SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:18 AM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
The E-Flite bird definitely needs bigger wheels...

Having Fun Never Gets Old (2 min 0 sec)

cheers
Uwe
anj4de is offline Find More Posts by anj4de
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:35 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcross View Post
That Cub is NOT hovering unless your definition is zero ground speed. ASI is indicating 0 due to errors. Any plane can do that if wind speed = airspeed and your ASI is wrong.
Were you there? If not, you are speculating as to what the actual TAS was.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:50 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,047 Posts
Quote:
That Cub is NOT hovering unless your definition is zero ground speed. ASI is indicating 0 due to errors. Any plane can do that if wind speed = airspeed and your ASI is wrong.
It looks like he is doing a harrier. His attitude looks way beyond stall. There may be an error in the ASI, but it's also probably way out of its normal operating range. His static pitot may actually be taking air in at that angle, negating it's normal static reading,

Also, the little flap thing on the dynamic pressure pitot that keeps bugs from crawling in is probably down since there is not enough airspeed to flip it up.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:27 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,641 Posts
Sorry Joel, I didn't realize you were flying for that video.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:39 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,814 Posts
Quote:
Sorry Joel, I didn't realize you were flying for that video.
Mcross,

I wasn't there. But then, I wasn't speculating, either. I didn't choose the word 'hover' in the video title. Presumably, either the camera guy or the aircraft manufacturer did.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:02 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faethor View Post
Silverexpress- Walkera has a scale Cub with 3-axis gyro, I first saw the video for it a couple of months back.

TP- That Carbon Cub is unbelievable! It appears the propeller changes direction before take-off. A breaking method for STOL landings?

Jay
I'm aware of that plane. It made a real, and I mean real brief introduction by Nitroplanes. They never followed thru. Again, it makes me wonder if it's due to patents by Horizon. Also makes me wonder if HK will be offering micro and orange rx's with their own version of AS3X?

I personally cannot get myself to fly a non AS3X micro anymore (with the exception of my UM Stryker, it's my early morning/early evening flyer). Flying a non-AS3x would be like going back to watching a standard TV with a rotary channel knob.

Anyhow, it's fun to watch a company take a leap of fatih and score big. What a lead Horizon has taken.

Keep an eye on that UMX Geebee thread......
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:00 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
425 Posts
Are the Gee Bees in stock yet? One part on there site says yes, the other no...
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:43 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Since you dislike "handouts" so much, I expect that your car has a manual transmission, manual brakes, steering by armstrong, no anti-lock brakes, no power windows, no power door locks, and no A/C? But you're on the 'net? Surely, you must dislike computers - so why are you online? After all - using your logic, the technologies above are simply "handouts".
Joel

FYI, some of us do prefer cars with manual steering and manual transmission and manual windows with no antilock brakes, no traction control and if I could get them no airbags. I could easily live without power locks and never use the AC in my car because with the small engines I drive it really impacts the fuel mileage. The vacuum assist brakes are nice but I would probably adjust to no assist if any car offered it, works just fine on my motorcycle.

That said the gyro technology offered in these planes is interesting, I can't say one way or the other because I don't own a plane that offers it. I would probably like it.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:52 PM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
Hi...

What I wonder...we now have two new Super Cubs from HH, the larger one in wood and the micro...what is missing is one in the 1200mm rage, EPO with all the bells and whistles as well...so Parkzone, were is your Super Cub?

cheers
Uwe

PS: I am still saying...larger wheels!
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:01 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
I'm aware of that plane. It made a real, and I mean real brief introduction by Nitroplanes. They never followed thru. Again, it makes me wonder if it's due to patents by Horizon. Also makes me wonder if HK will be offering micro and orange rx's with their own version of AS3X?

I personally cannot get myself to fly a non AS3X micro anymore (with the exception of my UM Stryker, it's my early morning/early evening flyer). Flying a non-AS3x would be like going back to watching a standard TV with a rotary channel knob.

Anyhow, it's fun to watch a company take a leap of fatih and score big. What a lead Horizon has taken.

Keep an eye on that UMX Geebee thread......
This plane looks like a real winner for HH... and I really want one.

I like the idea of AS3X - it's a great idea to build planes that can be flown from any mid-sized park but flies like a much bigger plane. Add in the built-in lighting and the float set, and this little baby seems like a really versatile and fun bird.

HH has the right idea here - build UM-sized planes that you can fly over your lunch break and fit in a small car, but are still fun to fly even in less-than-ideal conditions. It sounds like they've got that sweet spot down pat.

I'd been thinking of getting the full-size Icon A5, but this bird is really tempting me. If this flies as well as it looks like it does, it's gonna be a real winner.

Damn, HH is really dominating the UM space these days - and will probably also be dominating my wallet too...
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:37 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatControl View Post
I'd been thinking of getting the full-size Icon A5, but this bird is really tempting me.
Same here 'til I read the Icon thread, looks like everyone is talking about "tail wag" transitioning from high speed to low speed. Might want to take a peek over at that thread before you buy. But I want this Carbon Cub SS right now!!! I'll also take that ASK-21, if I can just figure out how to fly both at the same time so I can tow the glider up to altitude!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:34 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Same here 'til I read the Icon thread, looks like everyone is talking about "tail wag" transitioning from high speed to low speed. Might want to take a peek over at that thread before you buy. But I want this Carbon Cub SS right now!!! I'll also take that ASK-21, if I can just figure out how to fly both at the same time so I can tow the glider up to altitude!

I have that exact same problem. after we get them why don't you stop by my house in the evenings and we can fly together.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
i had to pass on the last three as3x micros to come out( nothing exciting for me), but this thing is what i have been waiting for! Its awesome, and more than what i expected from HH for a micro bushplane with flaps. The lights are awesome and i love the color scheme. I am so tired of seeing yellow cubs, they just bore me anymore... I think that they could have made it a bit lighter, but i think it will still fly great, especially with the AS3X tech. Very cool and i will have one. This is the only plane to come out that has actually excited me. Love the glider towing.. i wouldn't have even thought of that. Nice one HH!
airtimeallen is offline Find More Posts by airtimeallen
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:14 PM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
Report from Nürnberg

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585594

cheers
Uwe
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:18 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)