HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:49 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,791 Posts
I wonder if the Sbach would make an OK tow truck for the ASK?

I bet it would.. It definitely isn't lacking the power.. Just need to get creative with a tow line.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:49 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Check this out....

RC mini indoor glider with folding motor (1 min 41 sec)

Indoor Mini RC-Glider with folding motor (2 min 10 sec)

Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209762
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Mar 02, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:52 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,791 Posts
Great idea! ^ Don't even need a servo to extend it - brilliant! haha
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Jul 2006
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
Although they are smaller still than the HH ASK, if anyone wants a self propelled micro sailplane don't forget that Axion make a range of three, all with a power pod - Discus, ASH 31 and ASK 21.
They look nice but fly terrible.
Glide like a Space Shuttle, primitive digital No or Full Ruder control with a big delay. First not happend, second death spiral and without the motor absolut no rudder control. Flyable only with very hi flying skills in no wind conditions.
Not worth to buy in my opinion and only good as non flying stand model.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:05 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I wonder if the Sbach would make an OK tow truck for the ASK?

I bet it would.. It definitely isn't lacking the power.. Just need to get creative with a tow line.
TR,

The Sbach surely has ample power. However, throttle-management may be an issue, along with the neutral stability & lack of AS3X (given that gliders are commonly flown in windy conditions). With the stock prop, 5030, or 5043, I'd think it would be rather easy to over-speed the glider's airframe - however, the HT's 5.5x2 prop should reduce the possibility, while providing lots of low-end grunt.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:06 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
They look nice but fly terrible.
Glide like a Space Shuttle, primitive digital No or Full Ruder control with a big delay. First not happend, second death spiral and without the motor absolut no rudder control. Flyable only with very hi flying skills in no wind conditions.
Not worth to buy in my opinion and only good as non flying stand model.
Thanks for the heads up - no experience of them myself
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:54 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,182 Posts
A UMX glider eh!!!

I'm sure that Seth got the idea from my PM

AS3X too, should be good! Forgive me if the answer is already in this thread, I've had a quick look back but not read it fully. How do you "arm" the AS3X with a glider? With planes it is armed by blipping the throttle, obviously this has no throttle...
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:15 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
A UMX glider eh!!!

I'm sure that Seth got the idea from my PM

AS3X too, should be good! Forgive me if the answer is already in this thread, I've had a quick look back but not read it fully. How do you "arm" the AS3X with a glider? With planes it is armed by blipping the throttle, obviously this has no throttle...
This was asked but never officially answered. We hope that we can still arm the AS3X receiver like any other airplane by giving some throttle. What would be cool is the fact that if that's the case, we could fly the glider without activating the board if we wanted too. Basically, we could also tow it up there, try to find thermal without the AS3X board, then activate it once we're happy.

On the other side, it's a receiver that is dedicated to the ASK, so maybe it's totally different. So, until we get the official answer, we're still in the dark.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:26 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,182 Posts
Wouldn't arming a moving plane upset the gyros?

I thought with the likes of the Beast 3D you had to arm it on the floor after it had been stood still a while...

Still want one! And probably the Cub too for aerotows, that would go down pretty well at my gliding club
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:09 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,673 Posts
Quote:
Wouldn't arming a moving plane upset the gyros?

I thought with the likes of the Beast 3D you had to arm it on the floor after it had been stood still a while...

Still want one! And probably the Cub too for aerotows, that would go down pretty well at my gliding club
SP,

I think you are confusing 'arming' with 'initialization'. The aircraft must be motionless during initialization, but that's it. Also, orientation doesn't matter at all during initialization. The plane can be in any position (nose-up, nose-down, KE or even upside-down) during the process, as long as it remains motionless. BTW - initialization only takes about 2 seconds. Arming can take place at any time after initialization, and neither motion nor orientation has an effect on this.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Mar 04, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:25 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,182 Posts
Sounds about right pal...

That could explain why my B3D flew poorly on it's maiden. I put the battery on with the model in my hand but placed it down to arm the system
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:38 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,673 Posts
Quote:
Sounds about right pal...

That could explain why my B3D flew poorly on it's maiden. I put the battery on with the model in my hand but placed it down to arm the system
SP,

Yes, that would explain it! I bet the Beast was a real beast!!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:16 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
SP,

I think you are confusing 'arming' with 'initialization'. The aircraft must be motionless during initialization, but that's it. Also, orientation doesn't matter at all during initialization. The plane can be in any position (nose-up, nose-down, KE or even upside-down) during the process, as long as it remains motionless. BTW - initialization only takes about 2 seconds. Arming can take place at any time after initialization, and neither motion nor orientation has an effect on this.

Joel
With all due deference to your greater experience and knowledge Joel either I've misunderstood you or I have to disagree. The manual is specific in that the plane must be on the ground during AS3X initialisation and must remain stationary for 5 seconds. I know for a fact that I was having all sorts of grief with my mSRX heli until I realised it had to be on the ground while AS3X initialised, at which point it became a great deal easier (or more accurately a great deal less impossible ) to fly. I don't think I imagined that so I've always been careful with my Beast and Gee Bee to have them on the ground (or a flat, horizontal, surface) while they initialised. Once that's happened I pick them up to stow the battery on board.

What I'm puzzled about is that the AS3X doesn't appear to be working until the esc is initialised. What I mean by that is that the servo chatter as the AS3X tries to correct the plane's alignment doesn't start until you've armed the esc. And I think the manual is confusing because on page 6 it says the system must be initialised on flat ground out of the wind but on page 7 in step 2 under "arming the esc" it just says keep the plane immobile and out of the wind for 5 seconds.

I don't know how AS3X works but any gyro stabilisation (or for that matter accelerometer) system that I've ever come across will try to revert to the position it was in when it was "spun up" or initialised. So if it was spun up inverted it would want to return to the inverted position. Help?
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:01 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
With all due deference to your greater experience and knowledge Joel either I've misunderstood you or I have to disagree. The manual is specific in that the plane must be on the ground during AS3X initialisation and must remain stationary for 5 seconds. I know for a fact that I was having all sorts of grief with my mSRX heli until I realised it had to be on the ground while AS3X initialised, at which point it became a great deal easier (or more accurately a great deal less impossible ) to fly. I don't think I imagined that so I've always been careful with my Beast and Gee Bee to have them on the ground (or a flat, horizontal, surface) while they initialised. Once that's happened I pick them up to stow the battery on board.

What I'm puzzled about is that the AS3X doesn't appear to be working until the esc is initialised. What I mean by that is that the servo chatter as the AS3X tries to correct the plane's alignment doesn't start until you've armed the esc. And I think the manual is confusing because on page 6 it says the system must be initialised on flat ground out of the wind but on page 7 in step 2 under "arming the esc" it just says keep the plane immobile and out of the wind for 5 seconds.

I don't know how AS3X works but any gyro stabilisation (or for that matter accelerometer) system that I've ever come across will try to revert to the position it was in when it was "spun up" or initialised. So if it was spun up inverted it would want to return to the inverted position. Help?
Roger,

OK, so it's 5 seconds instead of 2 seconds. Nonetheless, orientation is meaningless. Remaining motionless during initialization is the only requirement.

AS3X is not an auto-stabilization system. It has absolutely zero self-recovery or auto-level capabilities. It is simply a 3-axis gyro-based damping system. It has no accelerometers, magnetometers, horizon sensors, or any other means of determining orientation with respect to the Earth. Therefore, it is physically impossible for the system to 'know' the orientation of the aircraft. Same is true with the mCP X & mQX.All AS3X-equipped aircraft can be initialized in any position, provided that they remain motionless during the process. The Horizon engineers who designed the system have explained this numerous times on the various AS3X threads. It has also been proven many tens of thousands of times by those of us who fly AS3X-equipped aircraft. Incidentally - many of us initialize the mCP X while it's laying on it's side, and most of us initialize the mQX while it's inverted.

Regarding why the system is disabled until the throttle is opened - it would be impossible to mechanically trim the control surfaces if the system was always engaged.

Hope this helps to clarify things!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:17 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Roger,

OK, so it's 5 seconds instead of 2 seconds. Nonetheless, orientation is meaningless. Remaining motionless during initialization is the only requirement.
To this day, I still wonder why they didn't simply added another beep at the end of initialisation! Like you, I think it's much shorter than 5 seconds. But HH probably played it safe since there was no physical way to know the gyros were happy. If it's really two (or three) seconds, they could not say it, because people would likely pick it up too fast.You would think that if it's only coding, adding a beep right after would have been easy. Oh well, I guess the wait is worth it no matter what!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler