HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
elevator stuck

Servo locked up on second flight after a perfect first flight. Climbed 10ft up on takeoff and went inverted for a couple seconds before the servo let go and went in a nosedive to the pavement. Hopefully HH will just send me a new one. Sucks i have to wait though. Really enjoyed the maiden and thought i had a real winner until flight 2.
derrickh78 is offline Find More Posts by derrickh78
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:35 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
........Joel I have to admit I'm a little envious of all those awesome flying sites you have!
Especially the backyard and side yard. It looks like the side yard is probably about as small as I would want to fly it. Were you using flaps in that video?
I also liked the flybys by the lake. Those were awesome. I like close flybys too. I really thought you were going to go under that volleyball net once or twice.
Matt,

Thanks! I do have some nice places from which to fly. Much nicer than anywhere else I've lived. When I was house-hunting a couple years ago, I looked for a place that would be RC & ham radio friendly - hence the open yards & elbow-room between neighbors. RC pilots are very fortunate around here. There are five or more nice club fields within the greater Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area. Plus, we have a couple of large indoor spots for winter flying that are supported by local clubs.

I was using maybe 10-15 degrees of flaps while flying the figure-eights in my north yard. I retracted them for the loop & stall-turn, and then extended them again afterward, once plane slowed down. I was using half-flaps during a couple of the flybys at the lake. Funny - I actually thought about going under the net! But then I figured that 'doing the limbo' during my first-ever flight on floats may not be such a great idea. Maybe next time! The only problem with flying there is that the beach will be packed with kids on nice days, now that school's out. I may have to find a less-popular spot.

T-storms today - so no flying for me.Tomorrow's looking pretty good, though. 3-5 MPH winds & maybe a T-storm or two. Hope to get some flights in! I'll be testing RCBabbel's TP 325 mAh 65c UMX pack. I don't expect to see any increase in power in this app, given that there is no difference in static RPM between the Hyp 180 & 240 mAh 25c packs with the 2300Kv/5030 combo, and there is only a 100 RPM difference with the 2300Kv/5043 combo. However, I expect a considerable increase in performance in the Gee Bee, as the Hyp 450 25c pack provides a significant increase in net thrust & top-speed over the Hyp 320 25c pack - despite the extra weight.

For the CC, I am primarily interested in the TP 65c pack's 12c charge rate & 600-cycle lifespan. With 12c charging, one can charge at the field & fly aggressive flights non-stop all day long with only 2-3 packs per plane.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Apr 2008
382 Posts
Got mine yesterday and have five flights on it so far. Bound it to my 9303 and programmed down elevator in when flaps are deployed. I found I had to do quite a bit of trimming with the push rods as mine kept wanting to go left. Raised the right aileron slightly and lowered the left. Needed a little right rudder also. It flies nice and straight with centered trims now. I can fly it nice and slow around my yard. It seems to fly faster than a champ but slower or the same as my micro J3. Of course, it will really rip but I don't fly it that way. I have the floats coming as I really like to float fly and it will add to my stable. Love the lights flying it just at dusk and the flaps make for some pretty landings with just a tad of power on. Like was said here earlier, it can use just a little more up elevator for flaring but I haven't tried moving the wire in the horn yet. I think anyone worried about this plane being too fast need not to. Just fly it slower.
chistech is offline Find More Posts by chistech
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Mar 2006
7 Posts
Carbon Cub SS

Where can I buy one of these little guys?? All the places I've found online claim they are out of stock or back-ordered.
drbyrnes is offline Find More Posts by drbyrnes
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
I'm seeing the same issue. Does anyone have it in stock?
DIYJIM is offline Find More Posts by DIYJIM
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, WA, Sequim
Joined Apr 2002
65 Posts
the hobby store in sequim wa has them
k_ogre is offline Find More Posts by k_ogre
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,940 Posts
Here's some more slow-flying in the yard - along with a torque-roll & a spot-landing. First flight with the new Thunder Power G6 325 mAh 65c Babbelbatt. Plenty of grunt, 6-7 minute charges, and TP claims a 600 cycle lifespan! The CG is about perfect with the pack all the way to the rear of the compartment, as it is a bit heavier than the Hyp 320 pack. As you can see, the plane still has excellent slow-flying characteristics - despite the extra few grams.

