HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:55 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,956 Posts
Bravo SX motor, converted by the famous, powerful, and great-to-deal with RC Babbel. My Mustang went from fast enough to almost too fast for my flying area. Oddly, I put one in my corsair and it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference, but my Mustang is now a pony on steroids. They are expensive if you buy it from RC Babbel, but so far I haven't heard of one burning out. I've gone through a ridiculous number of stock motors before I finally bit the bullet and bought a couple.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
330 Posts
How is the spit's speed compared to the polecat?
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:22 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
GO BACK AND READ AGAIN---More sloooooowly this time!!!...And PLEASE put down the HH coolaid...

One guy stated here that the Spitty was slower than his Mustang...This, in my book, places the Spitty in the Champ catagory as the Champ is slower than the Mustang...YUCK!!!......My Mustang is purely a rank beginners plane with its undercambered airfoil...The Spitty being described as being slower than a 1S Mustang doesn't appeal to me...I was expecting the Spitty to be a real barn burner--A performer!!!...NOT to be a 1S beginners plane introducing them to AS3X flying...I'll pass---But I will do a 2S brushless conversion...I have a non-AS3X Sbach system ready to go in something...

Soon, I suspect, there will be a Spitty modification thread!!!........Bring it on......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:00 PM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,151 Posts
.....you expected it to be a performer? Hh Never sId or implied, just fast enough to do scale manuevers. Other people implied it seemed faster than the other pz warbirds, jury is out.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:02 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post
I don't really understand why everyone expects something spectacular. Its just another UM warbird, but with AS3X.

I'm expecting it to feel heavy and more scale than the micro Corsair, and that's just about it. They're nice parkflyers/indoor flyers and not meant to be much more
great way to put it!
still a fun park flyer no matter how you fly it
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:05 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
GO BACK AND READ AGAIN---More sloooooowly this time!!!...And PLEASE put down the HH coolaid...

One guy stated here that the Spitty was slower than his Mustang...This, in my book, places the Spitty in the Champ catagory as the Champ is slower than the Mustang...YUCK!!!......My Mustang is purely a rank beginners plane with its undercambered airfoil...The Spitty being described as being slower than a 1S Mustang doesn't appeal to me...I was expecting the Spitty to be a real barn burner--A performer!!!...NOT to be a 1S beginners plane introducing them to AS3X flying...I'll pass---But I will do a 2S brushless conversion...I have a non-AS3X Sbach system ready to go in something...

Soon, I suspect, there will be a Spitty modification thread!!!........Bring it on......

Kevin
My um P-51 does zip around more than the Spit, but to make the Spit 2s.
that would be very cool
can you show me and others what parts needed to make this happen
thanks
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:12 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
For those of you with one, how much would you AS3X adds to the scale appearance in the air? Like compared to a none AS3X warbird? I first thought of scale applications when i first heard of AS3X.
IMO
I think the as3x adds a lot to the scale flying look of this plane
I really like slow it down as it passes by, looks very scale about 40ft away

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Hmmm. Either your Mustang's motor is burnt out, or your champ is on steroids! My mustang is the fastest of my 1S (even when I had the stock brushless in it) and had a surprisingly good vertical. If this thing is a little slower than my mustang, that would put it in the same realm as my corsair (w/ 2 blade prop), but with less dihedral and the gyro, which would give it some increased wind tolerance over the corsair.

I do want to hear how a 2 blader would fare on it - It would break my heart to take the four blader off, but performance wise, it has to be better .
I was going to try one on mine but we have a cold front coming in and it brought some 15-25mph winds with some big gusts
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Last edited by brushless55; Oct 03, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:30 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
My um P-51 does zip around more than the Spit, but to make the Spit 2s.
that would be very cool
can you show me and others what parts needed to make this happen
thanks
Sure!!!...

Here is the motor---2900kv of PURE HOT POWER!!!...This motor ROCKS with a 5030 or 5043 GWS prop---But has MORE than enough poop to turn the stock 4 blade prop with authority!!!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2900kv.html

Here is the ESC I would use for 2 to 3S... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

This ESC is rated for 2S but not guaranteed for 3S...Trust me--With a 2900kv motor you won't need 3S!!!...

All you need to do to get this combo to run with the stock brick is to look back on the threads that take the motor signal to run an external ESC through the Xport...Turn the Xport on and mix the Xport to the throttle channel....

Personally, I would just buy the parts to make a "kit"...I would then buy a Beast AS3X brick that includes the two servos for the elevator and rudder...Buy one servo for the ailerons as per stock...I would buy a motor in the 2500kv range---The stock Eflite 2500kv motor is a great choice...

Here are a few pics of my Sbach converted to AS3X...The same principles apply!!!..Last pic is with a 3S Hyperion 240mAh pack...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Oct 04, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:37 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,930 Posts
Kevin, is it possible to take the guts out of my Sbach and put in my Spit?
that 2500kv motor would be crazy in this plane with the 4 blade prop on 2s!
the new 3D version is coming out I hope next month and will replace my V1
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:57 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Kevin, is it possible to take the guts out of my Sbach and put in my Spit?
that 2500kv motor would be crazy in this plane with the 4 blade prop on 2s!
the new 3D version is coming out I hope next month and will replace my V1
Easy to do for a modeler experienced and confident if you have accomplished such mods in the past...I have an Sbach brick with 4 servos ready to go into my Champ on floats...Personally---I think that AS3X is da BOMB and would use Beast AS3X guts to do the Spitty conversion...This plane deserves as much!!!...(The Spitty is a GREAT looking plane that deserves to perform as well as it looks)...Just think about it---On 2S you will have a scale warbird that will POWER through HUGE loops and with AS3X groove in the wind as though it were a plane 10X its size!!!...NO MORE wimpy loops where the plane just barely makes it to the top of the loop, falls over, and recovers to what looked like a vertical stall to those watching from the pits......Seriously---The Beast AS3X Beast guts would be very simple to incorporate into the Spitty...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:07 AM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Easy to do for a modeler experienced and confident if you have accomplished such mods in the past...I have an Sbach brick with 4 servos ready to go into my Champ on floats...Personally---I think that AS3X is da BOMB and would use Beast AS3X guts to do the Spitty conversion...This plane deserves as much!!!...(The Spitty is a GREAT looking plane that deserves to perform as well as it looks)...Just think about it---On 2S you will have a scale warbird that will POWER through HUGE loops and with AS3X groove in the wind as though it were a plane 10X its size!!!...NO MORE wimpy loops where the plane just barely makes it to the top of the loop, falls over, and recovers to what looked like a vertical stall to those watching from the pits......Seriously---The Beast AS3X Beast guts would be very simple to incorporate into the Spitty...

Kevin
Ok, so it sounds like the stock as3x can't be used with the Sbach guts..
and yeah, the loops on this 1s plane, well......
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:07 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
NitroCharged's Avatar
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
The Beast board would need to be reprogrammed to warbird setting.....
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:09 AM
Registered User
I R Irv's Avatar
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Kevin, is it possible to take the guts out of my Sbach and put in my Spit?
that 2500kv motor would be crazy in this plane with the 4 blade prop on 2s!
the new 3D version is coming out I hope next month and will replace my V1
I think the only real broblem is where you going to put a 2-cell battery in the Spit? You should open up the Spit and post some pics of the inside for us.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:32 AM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
The Beast board would need to be reprogrammed to warbird setting.....
Easy enough to do with the $10 dongle/programmer cable from HH...


Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:40 AM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,151 Posts
Wouldnt an SX motor solve everything much more simply and elegantly?
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E-flite UMX MiG 15 Ducted Fan Jet with AS3X Bowerz Micro Ready-to-Fly 139 Nov 03, 2014 05:46 PM
Article Horizon Hobby Blade mQX Micro Quad-Copter with AS3X RTF & BNF Review Michael Heer Multirotor Talk 30 Feb 22, 2013 09:47 AM
New Product E-Flite UMX Mig 15 with AS3X! Bowerz Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 4 Jan 16, 2012 08:02 PM
Discussion UMX S-Bach or Beast 3d (with AS3X)? The Spirit 3D Foamies 6 Jan 07, 2012 06:41 AM
Sold Eflite UMX Beast 3D BNF with AS3X Technology baddb1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Dec 19, 2011 06:42 AM