SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:08 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,967 Posts
I went ahead and put one of these CCs in my hangar today. I am away from home and only have my DX6i with me, but I will be switching to my DX8 when I get home. My first flight was after dark under the street lamps. I thought that with the LEDs and so forth, I would be able to see it well enough. This proved to be very incorrect. I clipped a power line...and clipped a tree branch. Barely a scratch on the plane, but I will wait for daylight. I put the floats on this evening, so snow operations will be in order tomorrow. I had a bad warp in the rudder causing a nasty left turn tendency. I got that straightened out and I look fwd to more flights with this little machine. Can never have too many Cubs.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:04 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I went ahead and put one of these CCs in my hangar today. I am away from home and only have my DX6i with me, but I will be switching to my DX8 when I get home. My first flight was after dark under the street lamps. I thought that with the LEDs and so forth, I would be able to see it well enough. This proved to be very incorrect. I clipped a power line...and clipped a tree branch. Barely a scratch on the plane, but I will wait for daylight. I put the floats on this evening, so snow operations will be in order tomorrow. I had a bad warp in the rudder causing a nasty left turn tendency. I got that straightened out and I look fwd to more flights with this little machine. Can never have too many Cubs.

-Cub
Yeah those tiny SMD type leds are not enough for night flight. They do allow you to fly for about 30 min more into dusk though. The main problem is there are no lights visible from behind the plane or above. With the lights being technically under the wing tip they are only visible from the front and underneath. However when you bank you're looking at the top of the wing and see nothing!!

I agree one can never have to many cubs!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:12 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
I'm old enough to remember Lt Cmdr Richard Schram, the original "flying professor". He did a similar (and I believe much better) routine back in the 60's, traveling the air show circuit and often appearing with the Blue Angels.

He didn't take his own airplane on the circuit but flew a Cub owned by someone else at each stop. As was often the case with air show performers, eventually something went wrong and Schram was killed during a show.

As was also often the case, his routine was a family affair. His son was narrating the show the day he crashed.
Now that takes me back a few years! I do remember watching the 'Flying Professor' one time at an Air Force base dedication ceremony somewhere around '66-'68. Must have been just a year or two before he bought the farm. Yeah - he was great! I remember that he ended his routine with a half-roll to inverted flight followed by a half-loop to final - all while deadstick! Had not thought about that in years.

I also remember that an F-104 did a full-burner supersonic low-level pass right over us that day. I remember standing on a table in an attempt to get closer to it. The shockwave early knocked me off the table! I absolutely loved it! I really miss the days of hearing sonic booms. Used to hear 'em many times a day up in my hometown, as there is an Air Force playground just south of there. I got to the point where I could ID them by their sonic boom signatures. Sort of like knowing which plane & pilot was talking-off on the river by listening to the engine & prop sounds. But I digress....

Was hoping to get in a few ROS flights in the yard yesterday. Temp was supposed to be around +37F, with a light 3-5 MPH breeze. Woke up to 3-4 inches of fresh fluff. Perfect! Got ready to fly, and the freezing rain started. Ended up flying the MV & nCPX in the house, instead.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:11 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Some new news courtesy of on e of the other CC threads.
A custom software that allows independent incremental gain adjustment on each surface and (possibly) a way to enable and disable the gyros remotely using channel 5. Also stick override priority for each axis as well.

Software here. I am hosting this at my personal webserver. Files have been scanned with Kaspersky 2013 and clean of malware/spyware/virus.

-Brian
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:43 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
I got a pair of floats for my son for his 14th B-day last week. This is his first attempt at floats. The wind and weather had a little break for us to give them a try. He got them on and did a hand launch to get her trimmed out for the floats to get a feel of them. Flew around a couple minuets and came in for a landing. Came in pretty good but killed the throttle right before touchdown. Well, the front of the floats caught and nosed over. He freaked looking at his CC upside down in the water. He jumped in a paddle boat and went out and flipped it over and dumped all the water from the cockpit. Then tried a water takeoff and flipped it again. Back to the paddle boat! After the 2 flips, he had it figured it out with several good take offs and landings!!! He really loved the water!

Is there something he needs to do to dry it out in the cockpit?
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:59 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
I got a pair of floats for my son for his 14th B-day last week. This is his first attempt at floats. The wind and weather had a little break for us to give them a try. He got them on and did a hand launch to get her trimmed out for the floats to get a feel of them. Flew around a couple minuets and came in for a landing. Came in pretty good but killed the throttle right before touchdown. Well, the front of the floats caught and nosed over. He freaked looking at his CC upside down in the water. He jumped in a paddle boat and went out and flipped it over and dumped all the water from the cockpit. Then tried a water takeoff and flipped it again. Back to the paddle boat! After the 2 flips, he had it figured it out with several good take offs and landings!!! He really loved the water!

Is there something he needs to do to dry it out in the cockpit?
Well, as long as there is no water on the internal servos or receiver it should be fine. The newer CC with the holes in the windshield has a MUCH higher water intake rate! If it is going to be flown off water exclusively, You can put a small piece of clear tape over the windscreen hole and this will help keep water out and be easily removable.

On all landings you never want to kill the power but water especially! Float flying will reinforce the correct procedure of manage descent with throttle and speed with elevator. On takeoffs hold full back elevator until the plane gets on step as well. Glad to hear he is enjoying the plane!

-Brian
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:41 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Well, as long as there is no water on the internal servos or receiver it should be fine. The newer CC with the holes in the windshield has a MUCH higher water intake rate! If it is going to be flown off water exclusively, You can put a small piece of clear tape over the windscreen hole and this will help keep water out and be easily removable.

On all landings you never want to kill the power but water especially! Float flying will reinforce the correct procedure of manage descent with throttle and speed with elevator. On takeoffs hold full back elevator until the plane gets on step as well. Glad to hear he is enjoying the plane!

-Brian

He's loving it! One correction though. We fly mostly at home and have a rough grass runway and most of our flying is hand launch and belly landing(no gear) so we do cut the throttle right on touchdown. Now, when we fly our bigger planes that do ok in the rough grass, hot landings are fun. Up until yesterday he was hand launching with no gear on the CC so I guess it was just a bad habit. I told him as he was coming in for his first landing to not slow it too quick but he didn't listen! Imagine that from a 14 year old boy!!!!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:16 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
He's loving it! One correction though. We fly mostly at home and have a rough grass runway and most of our flying is hand launch and belly landing(no gear) so we do cut the throttle right on touchdown. Now, when we fly our bigger planes that do ok in the rough grass, hot landings are fun. Up until yesterday he was hand launching with no gear on the CC so I guess it was just a bad habit. I told him as he was coming in for his first landing to not slow it too quick but he didn't listen! Imagine that from a 14 year old boy!!!!
lol very true, on a belly landing you do want to chop the power.

-Brian
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:41 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,169 Posts
I love doing power-off landings. They take some finesse but I like them. Of course, power-on is best for spot landings.
Sixinarow is online now Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Just want to say hello. Have not done RC for a long time. Saw the Gee Bee and had to get one. Have not had chance to fly it yet as weather not cooperative. In Chicopee MA right next to Springfield and watching the blizzard. Bought a Beast off a member tonight. Got the bug again. Between fly fishing and these little planes should be a good spring and summer this year. By the way Joel thanks you are the reason I convinced myself to get the Gee Bee. I registered on this site just to be able to get the bats off RCbabel lol. Well here we go again. Now I am looking at the kits in my basement and saying which one shall we build. Oh boy...
Platinum321 is offline Find More Posts by Platinum321
Last edited by Platinum321; Feb 09, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Carbon Cub on Snow

I just took my Carbon Cub out with floats for the first time. Of course it is Feb. in Chicagoland so there was no open water. Tried it on the snow and the CC worked like a champ. In fact I think the snow is a great way to practice for water take offs and landings. I suspect the snow is a bit more forgiving then water.
Liberty RC is offline Find More Posts by Liberty RC
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:24 PM
United States, PA, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2007
223 Posts
Deploying Flap on Carbon Cub with DX6I

How do you extend the flaps with the DX6I. I have the manual and it doesnt seem to be working. Are the flaps needed outside on grass? Can you handlaunch the airplane when flying on grass?

Great looking smaller Cub.

Chris
ChrisFlysRC is offline Find More Posts by ChrisFlysRC
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:18 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFlysRC View Post
How do you extend the flaps with the DX6I. I have the manual and it doesnt seem to be working. Are the flaps needed outside on grass? Can you handlaunch the airplane when flying on grass?

Great looking smaller Cub.

Chris
Do a search for flaps and Dx6i. It's a bit complicated and been awhile since I set mine up. "Handlaunch the airplane when flying on grass" does that mean that you'd take the wheels off and handlaunch and belly land on grass? If so, I don't think anyone does that. The beauty of the CC for me is that it's made me a better pilot as taking off and landing the CC is quite different than my other UMX planes. IT would seem a shame to belly land the CC, quite undignified.
About the flaps and DX6i I found this posted by kalmon:
"quoted from kalmon"
Here is my dx6i setup for my CC:
adjust->flaps:
Norm: 0 0
Land up100 dn15

mix1: Flap -> Gear ACT
Rate: D: 0 U:+90
SW: Flap TRIM:ACT

mix2: Flap -> Gear ACT
Rate: D: 0 U:+100
SW: Mix TRIM ACT

-------------
The way it works is you use the flap switch to activate the flaps. The mix switch controls either full of half flaps. The only drawback to this is the "gear" switch will still override the flap and mix switch. The dx6i has no provision to override this behavior.
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, PA, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2007
223 Posts
Flaps on Carbon Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Do a search for flaps and Dx6i. It's a bit complicated and been awhile since I set mine up. "Handlaunch the airplane when flying on grass" does that mean that you'd take the wheels off and handlaunch and belly land on grass? If so, I don't think anyone does that. The beauty of the CC for me is that it's made me a better pilot as taking off and landing the CC is quite different than my other UMX planes. IT would seem a shame to belly land the CC, quite undignified.
About the flaps and DX6i I found this posted by kalmon:
"quoted from kalmon"
Here is my dx6i setup for my CC:
adjust->flaps:
Norm: 0 0
Land up100 dn15

mix1: Flap -> Gear ACT
Rate: D: 0 U:+90
SW: Flap TRIM:ACT

mix2: Flap -> Gear ACT
Rate: D: 0 U:+100
SW: Mix TRIM ACT

-------------
The way it works is you use the flap switch to activate the flaps. The mix switch controls either full of half flaps. The only drawback to this is the "gear" switch will still override the flap and mix switch. The dx6i has no provision to override this behavior.
Thanks for the reply. I will try the DX6I. It's a great radio but you have to hold the roller down to program. I have the manual. It good the manual explains everything but its not as fast as the DX7 I have been using.

I will hand launch from grass and land on the wheels. I never mentioned taking the wheels off. This is a airplane that even the suggestion of taking the main gear off and belly landing ruins the looks of the Cub. My mistake and even asking. I fly alot of micros and its normal to hand launch if dont use a paved runway.

A paved or concrete runway I shouldnt have any problem taking off like most RC flyers.

This airplane probably wont need the flaps added anyway due to the size and it being flown with the stabilization system installed in the airplane. It should help it be more stable in light wind around 5 mph.

It has a nice lighting system but the lights cant be views from the rear of the aircraft. It has no light on the rudder for reference and orientation. It might be fun to fly at dusk and close in flying.

I did fly one of the Hobby Zone Super Cubs to learn how to fly RC. I have advanced my flying skills since then and I had to purchase this Cub since it looks like the full scale Carbon Cub airplane.

I fly many micros but this cub has it all, looks, lights and a stability system, aero tow hookup you can't ask for more. Great design by EFlite. It's good to see a red cub design that's something different than most yellow Cubs popular with RC modelers everywhere.

Aeroworks has a larger version of this Cub with the similar paint sceme.

The Carbon Cub artical is found in the January 2013 issue of RC Sport Flyer Magazine.

The Aeroworks version and the EFlite version are both in the magazine.

Thanks for the above answers to my question. This artical has alot more information and answers most question of hand launching to hard surface takeoff and float flying.
ChrisFlysRC is offline Find More Posts by ChrisFlysRC
Last edited by ChrisFlysRC; Mar 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:06 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
United States, AR, Waldron
Joined Jan 2005
521 Posts
What do you mean by have to hold the roller down to program; the push in functions to select then release pressure and use the roller to adjust settings. Something is not right if you have to hold the roller down to program!!.
Denile is offline Find More Posts by Denile