HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,549 Posts
Glider onlly needs right stick and a gear or Aux. channel and truck only need left stick for
Quote:
throttle and steering so I guess two receiver bound to same transmitter( mnodel memory) would work as is..

Charles
But they would not be doing so.

Mode two Left stich throttle and steering for truck / right stick glider rudder and elevator plus gear or aux. for tow release.

For those with extremely bad memories flaps switch cold be used as a mix (likely) so that when switch is in one position only the left stick & release are active and when in another position only the glider functions are available . So that absent mindedness. does not result in the truck being driven blindly during the glider's flight.

Gear swith on my DX7 has been throttle lock since day one. Three position switch used for heli throttle / pitch cures and landing mode for some planes and evelvator / flaporons for others . Amazing what can be dones with the smart transmitters.

DX 7 is still not as versatile programing wise as my 1992 Ace Micro Pro 8000 but perhaps one day the new will catch up with the old. Then again no one make single stick except for very limited expensive custom ones. Single stick even has a knob for steering.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:57 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post

Sounds like tow line was to small and to short. Perhaps glider pilot was trying to get a zom launch for more altitude.
Charles
Very weird. 200 feet is what we used for rope break simulation, but we did it aerotow at my field. The only time we did auto tow was for guys who were planning to become instructors.

It sounds like something may have happened to the pilot.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:16 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Charles,

With that setup, how would you control the ailerons on the glider?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:32 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,549 Posts
Guess you missed the part in an earlier post of mine that if AS3X works as well as some have posted that thet the glider may fly itself during the tow after trimming. My stick and tissue hand tow gliders from 55 years ago di dnot need any control input during tow.

I do not have one or even exspect to purchase one. I love my Red Ascent which I covered to BL Axi powered. It does a 650 to 700 foot climbout in 15 seconds and I have loged many 1 hr. plus flights on a single 15 sec. motor run and can stay up a min. of 30 min. most anyday on a single 500 mAh battery.

Those who can use both sticks at same time as all pilots should be able to can use lEft stick for thro. and steering and Right for rubber and elevator or e / A if that is what it has. I glanced at the specs. once.

Surely most can find a truck driver anyway.

Perhaps I will get my old .60 Ugly Stick / 2 meter glider piggyback cradle out and mod it to fit my electro Stik and then think about changing my mind about this one or get some Dollar Store chunk gliders and do some 1,000 foot free flight glider releases.

Could purchase and install $9 HH receiver and a couple of $3 servos and hope the glider circles in site long enough on its' own for me to land the Electra Stik ,about 30 to 45 seconds.

I still like my original idea of GPS in the glider so that it would circle release point while tow plane is being landed.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 11, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:01 PM
220 221 Whatever it takes
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Dec 2009
275 Posts
Towing...

I saw them (HH folks I assume) towing the ASK-21 with the new Cub at E-Fest yesterday. Was a pretty cool sight.
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdave221 View Post
I saw them (HH folks I assume) towing the ASK-21 with the new Cub at E-Fest yesterday. Was a pretty cool sight.
And let me guess, no camera???? Shooooot!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,383 Posts
Check this out (if it hasn't been posted already):

2012 E-Fest E-flite UMX Carbon Cub SS & ASK-21 (1 min 32 sec)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:23 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
769 Posts
nice video find! I like the bank n yank the cub does on release!
i guess with zero wind and no thermals it stays up in the air ok considering!
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
talking about yank and bank, another classic video, make sure to watch both parts
[HD] Push The Limit - Soaring Above The Alps [Part1] (4 min 30 sec)

[HD] Push The Limit - Soaring Above The Alps [Part2] (2 min 17 sec)
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
nice video find! I like the bank n yank the cub does on release!
i guess with zero wind and no thermals it stays up in the air ok considering!
Install some downward-pointing radiant heat units to heat the floor without heating the air, and we'd have indoor thermals.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
I was thinking something like a skateboarders curved ramp maybe 3/4 hall width and a couple of nice strong blowers on the floor directed onto the ramp - indoor sloping comes to town
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
I was thinking something like a skateboarders curved ramp maybe 3/4 hall width and a couple of nice strong blowers on the floor directed onto the ramp - indoor sloping comes to town
Oh man, another two things I gotta start hauling around in my car. Lol.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
And right off topic, but especially for those not lucky enough to get out on a real slope. If there's a more impressive video than this for demo-ing a particular model will someone point me at it?

Bear with it for the first thirty seconds

Stingray von Thommys/Xmodels (3 min 56 sec)
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Feb 14, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:42 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
And right off topic, but especially for those not lucky enough to get out on a real slope. If there's a more impressive video than this for demo-ing a particular model will someone point me at it?

Bear with it for the first thirty seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk9a4...ure=plpp_video
I think the full res video taken by Daboz (handle on Dynamic Soaring) of Spence Listenby setting the 469 mph record will probably amaze you. Huge, huge laps through the sheer line in two and a half seconds. At that speed you can't slow down by merely pointing up because the plane will be OOS almost instantly. They pull around seventy G's in the groove at that speed.

In the YouTube version all you see is an occasional bunch of orange dots. I don't know where you download the full res version, but a post in Dyanamic soaring on RCG will almost certainly get it. I don't think there is a video of Listenby's 487 mph flight.

Those numbers are for real. Calibrated radar where the guns are within an mph of each other at those speeds. Radar taken uphill against the wind.TAS estimated at 550 mph.

Sorry, no aerobatics in the record flights.

Oh, the model is Listenby's Kinetic 100. Don't know what they cost, but I can't afford one and there's no place to fly one in NYC. I wouldn't call it a demo exactly except that everything Listenby does is a demo. He's a fantastic flyer. Winds were over sixty mph and probably over seventy in the gusts.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:05 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
What would you guys think about some tiny speed brakes for this plane? I mean I know they're not necessary but it could be fun for those spot landings.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron