SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:31 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
506 Posts
I hope the referenced sub minute hi-start flight times are somehow typos. I expect to get at least 45 seconds from a hand launch. What am I missing here?

Luckily I'll be sloping mine or maybe a tow from a slo-stik.
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
Enjoying life through flight
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
I hope the referenced sub minute hi-start flight times are somehow typos. I expect to get at least 45 seconds from a hand launch. What am I missing here?

Luckily I'll be sloping mine or maybe a tow from a slo-stik.
With a hand launch on flat ground with mediocre weather you can expect 5-10 seconds of flight while with a high-start and same conditions you can expect 20+ seconds of flight. HOWEVER, you can achieve much greater flight times if you are on a slope, have good weather, and are a accomplished pilot. The short flight times are partially due to the high WCL, I plan on lowering it to achieve greater flight times in poor weather.
BigEast is offline Find More Posts by BigEast
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,143 Posts
The only suggestion to improve WCL would be to remove the towing release servo, that's 2.3 grams, but might need a bit of nose weight or not. Everything else is so vital i dont know how you could improve it, you could take away alot of the bracing, but thats kind of needed to withstand the high start stress, isnt it? Just got to learn how to thermal this babe, going to be quite the learning process for alot of us! While im no soaring expert, i think the glide ratio is fantastic, i dont see much of a need to take out weight.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:21 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
With a hand launch on flat ground with mediocre weather you can expect 5-10 seconds of flight while with a high-start and same conditions you can expect 20+ seconds of flight. HOWEVER, you can achieve much greater flight times if you are on a slope, have good weather, and are a accomplished pilot. The short flight times are partially due to the high WCL, I plan on lowering it to achieve greater flight times in poor weather.
I did not know what WCL meant. So I GGLED it.
But I still have no idea what the Washington College of Law has to do with this little glider.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:41 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,143 Posts
I had to google it also! Wing Cubic Loading
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:46 AM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Japan (Military)
Joined Nov 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
well, good thing I canceled my preorder, had two sitting at the hobby shop today, noe they have one less first flights on lunch tomorrow.
Too bad there is no hobby shop anywhere around me. Even the ones in Fukuoka are very Expensive. You would think RC stuff would be cheap over here as alot of it is made in Japan Anyways.
Or at least, because we are closer to CHINA!
Baseman is offline Find More Posts by Baseman
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:48 AM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
547 Posts
Just ordered one, couldn't resist.
handyman 220 is online now Find More Posts by handyman 220
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:26 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Danged hurricane got me. Tracking shows my ASK-21 sitting in Secaucus, NJ at 9:20 AM which means NOT TODAY.

Oh well, I can wait another day or two. It's not like I'm going to run out and fly it.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:58 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Danged hurricane got me. Tracking shows my ASK-21 sitting in Secaucus, NJ at 9:20 AM which means NOT TODAY.

Oh well, I can wait another day or two. It's not like I'm going to run out and fly it.

Pete
Pete , all the best whishes from here to you and your family--see the horrible pictures in the News and I'm sure, the Germans can't imagine this desaster.
All the best !!!!
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:04 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
928 Posts
come back to better things (ASK-21)
Just available now in Germany-one shop has listed it with green traffic light.
But I won't buy it....in my opinion a nice glider, indeed, but in my opinion a "edge product" like the Hyper Taxi. I saw Chucks vids and they can't convinced.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:52 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Pete , all the best whishes from here to you and your family--see the horrible pictures in the News and I'm sure, the Germans can't imagine this desaster.
All the best !!!!
This is the first time in my life that I've seen the subway system shut down for three days! I'm seventy-four and rode the subways alone from the age of seven on.

Tried to post a picture but the system wants to show it upsidedown. Oh well, it's off topic anyway.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:17 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,143 Posts
Several bungee launches this morning, as i get better the height i get from the high start will probably get better. Only one issue, having trouble getting the line of the hook at the apex, i dive down and up. sometimes takes a couple times, one time the cord pulled the plane down and as i pulled up to get off the wings bent and i think i heard a crack!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:03 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Several bungee launches this morning, as i get better the height i get from the high start will probably get better. Only one issue, having trouble getting the line of the hook at the apex, i dive down and up. sometimes takes a couple times, one time the cord pulled the plane down and as i pulled up to get off the wings bent and i think i heard a crack!
Nice, reports starting to come in, even if they are less than perfect, but that's what reports are all about! Thanks Maybe the window when you release is small (too early or too late is not good). Will be following your reports for sure.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:09 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
This is the first time in my life that I've seen the subway system shut down for three days! I'm seventy-four and rode the subways alone from the age of seven on.

Tried to post a picture but the system wants to show it upsidedown. Oh well, it's off topic anyway.

Pete
Maybe the system is alright and the subway is upsidedown.
I have been thinking about you and wishing you the best.
Don't let a little rain and wind keep you down.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:11 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,143 Posts
Well there is something to learn, some of my launches got me far enough for only 20 seconds, but ive had two launches that seemed to reach twice that! How high and how straight into the wind seem to be big, as well as when you release from the line, which for me, is difficult, especially since if you take too long it starts to drag you down! I think i will add some extra ribbon on the end for a little more drag to pull it off at the apex. However i think the best thermalling and where this plane will really shine is aero towing, with that you can go as high as you want!