no idea as to what the best WWII fighters could really do. I don't understand where this misperception is coming from.

These were not slow, lethargic planes. Rather, they were snarling, hot-rodded, highly aerobatic planes. Some of them were capable of pulling over 10 Gs (and did so regularly during combat). Some of them could out-climb & out-roll the best purpose-built aerobatic planes of just a couple decades ago. I know this because I've seen some of them flying all-out, and because my dad flew P-47s & P-38s during the war.

To be scale, the UM F4U should have no trouble executing a 150' diameter loop from level flight.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:27 PM
Ann Arbor, MI
Joined Jan 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
However, the stock F4U is not capable of performing scale maneuvers, such as large loops, zoom-climbs, and pretty much any other maneuver that requires a thrust-to-weight greater than that of a basic trainer. The full-scale plane had no trouble doing loops of a mile or more in diameter, and it could easily climb straight up for 10-15k during a zoom-climb. The stock UM F4U doesn't even come close to scale performance.

Seems like a growing number of RC'ers today think that WWII fighters were not aerobatic, and that they couldn't climb well. They have no idea as to what the best WWII fighters could really do. I don't understand where this misperception is coming from.

These were not slow, lethargic planes. Rather, they were snarling, hot-rodded, highly aerobatic planes. Some of them were capable of pulling over 10 Gs (and did so regularly during combat). Some of them could out-climb & out-roll the best purpose-built aerobatic planes of just a couple decades ago. I know this because I've seen some of them flying all-out, and because my dad flew P-47s & P-38s during the war.

To be scale, the UM F4U should have no trouble executing a 150' diameter loop from level flight.

Joel
I've been a full scale pilot for 20 plus years, with 5000 plus hours, 3000 of which are in jets. I know exactly what the WWII fighters were designed for and capable of. Yes they had good straight-line performance but the fact is they were designed so a 300 hour pilot, fresh out of pilot training could fly them...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,162 Posts
Quote:
I've been a full scale pilot for 20 plus years, with 5000 plus hours, 3000 of which are in jets. I know exactly what the WWII fighters were designed for and capable of. Yes they had good straight-line performance but the fact is they were designed so a 300 hour pilot, fresh out of pilot training could fly them...
I am also a full-scale pilot. No turbines, however. My dad flew 61 missions in the P-47, and he then flew professionally for another 40 years. He retired with over 34,000 hours of logged flight-time. I have had the opportunity to discuss at length, the performance of a few WWII fighters with a fair number of pilots who actually flew them in combat. I also have plenty of late-war & post-war camera footage that shows what the Jug could do. Did you know that it was common to pull 150" of manifold pressure in the Jug? Did you also know that the version of the R2800 used in the Jug was tested by P&W at 150" map @ 3,800 HP for 100 hours nonstop?

Back to the Spit - I expect that crewchiefs made similar 'field modifications' to the Spit, as well as others, such as the F4U.

BTW - being designed for low-time pilots has nothing to do with the size of loops, or the length of zoom-climbs.

The better performers easily executed mile-diameter loops & 10,000'+ zoom-climbs. With the paddle-blade prop, later Jugs were capable of miles-high zoom-climbs after pulling out of a dive. And Jug pilots often pulled 8-10 Gs when they hit the compressibility flaps on pullouts.

As I stated, the stock UM F4U is not capable of performing the maneuvers that the full-scale plane could do. (Such as big, round loops & zoom-climbs.) When I fly a warbird, I want it to perform like a combat warbird - not like like a 60-year-old plane being flown gingerly at an airshow. If I want sport-plane performance, I have other planes in the hangar from which to choose.

Evidently, we have very different expectations when flying RC warbirds. To each, his own....

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
I am also a full-scale pilot. No turbines, however. My dad flew 61 missions in the P-47, and he then flew professionally for another 40 years. He retired with over 34,000 hours of logged flight-time. I have had the opportunity to discuss at length, the performance of a few WWII fighters with a fair number of pilots who actually flew them in combat. I also have plenty of late-war & post-war camera footage that shows what the Jug could do. Did you know that it was common to pull 150" of manifold pressure in the Jug? Did you also know that the version of the R2800 used in the Jug was tested by P&W at 150" map @ 3,800 HP for 100 hours nonstop?

Back to the Spit - I expect that crewchiefs made similar 'field modifications' to the Spit, as well as others, such as the F4U.

BTW - being designed for low-time pilots has nothing to do with the size of loops, or the length of zoom-climbs.

The better performers easily executed mile-diameter loops & 10,000'+ zoom-climbs. With the paddle-blade prop, later Jugs were capable of miles-high zoom-climbs after pulling out of a dive. And Jug pilots often pulled 8-10 Gs when they hit the compressibility flaps on pullouts.

As I stated, the stock UM F4U is not capable of performing the maneuvers that the full-scale plane could do. (Such as big, round loops & zoom-climbs.) When I fly a warbird, I want it to perform like a combat warbird - not like like a 60-year-old plane being flown gingerly at an airshow. If I want sport-plane performance, I have other planes in the hangar from which to choose.

Evidently, we have very different expectations when flying RC warbirds. To each, his own....

Joel
And many of us will welcome a lovely model without any notion of what it can or can't do. people have admired static models as well and it's just as nice putting around and having a calm day. I have other non-scale planes if I want to fly unlimited vertical, or do 3D and such. it fills a niche that people want. I have no doubt I will get my $100 worth out of the spit as it flies out of the box. And when I feel the need, I might modify it or I might build something that does some aspect of it better or I might just fly something else and let it just be.

I wish they hadn't "corrected" the release date. I'm not sure I can take 3 more months of "what if's" before someone actually gives a maiden flight report on what it actually CAN do. I've got a 54' ceiling in my indoor venue, I don't care if it can do 150' loops.
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Gia Normans are coming
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:05 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
And many of us will welcome a lovely model without any notion of what it can or can't do. people have admired static models as well and it's just as nice putting around and having a calm day. I have other non-scale planes if I want to fly unlimited vertical, or do 3D and such. it fills a niche that people want. I have no doubt I will get my $100 worth out of the spit as it flies out of the box. And when I feel the need, I might modify it or I might build something that does some aspect of it better or I might just fly something else and let it just be.

I wish they hadn't "corrected" the release date. I'm not sure I can take 3 more months of "what if's" before someone actually gives a maiden flight report on what it actually CAN do. I've got a 54' ceiling in my indoor venue, I don't care if it can do 150' loops.
I'm not dissing the plane. I am simply being realistic about its performance, given that it uses the same motor & gearbox as the other UM warbrids, yet is heavier. I'll most likely buy one because it looks great, I love Spits, and because I already know how 'big' AS3X can make a small plane feel. But I am not content with just putting around with a warbird. I'd rather be rolling over & heading for the deck @ war-emergency power for a mock dive-bombing run, or screaming across the runway for a mock strafing pass. Or shooting touch & gos. But not putting around. I have other planes for that. Just as I have other planes for unlimited vertical & 3D. Given that expecting a warbird to perform a scale loop has nothing to do with unlimited vertical or 3D, I'm not sure why you brought them up.

I will most likely put a Bravo SX motor in the Spit. It's a simple swap, and it provides a 40% increase in thrust over the stock setup. It's a popular upgrade for the brushed UM warbirds & aerobatic planes. A top-quality battery is mandatory, though. The stock & 'bargain' cells will cut out before the plane even gets airborne.

Regarding the release date - at first I was disappointed. But when I considered that I bought the Beast 3D last November, I picked up an mQX a few weeks ago, the Gee Bee I pre-ordered came in last week, and that I immediately pre-ordered the Mig 15, Carbon Cub, and ASK-21 when they were announced, and that I'm also getting the Blade 300 X - I realized that my hobby budget needs a breather! Horizon is really on a roll this year!

Joel
RCG Plus Member