baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:15 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
And you're perfectly right... What's funny is when they announced it, I was thinking: towing, towing, towing. Now, I simply think High Start, High Start, High Start. And KISS is always a good idea!
I had hundreds of flights with the Cadet including my first thermal flight. I was once invited to a school outing by my flying buddy who was a science teacher in his school. There must have been fifty or sixty kids there, nine or ten years old and ever one of them got stick time. With a horde of kids like that high start and glider retrieval was fantastic, plus my flying buddy managed to land very close most of the time. I still have that high start and the cadet is in my flying buddy's shop. The high start rubber is rotten and the glider needs more work than its worth but it not only was a very successful glider, it also carried my first video camera. (There's a still from a video in one of my early blog entries)

Pete
PeteSchug is online now Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:19 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
And you're perfectly right... What's funny is when they announced it, I was thinking: towing, towing, towing. Now, I simply think High Start, High Start, High Start. And KISS is always a good idea!
That is so funny, I haven't heard "KISS" in years, I'm guessing you're meaning Keep It Simple Stupid?!?
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:37 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
That is so funny, I haven't heard "KISS" in years, I'm guessing you're meaning Keep It Simple Stupid?!?
Yep! Pretty sure I didn't want to simply kiss Pete!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
Flyzone doesn't make the ASK-21....
I was making a comment on manufacturers in general announcing new planes too early.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:15 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
I know, I have one of those POS Flyzone Triplanes. But what does that have to do with Prkzone's late deliveries?
Rn
POS? Mine flies great, a fun indoor plane and good outdoors in light or no wind. They do tend to be tail heavy, but I just use a 160ma battery.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
POS? Mine flies great, a fun indoor plane and good outdoors in light or no wind. They do tend to be tail heavy, but I just use a 160ma battery.
I enjoy the heck out of mine too. After a night of flying my Nano-cpx, UMX Extra and Hyper-Taxi the DR-1 is a nice relaxing slow-poke around the gym.

ASK-21 = Still waiting to hear from the first USA flight tests. I can gauge when mine will hit my LHS by the responses of those picking up theirs around the country. The northeast seems to be last on the list.
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,086 Posts
anyone have theirs yet?
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:02 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,071 Posts
My first RC plane was a Goldberg Gentle Lady, and I love thermal and slope soaring. I especially like scale, and this plane looks great, but I'm not so sure I would like a soaring bird this small. I picked up a 2 meter Radian a while ago, love it, but even at 2 meters, I've almost soared it out of site a few times. The ASK would get small real quick! Thermal conditions also mean turbulence, and I'm not sure a glider this small could handle that, although the stabilization system might fix that.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
My first RC plane was a Goldberg Gentle Lady, and I love thermal and slope soaring. I especially like scale, and this plane looks great, but I'm not so sure I would like a soaring bird this small. I picked up a 2 meter Radian a while ago, love it, but even at 2 meters, I've almost soared it out of site a few times. The ASK would get small real quick! Thermal conditions also mean turbulence, and I'm not sure a glider this small could handle that, although the stabilization system might fix that.
The 14.7" span, 72g, 3.4 oz/sq ft Beast 3D and the 17" span, 75g, 6 oz/sq ft Sbach 3D laugh at 20 MPH winds & moderate turbulence - thanks to the AS3X damping system. The planes fly ver big. More more like 60-size or 1/4-scale ships than tiny foamies. I'm sure that the system will also make the ASK feel big & allow it to handle quite a bit of turbulence for its size. But it can't fix old eyeballs! I have a Radian Pro, and it can get pretty tough to see sometimes, so I can imagine that a plane half that size will be much easier to lose up there.

The big question for me is how much AS3X will dampen the telltale signs of lift - things like pitching down & speeding up when entering a thermal head-on, lifting a wing & turning away from a thermal, or a subtle wiggle of the tail. In the powered planes, AS3X is tuned to heavily dampen such external forces on the airframe - which is why they fly so well in wind & turbulence. Hopefully, the engineers found a good balance between stability & sensitivity to micro-turbulence for the ASK program.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:38 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,150 Posts
And plus, since it has no motor, you can keep the AS3X unactivated until you find a thermal, blip the throttle and youll have AS3X.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The big question for me is how much AS3X will dampen the telltale signs of lift - things like pitching down & speeding up when entering a thermal head-on, lifting a wing & turning away from a thermal, or a subtle wiggle of the tail. In the powered planes, AS3X is tuned to heavily dampen such external forces on the airframe - which is why they fly so well in wind & turbulence. Hopefully, the engineers found a good balance between stability & sensitivity to micro-turbulence for the ASK program.

Joel
Exactly! I didn't mention it, but those thoughts occurred to me too. The AS3X wouldn't matter so much in slope lift, but those lifted wings are how I know a thermal is there. Very curious to hear some flight reports.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
And plus, since it has no motor, you can keep the AS3X unactivated until you find a thermal, blip the throttle and youll have AS3X.
True, but I thought that one of the main reasons they put AS3X in the ASK was to make it more stable during launch - especially aerotow. It seems to me that keeping AS3X in standby until after lift is found would pretty much defeat the main purpose of the system in this app.

Guess we'll be finding out soon, as I'm sure that someone on here will launch with & without AS3X engaged & give us a report. Hopefully, with video.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:28 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Considering that Spektrum has already dipped their toe into telemetry and MIMS gear is so small and effective I wonder if we will ever see an UM AR board with airspeed and altitude on it that can also synthesized TE vario data.

Not impossible. All planes could use airspeed and alt. and a TE vario is more or less just a mix of the two where you look at change in either or both and integrate them.

Considering that a year or two ago nobody would have dreamt of AS3X and now it's widely available I have to wonder if we will ever get telemetry as standard.

In any case, I'd love to see a glider of this size with ASI (so I can fly optimally for thermal or penetration), ALT and vario so I can find and center in thermals whether or not AS3X masks them.

Just a daydream, but as a full-scale glider pilot that would make me feel very much at home.

I still have Dr. Walt Good's original Thermic Sniffler or whatever it was/is called. I've wanted instrumentation from my first glider on.

Still dreaming, but in today's world that dream seems close.

Pete
PeteSchug is online now Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:32 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,244 Posts
Quote:
A very small sailplane like this would t need to be high,, I've thermalled my champ many times. On one flight I got 45 min!!!
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74