HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:36 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
607 Posts
So there was some talk a few pages back about lubing the gears on these micros. What do you use to lube them. I think mya t-28 and mustang might need to be lubed. They just seem louder than they once was.
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:06 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
First place to start is to try a new prop. An out of balance prop makes these things very loud.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by whichwaysup; Oct 05, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
So there was some talk a few pages back about lubing the gears on these micros. What do you use to lube them. I think mya t-28 and mustang might need to be lubed. They just seem louder than they once was.
Years ago a friend gave me some "sticky" lube, will not sling off gears.
At the time were were running gearbox electric gliders. Just a tiny dab would spread around on gears and not sling off. NAPA sells gear lube additive with same "sticky" substance. A tiny dab of that would do the trick.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
850 Posts
Maiden

Arrived a 4PM flies at 6!
Bit variable breeze maybe 3-4 knots.
Flew almost hands off, not as stable as CC but it is a War Bird and lighter!
Power was adequate for my taste, 66 here and need for speed not important anymore. Loops were OK but not into wind.

I was fine with performance, it handled wind fairly well for it's size and weight.

This is a nice addition to my War Birds, flying it with Mosquito is a real treat.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
I was thinking of doing a 2s conversion on one of these, but I feel that it is pretty impractical given the high weight of the Spitfire as is.

The battery alone (Eflite 2s 180mAh 20C) weighs 12g compared to 4g for the 1s 150mAh 25C battery.

Then factor in the heavier BL brick and the heavier 180 motor. I think it would fly like a pig...

Who's going to try a Bravo SX motor first?
mkcp40 is online now Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:47 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,781 Posts
http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...ProdID=PKZ5775 - much better for modding
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:24 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,492 Posts
So can this brick use an external esc?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:04 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,004 Posts
What they ( HH ) needs to do next is come out with a 2s brushless micro warbird,, I know, I know,, they got the MIG ( which is great) but how bout some good ole propeller WW2 birds
You listening HH???
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:32 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,004 Posts
Ok I'm gona go out on my soapbox now!! :-) so skip this post if you don't Wana listen
First ill start saying this bird has plenty of power for a warbird , maybe not great power to weight ratio but adequate . I maintain that it takes far more skill to maintain good smooth maneuvers while managing your kinetic energy as opposed to just pointing an overpowered unlimited vertical ballistic missile . I've seen quite a few RC pilots that like to mod their warbirds for ridiculous amounts of power but really can't fly that well , they maintain that the power gets them out of trouble, while that maybe true, how bout you use good flying abilities to get you out of trouble... Now flying a a 3d plane,, that's a different story,, then unlimited vertical is necessary :-). I mean real warbirds didn't have unlimited vertical.
Ok I'll shut up now. :-)
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post
I was thinking of doing a 2s conversion on one of these, but I feel that it is pretty impractical given the high weight of the Spitfire as is.

The battery alone (Eflite 2s 180mAh 20C) weighs 12g compared to 4g for the 1s 150mAh 25C battery.

Then factor in the heavier BL brick and the heavier 180 motor. I think it would fly like a pig...

Who's going to try a Bravo SX motor first?
Like to see someone do that mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
So can this brick use an external esc?
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:17 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
I have the bsx motor. Just dont have the spitfire yet1
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,844 Posts
The warbird does fly like a warbird...
not like my P-51 but it does fly scale that's for sure, and the as3x helps the most on that one
and not at all like my Polecat and SU26x
but I am like many who want more power like lots of other pilots of this plane
a simple 1s brushless bolt in inrunner would be sweet!!
not over kill, but kicks up the watt/lb radio for more sporting fun flying along with pull the stick back scale flying

better to have to much power than not enough to pull up after a kill shot at the enemy
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:38 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
I have the bsx motor. Just dont have the spitfire yet1
That's exactly where I stand, Brother 'Sup!

(Another thing I don't have is: a plan for how to do the necessary motor mods.......call me clueless......)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
After seing the other pic with the 160's I thought since the dog was taking a nap I'd check fitment... Well, there's a problem. The Miniaviation 90 fits perfectly snug and the hatch closes correct. The problem is I use a sleeve with velcro on it so my batteries can servce as a fuel source in my mini-heli's and my planes. Considering how rarely I fly my heli's I may just buck up and put velcro on the MA's and then dedicate my remaining Thunder Power and Nano's to Heli duty... or I might see if I can't do some minor trimming.

As you can see the hatch won't close when the MA is sleeved

I do think it might be snug enough with the hatch closed to fly it nude, but I won't be able to test that out for a while. I suppose I could alternatively just cut off the battery holder on my heli's and superglue a velcro strip to them. Time will tell, but I figured I'd share the pics as they might help someone out.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:58 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
The warbird does fly like a warbird...
not like my P-51 but it does fly scale that's for sure, and the as3x helps the most on that one
and not at all like my Polecat and SU26x
but I am like many who want more power like lots of other pilots of this plane
a simple 1s brushless bolt in inrunner would be sweet!!
not over kill, but kicks up the watt/lb radio for more sporting fun flying along with pull the stick back scale flying

better to have to much power than not enough to pull up after a kill shot at the enemy
Yes, a bolt in 1s brushless inrunner WOULD be perfect