HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:22 AM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
Hobbyking sells a ask-21mi with a retracting motor. 82 inches for $89 from a us warehouse PNP
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:55 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Intended purpose?

To show a CC can tow it to alt?
To be towed and search for thermals?
To be shot up with a HS and search for thermals?
To set on a shelf and look cute?

Etc., etc.

HH has other great motorized gliders, the Ascent, the Radian and the Radian Pro to name a few. I converted the old Red Ascent to BL like many others did and I often get 60 min. plus flights off of a single 15 seconds motor run. It climbs between 600 and 700 feet in 15 seconds as measured with several different devices. It comsumes right at 50 mAh per climb and I fly it with a 500 to 800 mAh LiPlys which means even on a very bad constant sink day I can stay up for a very long time with mininum of 8 full climbs per charge possible.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
Hobbyking sells a ask-21mi with a retracting motor. 82 inches for $89 from a us warehouse PNP
WAY, W A Y, bigger than I want.

Pete.
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jul 2006
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
All of that is taken into account in the guideline I posted. According to all of the e-power guidelines I've read, 50W/lb is the bare minimum required for sustained level flight with all but the most efficient RC airframes. That's not even talking about the ability to climb at all. With the Vapor system, you'd likely be well under 20W/lb. Plus, flight-speed would be very low with the Vapor prop. The Vapor tops-out at, what - maybe 4-5 MPH? The ASK-21's stall-speed is probably around 4-5 MPH.
Ok the bigger 8mm motor (Sukhoi) seems better for this.
I have make some reseach:
The ASK 21 MI with IAE R50-AA (41kW)
Weight: 1047 lb - 1543 lb
This make 26W/lb - 39W/lb
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,079 Posts
While its intended purpose may not be so strong, it's obviously a very niche product, but I love that about it, they aren't just doing safe things, they're making niche products like the Hyper Taxi and the ASK. Personally, I gave up flying anything larger than micro size a couple years ago, I got so much more fun out of flying a $100 bnf at the park whenever I wanted to, I didn't want to spend four times as much on an airplane I'd fly once a month. I've long been interested in soaring, and now with this ASK, I can explore urban soaring in a pure and beautiful way, anywhere I want.
BTW, normally the product videos Horizon makes for their products are ok, they show the plane in action very well. But the video for the ASK, AMAZING!!!!!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:00 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
I have make some reseach:
The ASK 21 MI with IAE R50-AA (41kW)
Weight: 1047 lb - 1543 lb
This make 26W/lb - 39W/lb
One thing is that many aspects about aircraft do not scale linearly (often larger is more efficient). 2 examples come to mind:
*full scale aircraft can fly with much higher wing loading than small models
*as one scales a full scale aircraft down to about foamy size, the "tail feathers" need to be larger than scale size to be effective (I remember this from the scratch-built foamies forum).

As far as I know, this is in part due to that even though the aircraft model is being scaled, the air that it is flying in stays the same size, so the air (nitrogen and oxygen) molecule to aircraft size is changing as one change the aircraft scale.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Feb 29, 2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
One thing is that many aspects about aircraft do not scale linearly (often larger is more efficient). 2 examples come to mind:
*full scale aircraft can fly with much higher wing loading than small models
*as one scales a full scale aircraft down to about foamy size, the "tail feathers" need to be larger than scale size to be effective (remember this from the scratch-built foamies forum).

As far as I know, this is in part due to that even though the aircraft model is being scaled, the air that it is flying in stays the same size, so the air (nitrogen and oxygen) molecule to aircraft size is changing as one change the aircraft scale.
FL,

Yes - it's called Reynolds number. Essentially, the air becomes much more viscous as things are scaled-down. At this scale, Reynolds numbers are very low as compared to full-scale planes - which dramatically decreases the efficiency of flight.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:20 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
While its intended purpose may not be so strong, it's obviously a very niche product, but I love that about it, they aren't just doing safe things, they're making niche products like the Hyper Taxi and the ASK. Personally, I gave up flying anything larger than micro size a couple years ago, I got so much more fun out of flying a $100 bnf at the park whenever I wanted to, I didn't want to spend four times as much on an airplane I'd fly once a month. I've long been interested in soaring, and now with this ASK, I can explore urban soaring in a pure and beautiful way, anywhere I want.
BTW, normally the product videos Horizon makes for their products are ok, they show the plane in action very well. But the video for the ASK, AMAZING!!!!!
Yes, I enjoy the video, too. I wonder what the music is playing for background? Very suitable for the video.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Oh man, Now I need like 600 bucks to make this a father son duo. My 15 year old, 12 year old, and I saw this cub/ask duo (we all fly micros together) and we were all drooling like fools. But we only have the RTF xbox-like controllers, so we would have to buy 2 new radios and the aircraft. It will never happen. I have 6 kids and am self employed... Dream on.
Vbluguitar is offline Find More Posts by Vbluguitar
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:03 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbluguitar View Post
Oh man, Now I need like 600 bucks to make this a father son duo. My 15 year old, 12 year old, and I saw this cub/ask duo (we all fly micros together) and we were all drooling like fools. But we only have the RTF xbox-like controllers, so we would have to buy 2 new radios and the aircraft. It will never happen. I have 6 kids and am self employed... Dream on.
Awe man, I have 3 and I'm trying to deal with my "I want list", but 6 Good luck and I hope you'll be able to pick up at least one of the new micros coming out.
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Jul 2006
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Yes i know, it's the Reynolds number effect like turboparker say.
Specially with the ultra micro models you can not play with the energy like the bigger planes. On the other side you can endlees dive and reach not the velocity which can destroy the airplane.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:26 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Doh - deleted - wrong thread
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:22 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,153 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if it would help you or not, but I have two of the parkzone/spektrum 4 channel transmitters I would be happy to give to you free of charge. Fathers and son's spending quality time together is priceless. I have priceless memories of my dad teaching me how to fly rc back in 1975.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:31 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,979 Posts
Quote:
Remember there is a classified area here where pilots sell stuff. You can find a good transmitter here along with lots of other stuff. I have bought planes, rec, and other things here on RC Groups.

I know how you feel. I am retired and I want it all. I have always wanted a small sailplane. I saw one that Matt had made at E-Fest a few years ago that he used the parts from the Cessna 210 to build. It was so neat, a lot like this new ASK-21.

I want this one, the Carbon Cub with floats, so I can float fly and tow the ASK-21 up and the Mig and Spit.

So with the economy in the toilet, it is lucky that any business survive.

As guys upgrade their TX's, you will find a good used one here.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:23 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Although they are smaller still than the HH ASK, if anyone wants a self propelled micro sailplane don't forget that Axion make a range of three, all with a power pod - Discus, ASH 31 and ASK 21.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard