HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:11 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly View Post
Don't mind at all. I added the motors for JR Indoor so I didn't have to bug the other guys for tows all weekend.

Matt Andren
Parkzone/Hobbyzone Product Development
Horizon Hobby
Understood, but it's sad to see how quickly this gets picked up. Most of these guys want something to fly rather than a scale glider and having the ASK-21 become available this time of year exacerbates the problem.

I really like the idea of small scale gliders. My club has a group of guys who fly mostly four meters and up. They are wildly unsuccessful but keep working at it. Thermal flights are rare occurrences and I keep thinking that they are flying stuff that's wrong for the area. I really think I can catch lift that to them barely registers as a bump.

Anyway, there are lots of scale powered gliders that would win quick acceptance. Right now I'd love a Ximango with removable gear. I didn't know the ship existed yesterday, but today I want one.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:46 AM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,263 Posts
I wanted to share my first experience with my UMX ASK-21. I assembled it at the field for a couple hand tosses to see how it flew. I was shocked at the lack of glide. It did glide but it didn't have much of one. I also noticed that my up elevator didn't seem to have much authority. I went back to the car and got my eye glasses (reading) back on and looked at the mounting screws and how tight they were. I noticed that the wing could be assembled tighter but the screws were really tight in the holes and I worried about stripping them. I could press with my finger on the front and back mounting plastic piece on the wing and see the incidence change and I could also see that the heads of the screws were not fully in on the back even though they felt really tight. This produced negative incidence.

I found the perfect fitting micro screw driver and was able to tighten the wing mounting screws down a bit more in the back. Pressing the mount with my finger showed no incidence change. The next hand toss was a heck of a difference in glide ratio.

Obviously my assembly was not correct when I first put this together. My fear of stripping the screws is founded on the same size screws being used on the Carbon Cub float kit. The LG screws were getting stripped when I couldn't get them all the way in.

If your glide ratio is terrible you may want to check the incidence of the main wing in the mount.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:13 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,618 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting your experience.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:49 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
3,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
If u havn't nodist noboddy form the USa eder spelz good or currecs tyops.

Peet
Eye doo.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:58 PM
Germany
Joined Jan 2007
71 Posts
Today I've done my first flights with the ASK. One landing was a little bit tricky, because the tow has not released from the hook, so there was an impact and the wing was seperated from the fuselage. At this moment I've realized that I've forgotten the screws, but afterwards I think that this mistake has saved the plane

rgds
Wolf
fwolf15 is offline Find More Posts by fwolf15
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:06 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,520 Posts
I take it you didn't use the high start!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:45 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,357 Posts
Axion do some micro powered gliders and i wonder if the motor and pod can be bought seperately and used on the k21. see http://www2.ripmax.net/Category_List...ry=010-030-060
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:58 AM
Joined Apr 2004
6,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Axion do some micro powered gliders and i wonder if the motor and pod can be bought seperately and used on the k21. see http://www2.ripmax.net/Category_List...ry=010-030-060
Seems to be a bit smaller than the ASK-21 and it probably would barely sustain it if it worked at all

Just a guess, but it looks too small. On the other hand it might be a good starting point to mount a better motor.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:49 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I take it you didn't use the high start!
It happens after several high starts :-) (all without the screws)
fwolf15 is offline Find More Posts by fwolf15
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,520 Posts
You did well not to rip the wing off under the tension!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Apr 2004
6,974 Posts
That could have given new meaning to the expression "lawn dart."

Interesting that ducatirdr found that he needed the screws just to get the right incidence to the wing and you managed several high starts without them!

I think I'll try to remember them. I may get to at least trim mine out over thanksgiving.

Dunno yet since I don't know condition except that the nearest open field was small enough to make flying my P-51 a bit tense. There are other fields and a lake that may be frozen though. Another dunno factor is how busy we'll be getting ready for Thanksgiving or what the weather will be like.

Bringing my mQX in case we're housebound.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Jul 2006
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Seems to be a bit smaller than the ASK-21 and it probably would barely sustain it if it worked at all

Just a guess, but it looks too small.
Yes too small not bigger than the heli tail motors and you need at least two for low performance.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:42 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,225 Posts
I went ahead and picked up the little ASK-21 a couple of days ago. Will try to get a flight on it this weekend.

While I can appreciate the purist point of view, I see nothing wrong with adding a power system to this model. Especially doing the twin micro motor mod, which is aesthetically the best choice as it leaves the nose and top of the model unsullied and would be only barely noticeable in flight. I plan on flying mine in just about every possible way: aerotow, piggyback in our small sailplane rack, slope and with a neatly done easily removable micro twin power pod setup. Will likely high start it a few times, but that will likely be the least often used launch method.

Was a bit disappointed with the build quality and some portions of the detail design, but still is a fine looking little model.

The little RF-4 from Hobby King has been mentioned a time or two in this thread. I have a number of flights on my little RF-4 and really like it. Certainly not a sailplane at that size, but really flies nicely under power and does lovely aerobatics. I think it does a fine job of showing the air touring and aerobatic side of the real RF-4. Mine is box stock, with the exception of removing and reinstalling the firewall to turn the up and left thrust it came with into a bit of down and right thrust.

At the $61 price, the little RF-4 offers excellent value for the money and is, for all practical purposes, a very nice uMx motor glider model for less than half the price of most name brand uMx offerings.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
Jason Sosa now a DLG junkie
United States, AL, Clanton
Joined Aug 2010
52 Posts
UMX ASK-21 being towed by a large tug running a power 160 on 10 cells

UMX ASK-21 (1 min 49 sec)
evel_knievel34 is offline Find More Posts by evel_knievel34
Last edited by evel_knievel34; Nov 16, 2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: youtube embed