HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
You sure? Ive never heard of a pager motor having cogging. The cooling holes you see have been standard on there 8.5mm black endbells for a while, your mustang is probably from before that time, since the mustang was the first 8.5mm black endbell.
sorry, not cogging but does have more "resistance" when I turn over the gear box
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:59 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
Ok, i feel like that's just the gearbox. Ive had pager/gearbox setups from horizon hobby go from silky smooth to gunky, and once the pinion wasnt straight! Also pager motors tend to have a 10% variance in output power. BL55, becuase the gear box is close, you might want to add some lube, or even better, use some dry lubricant. Also make sure the shaft is not on too tight, you want a little forward backward play in it.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:24 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I like someones comment about a 1s in runner to replace the stock brushed motor

OK, just put on the P-51 2 blader but looks a little off...
and off to the park.. give me about a half hour to come back for a flight report..
by the way, I can't get the 4 blader to fit the P-51 and I will show why when I get back...

Maybe I missed it, but how did it fly with the mustang prop?
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:25 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
643 Posts
This might be kind of off topic, but how important is it I have a spinner on these micros?
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
This might be kind of off topic, but how important is it I have a spinner on these micros?
At this scale and flying speeds---Not important at all...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Quote:
It adds some extra cushion to a crash which kinda helps protect the related parts...

I haven't got to crash mine yet (I would have had the first major crash considering my skill level, and I could have commented on the durability) as we rescued a dog from the pound this morning and a couple hours later the plane showed up at the door. It'll be a few weeks until I can fly since we have all the fun dog training stuff to do I'll be hounding this thread even more feverously now
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,096 Posts
Quote:
Ok, i feel like that's just the gearbox. Ive had pager/gearbox setups from horizon hobby go from silky smooth to gunky, and once the pinion wasnt straight! Also pager motors tend to have a 10% variance in output power. BL55, becuase the gear box is close, you might want to add some lube, or even better, use some dry lubricant. Also make sure the shaft is not on too tight, you want a little forward backward play in it.
to me it feels like the motor has more magnet power....
not the gears..
I did do a lube job on it yesterday
thank you
Last edited by brushless55; Oct 04, 2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: thanks
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,096 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I missed it, but how did it fly with the mustang prop?
nothing missed
well I took it out, and had a pocket full of lipos with me
but only used 2 for about 2min each
2blade prop not impressed
it maybe had a tad more thrust but that was it and possibly slower
almost made a nice loop... "almost"

and take a look at these pictures... do we think this could be the biggest reason this 4 blade (cool looking) Spitfire is having issues vs my P-51?
cuz seriously my P-51 has lots more zip than the Spit

can someone figure out the % difference in weight for me?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:59 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
The Spit is 145% of the Mustang or 45% heavier
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
The Spit is 145% of the Mustang or 45% heavier
WOW, thank you!

so maybe this is why me and a couple others feel like this plane feels sluggish in the air...
and why my P-51 is faster...
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
I would really love to see a brushless upgrade of this plane. The only big issues are weight and where to store a battery.

As soon as someone figures it out, I'll probably follow their lead.
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:34 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I'm telling you guys put in a bravo sx motor in it first. I still haven't maimed mine, weather has been crappy! Fly her stock if I want more grabbing an sx motor from rcbabbel.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:15 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
BL55, the weight of the spit was released along with all info, it is has never been a secret, and has been much discussed and has caused alot of the anticipation along with the four blade if it would be fast enough to fly scale, since we could tell from the parts listing that the motor and gearbox is the same as their previous micro warbirds. The weight is in all the scale details over the mustang, the plastic guns, the plastic clear canopy, gear doors, are the intercoolers plastic? So that also explains why the UM corsair is so heavy, but the spit weighs even more becuase of the weight of the larger servos that the AS3X demands.
If you buy an SX motor from rc babbel, thats $130 for an as3x, ultra scale, powerful enough for authoritative scale flying micro Spitfire!
EDIT: oh! and the plastic exhuasts
Last edited by airpower; Oct 05, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3,096 Posts
Quote:
BL55, the weight of the spit was released along with all info, it is has never been a secret
who said it was???
just sharing some light on why this is not as fast as we thought it might be
and this is something not talked about since it was released...
some are selling them cuz of the lack of performance from this plane, and some want to know why..
this is why we have these forums to share what we are finding for our selves
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:33 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
Well, i shouldnt say since it was "released." I should say when the information page on Horizonhobby.com was released. The weight+four bladed prop was discussed and anticipated as something we thought would make it sluggish, but hoped there was magic in the prop, i would say it was the main question we had after HH released the info. Im sorry if my previous post seemed to look down a bit on you, i think i was just a little irked that you thought the weight difference was a discovery, sometimes its hard for anyone to realize that re-explaining things is not a bad thing, and everyone takes in information at different rates, especially on the information hungry internet.