Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:52 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzo View Post
it seems inflation is a real b....
Pricing for 2012 Carbon Cub SS ready-to-fly with the standard features: $163,280
http://www.cubcrafters.com/carboncubss/howtobuy

really neat planes though, but well above my pay grade
Kit is only 67K, so here you go... Bet ya you only need one Allen key too (IKEA style)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:08 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,979 Posts
IDK... $170 for a 5ch bl Champ with lights and flaps (is asex really needed on this one?!) - good thing they're releasing ask21 'to go with it' , lots of people jumping on that bandwagon. My only issue (these are cool planes) is the paying $170 for an UM. In my mind the worst thing HH can do for Ultra Micros is make them all with expensive a3x! Imo the best thing they could do is sell all the old non-as3x UMs for $79 now. Lets see it Horizon $79 ar6400 UMs, start the craze again!
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, LA, Patterson
Joined Feb 2011
139 Posts
Capital idea elvill. That would be awesome, as there's still a couple of the UM's I don't have yet, though it seems now with the offering of the Spitfire with the fancy gyro, maybe that's the way they'll all be some day. For sure though, the left-over plain ones oughta be let go cheap. Get 'em off the shelf!
This new Cub though doesn't seem like a true "Ultra Micro" to me as it's a few inches more than my little Champ, and quite a few more than say the Parkzone UM's.
sheldonc is offline Find More Posts by sheldonc
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:48 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post
In my mind the worst thing HH can do for Ultra Micros is make them all with expensive a3x!
Not sure why you think that!. I want them ALL with AS3X from now on! Look closely, the extra cost from the AS3X technology doesn't increase the price at all, so it seem to me that in fact, the newer airplanes are "cheaper" than the old ones! MEMS gyro are expensive, so sure enough, the receiver should cost more yet, we don't pay more than previously:

A few examples:

1S
new Spitfire with AS3X: $99.99
Old Corsair: $109.99
Old Mustang: $99.99
Old Trojan: $99.99

2S
New Gee Bee or Carbon Cub or Mig 15: All selling for $169.99
Old Sbach or old Beast: $169.99
New Beast 3D is cheaper but doesn't include battery or charger.

So are the new airplanes more expensive because of the AS3X technology? NO! Sure enough, the older one now look expensive, since for the same price you get the extra MEMS gyros for free in the new airplanes. More than likely the price of the old airplanes will drop soon because of that. (They did that for the old Beast....) I'm sure HH could have pass the extra cost of the AS3X to us, but instead, kept the same prices.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:14 PM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC4123 View Post
Bush flying this summer!
not with those tiny wheels...we need bigger Tundra wheels here, any ideas?

cheers
Uwe
anj4de is offline Find More Posts by anj4de
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:30 PM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
852 Posts
I will buy both the Gee Bee and the carbon cub. Until now, it was difficult to find light 24" planes, and one had the opportunity to build our own models.
Now, with the cub, and more planes of that kind that are going to be made by Horizon Hobby, i think i'm going to stop building for outdoor....
indoor_fr is offline Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:45 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
thats why people love seeing my videos of me reviewing and flying them i'm more like the "average pilot" here have a look if you haven't already

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChuckTSeeker?feature=mhee

boy i hope i get a pre release cub to try out i will be buying this one and the UMX ASK-21, what a great combo

cheers chuck
I'll be looking forward to your review of both of those Chuck!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post
IDK... $170 for a 5ch bl Champ with lights and flaps (is asex really needed on this one?!) - good thing they're releasing ask21 'to go with it' , lots of people jumping on that bandwagon. My only issue (these are cool planes) is the paying $170 for an UM. In my mind the worst thing HH can do for Ultra Micros is make them all with expensive a3x! Imo the best thing they could do is sell all the old non-as3x UMs for $79 now. Lets see it Horizon $79 ar6400 UMs, start the craze again!
Elvill,

It is not a Champ! It is a nearly scale rendition of a current-production, ultra-high-performance light-plane.

Here are a couple examples of what the full-scale Carbon Cub can do. It is an absolutely astounding aircraft!

Carbon Cub Launch (0 min 18 sec)

Carbon Cub SS on Amphibs! (1 min 52 sec)

Why AS3X? To make the CC fly similarly to a larger-scale plane, and to dramatically improve its ability to handle wind & turbulence. After all - if you're towing sailplanes, there's a good chance that you'll run into a bit of turbulence & wind.

Remember - size is only a measure of worth when it comes to commodities - and even then, it's not all that reliable. Which is worth more, given equal cost - a larger container of low-quality product, or a smaller container of high-quality product? With most things electronic & mechanical, very small & very large is expensive.

Besides - as RG pointed out - AS3X did not increase the price of these planes.

I am very glad to see the new technology in micros. I hope they take it to the hilt! I have no desire to go back to twitchy airframes, poor wind-handling, single aileron servos, no flaps, no extras, no detailing. I'd absolutely love to see many more full-featured, scale UMs with AS3X. Brushless counter-rotating twins; planes with flaps, retracts, functional canards, switchable nav lights w/strobe & landing lights, telemetry, micro-FPV; true-scale UM warbirds with real airfoils, flaps & retracts; scale thrust-vectoring jet fighters; a V-22 Osprey; a micro-motorglider with a full-flying tail, ailerons, flaps, spoilers - and the ability to set up crow. I hope they develop all of the above - and more!

I'm sure that they will continue to make some of the more popular entry-level 8.5mm brushed UMs, but I'm betting that they will put much more effort into expanding their detailed, full-featured scale AS3X-equipped line of micros in an effort to appeal to a wider audience. For instance, the larger-scale balsa guys have traditionally stayed away from micros, due to their twitchy, non-scale flight-behavior. Micros no longer need to be twitchy, nor do they need to be flown in ideal conditions to be fun. I know quite a few large & giant-scale pilots who are all-of-a-sudden paying close attention to the UM world, solely because of AS3X & detailed, scale UMs that fly big. The game has most definitely changed, and it is not going back to the way it was. And, I couldn't be happier!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 03, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:39 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
As is Horizon has no competiton at the moment. They can one day charge quite a hefty premium for this technology in their micro planes if it stays this way.

There is nothing out there that can match the performance of an AS3X plane.....yet.....

It is interesting to note that Futaba pioneered the use of gyros in airplanes with their GYA350, GYA351, and GYA352. The world just wasn't ready yet back then (late 90's-2007). Where is Futaba in this arena? This makes me wonder if Horizon cornered the market with patents or just got plane luckyl. Lol.

Anyhow, with the added stability that AS3X offers less focus is placed on a clean air frame that is
more prone to being crashed. Just compare the UM Mustang to the scale details of the Spitfire and this Cub.

We're still at the forefront. I can't even imagine what the next batch of offerings will be.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Feb 03, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:06 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
As is Horizon has no competiton at the moment. They can one day charge quite a hefty premium for this technology in their micro planes if it stays this way.

There is nothing out there that can match the performance of an AS3X plane.....yet.....

It is interesting to note that Futaba pioneered the use of gyros in airplanes with their GYA350, GYA351, and GYA352. The world just wasn't ready yet back then (late 90's-2007). Where is Futaba?This makes me wonder if Horizon cornered the market with patents or just got plane lucky. Lol.
Hobbico is about 3 years behind HH, but they are doing the right things with their new Brick and Anylink and WWI planes and the 2S system in the F-86.

Anylink puts the end to any thought of a Futaba FASST compatible micro now or in the Future, but you'll be at least able to use your TX.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:55 PM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
Silverexpress- Walkera has a scale Cub with 3-axis gyro, I first saw the video for it a couple of months back.

TP- That Carbon Cub is unbelievable! It appears the propeller changes direction before take-off. A breaking method for STOL landings?

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Nov 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
After just now watching the video I am going to have to share one of my pet peeves.

It seems that every manufacturer video shows the high wing monoplanes flying like they are rockets with all the aerobatic maneuvers. While that is cool and all, it would be nice to see them fly slow in a scale like fashion. Just about any plane can be flown fast, but not many can be flown slow. To be fair, it does look like the conditions might have been windy.

Also on the models with flaps, they rarely show them being used. It did look like maybe once or twice on takeoffs they were being used because it jumped into the air, but that also can happen when it is windy. And on one landing they were probably used, but no slow fly bys. Plenty of rocket ship fly bys.

Check out Banana Hobby Cessna videos and even the Hobbico Cessna video. Flaps are mentioned as a selling point but don't seem to be used much. The review here on the e-zone of the Hobbico Cessna does show it being slowed down on a lot of low passes by the flaps in the video and that is what I like.

It is an awesome little plane, but I'll wait to see how much she can slow down first. Plus the lower the speed the smaller area it can fly in.

I know this is a rant of mine, but does anyone else feel the same way?
The exact same thought crossed my mind as soon as I finished watching the HH video of it. Looks like it does fly great, but I wanted to see it do some slow flight with flaps in, and obvious shots of it coming in with flaps down. Another thing I wish they highlighted in the video was the lights. Should've tossed in a quick clip of it flying around dusk, lights on and cruisin slow. Would've really sold the realism of the model.

All in all, this is exactly what I've been waiting for in a UM plane. It's scale enough to enjoy it's beauty standing still and small enough to walk outside and cruise around with it. Then they exceeded my ideals and tossed on a tow hook for it for a sweet lookin glider. Making a single plane excellent fun for you and a good friend. Great thinking on that one! On top of that they made it have optional floats! Just in time for the spring/summer flying season! I've wanted to add a float plane to my fleet for as long as I've been flying RC's (only a few years now). Plenty of small lakes and ponds all around my house, so I'll get plenty of time making good use of those floats. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these, but will probably have to wait a few months after they're actually in stock. Lookin forward to seeing the home videos of this baby flying.
Des Andeddu is offline Find More Posts by Des Andeddu
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:31 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,426 Posts
Hovering a full-scale Carbon Cub

Jay,

Yes, the CC is an amazing aircraft! It can do a number of 'model airplane tricks' - something very few full-scale aircraft can do - and then, it's usually only certain highly-modified unlimited aerobatic ships that are capable of such things. The prop isn't really changing direction. It's a video artifact called the 'wagon-wheel effect' - or more technically - temporal aliasing.

If you think that was good - watch this. The guy is hovering a CC!

Hovering a CubCrafters Carbon Cub (1 min 27 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:57 AM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
Joel-

That's one of the funkiest things I've seen- wish they'd have had a chase plane filming!

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:59 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,651 Posts
That Cub is NOT hovering unless your definition is zero ground speed. ASI is indicating 0 due to errors. Any plane can do that if wind speed = airspeed and your ASI is wrong.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross