HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:46 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,062 Posts
I meant to say it would'nt need to get very high,, it can ride smaller lower level thermals
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:47 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,062 Posts
I'm picking mine up tommorow
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:07 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
903 Posts
Pete,

Speaking of dreaming, have you given any further thought to an ultra micro which/retrieving system?
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:21 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Considering that Spektrum has already dipped their toe into telemetry and MIMS gear is so small and effective I wonder if we will ever see an UM AR board with airspeed and altitude on it that can also synthesized TE vario data.

Not impossible. All planes could use airspeed and alt. and a TE vario is more or less just a mix of the two where you look at change in either or both and integrate them.

Considering that a year or two ago nobody would have dreamt of AS3X and now it's widely available I have to wonder if we will ever get telemetry as standard.

In any case, I'd love to see a glider of this size with ASI (so I can fly optimally for thermal or penetration), ALT and vario so I can find and center in thermals whether or not AS3X masks them.

Just a daydream, but as a full-scale glider pilot that would make me feel very much at home.

I still have Dr. Walt Good's original Thermic Sniffler or whatever it was/is called. I've wanted instrumentation from my first glider on.

Still dreaming, but in today's world that dream seems close.

Pete
That would also be a dream come true for me - even for my larger fixed-wing ships. I learned to fly full-scale powered planes years before I learned to fly RC, and I have always missed not having at least airspeed & altitude on my models. After picking up the Radian Pro, I was soon looking for a vario or other means of knowing what's going on up there besides my eyeballs. Unfortunately, the vario units I've seen that have the features I want (such as TE capability & voice announcements) cost nearly twice what the PNP version of the RP costs. From what I've read, they're quite popular amongst the cross-country RC soaring guys.

If HH released a reasonably-priced, programmable AS3X brick with the features you listed, it would revolutionize the smaller-scale end of the soaring hobby. Having that info in even a powered UMX plane would change the UM side of the hobby much like AS3X has done. As you noted - the technology to make it happen is already available. At the rate things have been going in this hobby over the last 5-10 years, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they came out with one next year! It seems like we're experiencing the RC version of Moore's law. Let's hope it continues for a long time!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben View Post
Pete,

Speaking of dreaming, have you given any further thought to an ultra micro which/retrieving system?
Would'nt that be cool!!! An ultra micro winch???!!! It comes with a mini hi start.
:-),,,, that's a start,,, pun intended
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:11 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
That would also be a dream come true for me - even for my larger fixed-wing ships. I learned to fly full-scale powered planes years before I learned to fly RC, and I have always missed not having at least airspeed & altitude on my models. After picking up the Radian Pro, I was soon looking for a vario or other means of knowing what's going on up there besides my eyeballs. Unfortunately, the vario units I've seen that have the features I want (such as TE capability & voice announcements) cost nearly twice what the PNP version of the RP costs. From what I've read, they're quite popular amongst the cross-country RC soaring guys.

If HH released a reasonably-priced, programmable AS3X brick with the features you listed, it would revolutionize the smaller-scale end of the soaring hobby. Having that info in even a powered UMX plane would change the UM side of the hobby much like AS3X has done. As you noted - the technology to make it happen is already available. At the rate things have been going in this hobby over the last 5-10 years, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they came out with one next year! It seems like we're experiencing the RC version of Moore's law. Let's hope it continues for a long time!

Joel
I have one of these in my 4.3 meter scale duo discus,,, its quite cool.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:16 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben View Post
Pete,

How about an endless loop? Just a powered pulley and a remote pulley. On the endless loop you have a tow line. Just run the loop until the back of the tow line reaches you. The problem is the length of the loop vs. the length of tow line.

Partial solution is that the tow line can still work going around the far pulley.

Still going with a high start. Our field is too busy to risk having lines on he ground. Even the high start poses some problems but is unlikely to trip someone.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:23 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
My glider arrived today. I called Horizon about my Carbon Cub. When I returned it, I didn't get put on a back order list, so they have no record of my original order. I called a hobby shop which will be at the JR Indoor, they will have 2 dozen of the CC's, so I had them put my name on one there. I won't take the glider to the JR indoor, since I need learn how to fly it.

Glad it finally came. I do have a field I can fly it from, it is the LIFT field here in Traverse City. They have some great glider pilots and a great place to fly.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:25 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
The UPS man looks at me so strangley, so many large ungainely boxes, and im at my porch waiting for him every time....
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
UPS man knows me by name & my wife rolls her eyes when she sees him or the FEDEx truck
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:03 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
903 Posts
Pete,

When you first suggested the miniature winch concept many, many, months ago I gave it some thought. At that time I was wondering if there were any off-the-shelf parts that you could utilize to make your miniature winch. I believe you suggested a spinning reel and that got me to thinking about the powered reels that are used by handicapped people to fish. I'm not sure what retrieval speed would be required from the reel in order to adequately loft the sailplane. At that time it was an interesting thought problem but the unavailability of the aircraft kept it just a thought problem. Now that you have one of the craft in your possession perhaps you can explore that possibility further.

Ben
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
well, good thing I canceled my preorder, had two sitting at the hobby shop today, noe they have one less first flights on lunch tomorrow.
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:37 PM
Enjoying life through flight
Joined Mar 2012
240 Posts
Flew my UMX Ask-21 today! Got it at the hobby shop right when they arrived:

Here's what I can say about this glider: it flies extremely smoothly, the high start is a cinch. Flight times range from a minimum of 15-25 seconds in 5 mph winds in 65 degree weather on the high start. Before high-starting give it a test flight with a firm throw. I was surprised at how far it actually flew! Anyways, CG was dead on, assembly was straight forward (only took a few minutes) and no problems with servos or AS3X. The horizontal/vertical stab section is flimsy, but it isn't a Big problem. I kept my flight times to about 20-25 minutes max. One thing that happened however is when I pulled out the battery the velcro held too much and ripped out a chunk of foam. Easy fix. Note that the velcro I used was different than what comes in the box. To be honest, I didn't attempt to fly/launch without AS3X active, I'll leave that to other pilots

On my 12th highstart, the plane rolled over half a second after launch and was pulled straight into the ground! Miraculously, nothing broke except for one of the aileron servos that came loose. This plane is INCREDIBLY REINFORCED

This thing is a blast to fly! Flight times are a little short for having to hunt for and re-stretch the high-start... But in decent weather I'm sure flights of over a minute are easily achieved.

Overall, Everyone needs this plane, it is a must have. I can't stress enough about how much I am in love with this thing!! It is remarkable!
BigEast is offline Find More Posts by BigEast
Last edited by BigEast; Oct 30, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,322 Posts
Flew mine for the first time today (picked it up today as well). It was beautiful, wind-less evening. Good for trimming, but I think I accidentally launched without AS3X as I didn't blip the throttle to initialize it. Anyway, it flew great, but didn't stay up long. With no wind I got about one turn and that was it before having to set up for landing.

I didn't feel like there was enough elevator authority, but I may have just been getting too slow. Overall, it was a pleasing airplane to fly, but I can't really review it well as I only got about 15-20 seconds in the air per launch. I also do not think I was really stretching the high start out.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:46 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
Flew mine today!
I have done almost every section of motored rc planes and slop soaring, but never done thermaling. So, this is the first plane in a long long long time to really challenge my skills!! High start took a try and a tangle learning how to use it. Tip: unspool it as you walk back from the stake to the launch area.
Thermalling will be a challenge, but the airplane is amazing! EXTREMELY stiff structure, they did use a very high performance airfoil, it looked semi-symmetrical. control surfaces do not have much authority, but on a thermal ship they are supposed to be that way!
Definitely a niche plane, totally unlike any other UM experience.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower