HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:27 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
You're rebutting things that I'm not saying!

It's not important.........

What counts is that we're enjoying our flying!

Dave

ps - Yes the Beast v2 is another one that I love in the wind
Dave,

Go back & read my original post. I was replying directly to Baconflyer, regarding his question about using the Champ for aerotowing the ASK-21. You are the one who is debating things that are not pertinent to the topic, not me. Regarding the Champ's wind-handling - I questioned your comments because nobody I know who has flown the Champ, XP, Pole Cat, Sbach, and Beast in the wind would say that the Champ handles the wind better than the others. I would hate to see newcomers getting the idea that they should by a Champ if they want to fly UM planes in the wind.

Just to keep things clear for the newcomers to the UM threads - the Champ would be a very poor choice for towing the ASK-21 - for the reasons I previously stated.

As you noted - enjoying our flying is the important thing. And keeping the facts straight goes a long way in helping people to enjoy their flying as much as possible.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Sigh
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
I have only just found details of this model on the web site of my local model shop, with a hoped for delivery date of . May 28th 2012. I have been looking for a well priced high T tail sailplane for ages. This seems to exceed all expectations, what a good looker too
VARSITY is offline Find More Posts by VARSITY
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:17 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
944 Posts
upstart use

A question for the Horizon boys:

How many paces to stretch the upstart for maximun launch altitude but not fold the wings?

gb
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:54 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I just realized, as3x is not activated until you raise the throttle stick. You don't need the throttle on this plane, so you could actually do a flight without as3x
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:30 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I just realized, as3x is not activated until you raise the throttle stick. You don't need the throttle on this plane, so you could actually do a flight without as3x
Wow, love your thinking here! Basically, we could probably even use a mix and a switch to mix the throttle to 0% so we don't even accidentally start it while using the rudder!

So we could really try it with and without! Coool
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I just realized, as3x is not activated until you raise the throttle stick......
Also, the AS3X system is activated when trim is increased. (That's what the Beast 3D manual says.)

Just a tidbit to be aware of.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:57 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,737 Posts
So, if a pilot was worried about AS3X masking the signs of lift, he/she could simply leave the throttle closed & chase thermals with AS3X in standby? Very interesting...

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:01 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
That's a great idea!! Launch with no as3x, and then once you find a nice thermal and get in it, you could activate AS3X!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
well since this is all wild speculation I am going to have think that it is not activated by the throttle channel, since they suggest the DX4e for a good tx on the description page. Meaning that it probably comes with the throttle channel set up to activate the tow hook release, unless the manual states that you have to activate the tow hook before flight to activate the as3x. But then again its all speculation without a manual
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:13 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
The tow hook release is connected to the xport, and since its the same brick as the spit(except for gyro orientation) the throttle channel must activate as3x.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:31 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
well since this is all wild speculation I am going to have think that it is not activated by the throttle channel, since they suggest the DX4e for a good tx on the description page. Meaning that it probably comes with the throttle channel set up to activate the tow hook release, unless the manual states that you have to activate the tow hook before flight to activate the as3x. But then again its all speculation without a manual
IP,

We're getting pretty good at speculating wildly! But then we've had a lot of practice lately - given the recent flurry of HH release announcements.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
whats the xport? How would you control it with a dx4e? Also does anyone have a pic of the spit's board yet?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
Never mind, looks like the trainer switch operates the xport right?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:39 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
IP,

We're getting pretty good at speculating wildly! But then we've had a lot of practice lately - given the recent flurry of HH release announcements.

Joel
no kidding hey.