UMX Carbon Cub - flying lazy circuits around the yard, power-climbs, torque-roll, spot-landing. (7 min 57 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:03 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,428 Posts
ASK-21 un-boxing review video is now up in the ASK-21 thread

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Jun 16, 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling thanks 4002
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:23 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
removed
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Last edited by starscream4002; Jun 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: error fixed... you're welcome Chuck!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:55 PM
Capt Crunch
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2007
42 Posts
Seven minutes of fun

Finally home for a few days so I maidened my Carbon Cub Saturday. Very relaxing and fun to fly for the first 7 minutes or so, then it happened. I found myself in a trajectory towards trees and mother earth with no elevator control. Throttle back and hoped for the best. Minor damage to leading edge of the wing and a nonfunctional elevator servo. Hope replacements, functional replacements that is, are on the way. In the interum,the boys at Atlanta Hobby have mine.
setaft is offline Find More Posts by setaft
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:36 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setaft View Post
Finally home for a few days so I maidened my Carbon Cub Saturday. Very relaxing and fun to fly for the first 7 minutes or so, then it happened. I found myself in a trajectory towards trees and mother earth with no elevator control. Throttle back and hoped for the best. Minor damage to leading edge of the wing and a nonfunctional elevator servo. Hope replacements, functional replacements that is, are on the way. In the interum,the boys at Atlanta Hobby have mine.
I'm not trying to downplay the horror of loss of elevator control on a flight but has anyone thought to try a cross controlled slip? with this scale and weight you should be able to slow the plane down quite a bit and/or probably reduce the crash angle.
You just roll a little to the right or left then add opposite rudder. This should both slow the plane and bring the tail down. When you get about 3-4 feet off the ground roll the wings level and lose the rudder.

With all the reports of elevators failing I think it maybe be a good idea to practice elevator failure procedure.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:45 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,940 Posts
Brian,

That is excellent advice! I used a slip to save one of my V1 Beasts when the elevator jammed full-up during an elevator maneuver. I have also used the maneuver to save a Sukhoi XP when the rudder jammed at full deflection during a KE pass.

When I first learned to fly RC, I figured that honing my ability to control a plane in less-that-ideal conditions would be time well-spent. Looking back, I am very glad that I did so. It allowed me to save my Ace Bingo after high-speed flutter separated the entire rudder & half of the elevator from the airframe. It also allowed me to save my 1/4-scale Super Cub after flying it into a tree. I have also saved a few UMs when the elevator or rudder jammed. However, I was unable to save a brand-new V1 Beast when one aileron servo went nuts during the maiden & jammed full-up on a low, WOT inverted pass down the runway. She did the 'drill-bit maneuver' right into the asphalt before I could even react. Wasn't pretty. HH sent me a new plane.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 18, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:35 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
With all the reports of elevators failing I think it maybe be a good idea to practice elevator failure procedure.
So the failures result in a neutral elevator position?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:57 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
So the failures result in a neutral elevator position?

Gene K
From what I've read they have been failing in any position. Just practice in different positions. Even with a failure full down damage can me minimized by practicing inverted flight and using the throttle to manage descent rate. Not ideal but at least it will be a softer landing than letting it pile in.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:09 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,940 Posts
Here's some more low & slow in the yard. Part-way through the clip, I fly to a different part of the yard for a bit. Grass was a bit long, so the landing pretty much sucks. At least I didn't hit my ham radio antenna, like I did with the Beast 3D just a few minutes earlier! Since the other thread is pretty much swamped with servo & motor talk, I figure I might as well post the video on here, as well.

The CC makes me grin like a kid in a candy store every time I take her up!

UMX Carbon Cub - more fun in the yard. (14 min 18 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member