windows live movie maker
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:58 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
virtualdub is free. User interface is not friendly at all... But if all you want to do is cut some section out, it's ok. Greatest thing about it, though, is the fact that it won't mind if you get a dirty video out of a keychain (bad framerate, or worst). This thing will read it, play it, and edit it. Can sometime save the day.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Finally got a mini-maiden in. It appears I've learned some bad habits from the Night Vapor and UM P-51. I took off in the drive way, a nice semi-scale ROG then I went to bank and started dropping like a rock. My natural instinct is to increase power and try to roll back to level, but with this bird it didn't work the way I was expecting. Luckily some of my sim time kicked in and I achieved lift with some rudder to get her back to a level position just before hitting the ground.

I did a few laps between my house and the nieghbors then brought her in for a grass landing since I didn't want to mess with a nose over on the chunky asphalt and didn't have enough space for my skill level to get her back onto my driveway. 0 issues on the landing, a nice slow stall into the grass with a slight tip forward towards the grass but no complete flip. I gave it one more shot with more or less similar results.

The plane fly's smooth as silk in the current 3-5 mph breeze we have out. It's windy enough I'd slightly struggle with the NV and would have to be careful how far out I went with the P-51. I think when I get more comfortable with this plane we're gonna be great friends... but the next few flights are going to be in a much more open area.

Luckily someone was nice enough to never build a house on a 1.5 acre lot 3 houses down from me, and they usually mow it. So I can drag some plywood or something over to refine my landings with minimal sandpaper results.

This is definately not a plane for a beginer, it feels more "real" than the other UMs I've flown. I'm guessing that's the "big" or "scale" feeling others are talking about. As some know my only large scale experience is with large wingspan thermal soarers so I wouldn't know how to compare it to a larger scale powered bird.

Overall I love it. Just to mention as well with the MA 190 I used, I didn't use velcro, just let the hatch hold it in and it did just fine. I still plan on using fishing line or waxed seweing thread with a light dab of hot glue just in case the hatch ever decides to blow. And if it does I'll be rethinking full time dedication of the MA's to my UM fixedwing fleet
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:22 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Good to hear your maiden went well. I am sure you will get the hang of her in no time! Flying her in the open space will be more fun though!

I just picked up some new Thunder Power and Eflite 25c batteries! Ready for that SX motor to come in for a powerplant transfer!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Yep - a #16. Just got it in the mail yesterday and still trying to figure it out. Tried to do some hat camming today and it seems like it keeps turning off. We'll see.

Flying with a guy who had a Spitfire today. first one I've seen in person and there is no two ways about it, it's prettier in real life than it is in pics. He let me fly it and I learned a couple things very very quickly:

1) It requires a MUCH longer takeoff roll than any of my other micros. I started my take off roll into the wind which, unfortunately, was also towards a couple low parking blocks. "No problem," I thought, "I'll be well up into the air by the time I get to 'em". . . . WRONG. Thankfully I managed to slip between two of them and only slightly clip the wing.

2) It has less power than the other micros (T28, mustang, corsair, Mossie), but I'm not sure it's a deal breaker for me. Because it is heavier, I think you just have to learn to fly it differently. Much like my Mig, you let the weight work to your advantage and gain momentum before manuevers. LIke everyone else has said - it's in a class of its own. Don't get yourself into a tight spot with it, and enjoy it for what it does well.

Looks like this model would benefit from a Bravo SX motor mod...But given the flight reports with the Bravo motor it would only put it on par with a stock Mustang...

Who's gonna be the first to convert this puppy to 2S???......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
This is mostly off topic, but the Spit box is in the picture... anyway this is why it's going to be a while yet before I can dedicate some actual flying time... The dog we adopted has latched on to me hardcore and has a little separation anxiety.

2012-10-09_18-11-43_118.mp4 (1 min 4 sec)
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:03 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,120 Posts
Silly, silly man. That dog is not missing you. He sees a perfectly good Spitfire sitting around unflown and, understandably, is quite distressed. Jeez - fly the silly thing - if not for us, do it for your dog!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
I will admit, for some reason the dogs don't seem bothered by the Spit. My Chihuahua gave the UM P-51 a tail piercing the first time I taxied it in the kitchen. Maybe the sound the 4 blader makes isn't as offensive to canine ears.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I use Windows Live video editing software, I think I may had to download from Microsoft but it was free.
+1 on the Windows Live Movie Maker...Super easy to use and edit...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:34 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPonyRocks View Post
This is mostly off topic, but the Spit box is in the picture... anyway this is why it's going to be a while yet before I can dedicate some actual flying time... The dog we adopted has latched on to me hardcore and has a little separation anxiety.
Better latching to you, than to your airplane! Time to show my Beast vs the Beast video again! (for the one or two guys who may not have seen it yet!)

UMX Beast VS the beast! (3 min 59 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,120 Posts
NICE - I had not seen that one. Man, why don't I have a Beast?? Or a dog??
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:42 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,949 Posts
RG, I was wondering how you would get your Beast down safely w/o the other Beast ripping it to shreds.

Then, you and I developed the same strategy at the same time! Fly it far away, with Fido in hot pursuit, then bring it in at top speed to land at your feet so you could pick it up before it was devoured.

Well played!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:22 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,229 Posts
aaaah, sorry if I missed an earlier post with a pic
thanks for the pic... so does the bat hatch still fit ok? do you have any velcro on the lipo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPonyRocks View Post
I posted a pic of the 190 installed already sans hatch...

No room to spare, but everything fits perfect
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Hatch fits perfect, no velcro. A velcro strip won't make for any issues closing the hatch either. It just seems my shrinktube sleeve with velcro is a bit too much. But I did two short flights with rough-ish landings this afternoon with the MA installed, no velcro, only the hatch holding it and things were fine.

RG, If Huskies weren't prone to running off this would be the perfect way to tire my girl out! I'm sick of running circles in the backyard for a half hour since she hasn't learned the whole fetch thing yet.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:01 PM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
Hi Carl, that's just a bone stock ParkZone UM P-51 that I repainted and used some "Gunfighter" decals from Callie Graphics

-Mark
Mark,

That is a really nice paint job! Couldn't tell it was the same model.

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa