SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:31 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperfan View Post
So it seems as if the box (size/shape) for the ASK will be unlike all of the other UM boxes we have had in the past?

Can you ask if it comes with a handle?

LOL j/k

I'm not at the show anymore, but I'm sure it has a handle. Why would they change a good thing? i bought an mQX (flew about three battery packs in my hotel room) and it's got a handle.

My flying buddy's daughter's cats keep coming over to look at it. Then I fly it. One of them discretely leaves the room but the other waits for it to land so he can sniff it again. I think that he's wondering if it's good to eat! They are fearless orange tabby brothers. Very smart, very tough and they grew up eating balsa wood and foam, leaving teethmarks in my favorite planes.

LOVED the show!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:44 PM
down & out
Joined Dec 2006
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
They are fearless orange tabby brothers.

Pete
I once had a Pumpkin Tabby. Orange cat with an orange bullseye. Her name was Marylin so I just called her Mary.

I am excited about the ASK21. I will probably buy a spare wing. Hoping the box will accommodate the spare.
camperfan is offline Find More Posts by camperfan
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:18 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Congrats with your DX8! I've had mine for a few months with the Telemetry Module in my Radian Pro and I LOVE IT!! I'd LOVE to have telemetry in the ASK-21!! Having that Flight Pack Voltage is such a useful piece of information!! I can not wait for May for the glider to come out!! And thanks for info regarding the box!
FYI on telemetry: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384439
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:42 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
I once had a Pumpkin Tabby. Orange cat with an orange bullseye. Her name was Marylin so I just called her Mary.

I am excited about the ASK21. I will probably buy a spare wing. Hoping the box will accommodate the spare.
Wing will likeky not come with the servos, so it won't be a simple swap in the field if you have a mishap, unless you buy two extra servos.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:03 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Looks like the ailerons on ASK21 are operated by twin servos through torque rods http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...i_gallery.html

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...i_gallery.html

and I'm guessing RG is right especially because the price of the wing is quoted (in the UK) at about 17 and the servos themselves are about 10 each
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:24 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Roger, you had me look at the pictures again. It does look like the wing servo assembly is removable with screws as well, so basically, somebody could really swap a wing in the field. Two connectors, 4 screws for the servo assembly, and 4 screws for the wing. Interesting!

Wires are very short though, so I'm wondering if you can store the airplane with the wing detached, but still wired up. Otherwise, pulling everytime on those little connector is very risky, if you really want to separate the wing and airframe completely.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Time for someone to design a tool for pulling those little connectors apart without damage.

Pete
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:58 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Time for someone to design a tool for pulling those little connectors apart without damage.

Pete
True... I think if we really have to pull them off, I'll make my own, even if it's a Dremel jobber. Would be a usefull tool anyway for the rest of my fleet for the odd time when you have to pull one.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:48 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,399 Posts
i cant wait for this beautiful little bird
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Jul 2006
623 Posts
What do you think will it fly (hold altitude and little climb) with a Vapor motor gear unit?
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:39 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
What do you think will it fly (hold altitude and little climb) with a Vapor motor gear unit?
Here are the power-to-weight guidelines for electric flight:

• 50 to 80 W/lb - powered gliders, basic park flyers and trainers, classic biplanes and vintage ('Old Timer') type planes.
  • 80 to 120 W/lb - general sport flying and basic/intermediate aerobatics. Many scale (eg warbirds) subjects suit this power band.
  • 120 to 180W/lb - more serious aerobatics, pattern flying, 3D and scale EDF jets
  • 180 to 200+W/lb - faster jets and anything that requires Arnie-amounts of muscle!

The ASK-21's advertised AUW is 2.6 oz. So, you'd want at least 13W. Preferably, more like 16W. For a reference, the UMX Beast 3D's power-package is about 22W, and the Sukhoi XP's power-package is around 5W. I'm not sure about the Vapor's wattage, but we know that it is much lower than the Sukhoi XP's wattage - and 5W would only be only 31W/lb, which is not enough to maintain level flight. (50W/lb is considered the bare minimum for sustained, controlled flight.)

Given the above, the Vapor's power unit would be far too underpowered for this app.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 28, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Jul 2006
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Given the above, the Vapor's power unit would be far too underpowered for this app.
I know it's underpowered for normal rc model expectation (most rc models are overpowered ) but i hope it can fly.
I think the Wright Flyer was also underpowered but he fly.
If i not wrong the Wright Flyer have 15W/lb?
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:08 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
I know it's underpowered for normal rc model expectation (most rc models are overpowered ) but i hope it can fly.
I think the Wright Flyer was also underpowered but he fly.
If i not wrong the Wright Flyer have 15W/lb?

All of that is taken into account in the guideline I posted. According to all of the e-power guidelines I've read, 50W/lb is the bare minimum required for sustained level flight with all but the most efficient RC airframes. That's not even talking about the ability to climb at all. With the Vapor system, you'd likely be well under 20W/lb. Plus, flight-speed would be very low with the Vapor prop. The Vapor tops-out at, what - maybe 4-5 MPH? The ASK-21's stall-speed is probably around 4-5 MPH.

BTW - the original Wright Flyer was not truly capable of sustained flight. It required a strong headwind just to ROG, and it could not get out of ground-effect. Definitely not what would be defined as 'sustained flight' today.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:23 PM
down & out
Joined Dec 2006
202 Posts
Quote:
What do you think will it fly (hold altitude and little climb) with a motor gear unit?
blasphemy
camperfan is offline Find More Posts by camperfan
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:27 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
blasphemy
I'd agree, but the full sized ASK-21 is available with a retracting motor for self launch.

If they could stick a scale retracting motor on the model I'd buy it for the convenience. If I was going to stick a motor on mine I'd do it as close to the full sized version as possible.

Edit:
Motor Glider ASK21 Mi (0 min 45 sec)

Here you go.

Looks like the motor is in the fuse and the pylon and prop retract! I know a guy who made a micro outboard for tiny boats using a belt drve in a very similar way. All made out of Shaoeways parts that he designed. Hmm... HHmmmm.......

I'd love some comments on this!

Pete
Last edited by PeteSchug; Feb 29, 2012 at 05:38 AM.