HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:31 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,749 Posts
Ron,

I know what you mean. I've preached the evils of flaperons (especially on planes with outboard ailerons) for years. Some people get it, while others just can't seem to figure it out.

JCS,

Thanks! Some people probably get tired of me repeating all of that in nearly every AS3X plane thread - but I feel that those who regard the system as 'cheating' need to see the situation from a different perspective.

Matt,

I share your sentiments. I like to see more scale flying in promo videos. But it's not just the promos. At the club field, I so often see Cubs & other g/a planes flying around @ WOT tail-high. My standard line is "There goes another Turbo-Cub!" I tend to fly my scale planes in a manner similar to how the full-scale version is flown. I even propped my 1/4-scale Super Cub for a 75% cruise of 55 MPH, which is within a couple MPH of scale speed.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:40 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I want one . I was fixin to pop on a 58" Mustang or a Revolver, but this has my eye. I love the tech in it. I bet there are people who don't like A.C. or automatic transmissions on a bumper to bumper interstate crawl. Dave/Z
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:58 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Go figure, I scratch build a cub nearly the exact same size and then Horizon comes out with one. At least I can get a set of floats for mine now.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:41 AM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jul 2002
780 Posts
Eclipse 7,
Your cub is awesome!
Matt
Matt D. is offline Find More Posts by Matt D.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:11 AM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
It seems that every manufacturer video shows the high wing monoplanes flying like they are rockets with all the aerobatic maneuvers. While that is cool and all, it would be nice to see them fly slow in a scale like fashion. Just about any plane can be flown fast, but not many can be flown slow. To be fair, it does look like the conditions might have been windy.

The review here on the e-zone of the Hobbico Cessna does show it being slowed down on a lot of low passes by the flaps in the video and that is what I like.

It is an awesome little plane, but I'll wait to see how much she can slow down first. Plus the lower the speed the smaller area it can fly in.

I know this is a rant of mine, but does anyone else feel the same way?
Hi matt,

I agree.

Now, if we reduce the size of this cub to 20" (50 cm) (the size of the CHAMP), we find that the cub would weigh:

90 x (50/60)^4 = 43.4g. The CHAMP weighs 38g. In other words, the scale velocity of the Cub should be close to the scale velocity of the CHAMP, so it should be able to fly quite slowly.
indoor_fr is online now Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:20 AM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jul 2002
780 Posts
indoor from,
Hopefully you are right and maybe even slower since it has the flaps.

Are you still flying that little glider fuse I shipped you?
Matt D. is offline Find More Posts by Matt D.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ilkeston
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmd_man View Post
Just my 2 cents here, but I just don't get why all the fuss over the gyro thing...all they're doing is smartening up the plane to dumb down the pilot. If you need a gyro to fly any size Cub, you shouldn't be flying. Again, just my 2 cents, but the pilots not learning to handle a plane properly if the gyro is going to do all the correcting for the pilot in windy or rough conditions...no true skills learned or needed now.
So lets take the gyro off of the rc heli's !!! after all the full size heli's dont have a gyro !!!
Small plane outside = less stable due to wind and gusts so the gyro smooths that out.
Just because these mico's have it fitted it doesnt mean that is the way all rc plane flying is going !!
It just makes it more useable, its not a fail safe to stop you crashing its a stablizing aid.

Jim.
jimmyboy is offline Find More Posts by jimmyboy
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:47 AM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
^ I've flown the UMX Beast 3D, and much prefer my UMX Beast. The Beast 3D felt numb for lack of a better word. Gyro's do have their place, helis for one, I fly both areo and heli.
southernmd_man is online now Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:54 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,042 Posts
Concerning gyros pro and con, here's a parallel.

I play the fiddle and I look at frets on a guitar or mandolin as a crutch. Inexcusable that a competent musician should need such a thing.

However when it comes to playing chords they help a lot!

I play fiddle, but I have both a guitar and a mandolin and I've also got a bass viola da gamba which is a bowed, fretted instrument that is often played while fingering chords.

I fly gyro equipped planes when appropriate but most of my planes don't have gyros. I love flying and music and play or fly what is appropriate for the occasion.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:50 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,195 Posts
PeteSchug,

I agree with you re flying with gyro when it's appropriate. If I were training a new pilot, I'd much prefer the airplane had AS3X, because we could train even when the breeze is not conducive to flying. The gyro can be a confidence-builder for the new pilot, who should be advised by the instructor that the gyro is not a cure-all, and that there are a lot of good airplanes that don't have gyros, so must be handled with greater care.

Him R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:57 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
I think the key word for AS3x is "stability". It offers artificial stability to an unstable plane, but then allows you to exploit the aerobatic unstability when needed for agressive manauvers. AS3X is not an "easy fly" or "auto pilot", It just enhanced the good flight characterstics, and pushes out the bad.
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:59 PM
the Ford man
ontario
Joined Jun 2010
712 Posts
Well this cub looks very cool!! e-flite has done a great job!
I think I might just have to get one!

ford f47
ford f47 is offline Find More Posts by ford f47
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:36 PM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
indoor from,
Hopefully you are right and maybe even slower since it has the flaps.

Are you still flying that little glider fuse I shipped you?
Unfortunately,the glider is now dismantled (i had problem with some bad electric contacts and the servos which didn't stayed at their place inside the fuse ), but i will make something else soon.
indoor_fr is online now Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:03 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
It does...but too big!

Gene K
I think the Zero is the same size as the Carbon Cub... but yes, it's too big.

I was surprized this wasn't a mini Stinson, but this setup should go right into a mini stinson someday.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:03 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I think the Zero is the same size as the Carbon Cub... but yes, it's too big.
"Factory installed 300-size brushless outrunner motor and ESC
Nanolite Spektrum AR6310 DSMX® receiver installed"

Quote:
I was surprized this wasn't a mini Stinson, but this setup should go right into a mini stinson someday.
That would be nice - as well as into a Waco...and into a ....

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01