HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
This is a 1s board, so it will be different. If they went to the trouble of taking out the esc why is the much-easier-to-remove motor plug still there? Parts listing says its a 6-channel esc.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,796 Posts
As RG noted, it has been confirmed that the ASK-21 brick is an adaptation of the AS3X Spitfire brick. The brushed ESC is present & functional.

From the first page of RG's excellent AS3X FAQ thread:

ASK-21 questions - with answers directly from the design-team:

- Is the receiver programmable like the Mig? (on the picture, it doesn't seem so, since there's no X-Port?...)
: The ASK and Spitfire use a similar board to the AR6400L. The Spitfire's board is mounted vertically (due to spacing in the fuselage), and the ASK's board is mounted horizontally. -Seth

- Is there a brushed ESC onboard???? On the picture, there's a small black connector with 3 pins! : As mentioned above, it is essentially the same board as the Spitfire (different sensor settings and orientation). -Seth

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:25 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
Anyone in the south of the UK looking for a tow pilot, i'm your man, i LOVE towing duty! Just whipping around up and down, up and down, the skill of getting the landings right so the rope then sits in place perfect for the next tow etc. I can't work out how people dislike it!
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined May 2007
32 Posts
this pod would be a nice additionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFdcMGDwvLo
tttom is offline Find More Posts by tttom
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:33 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Anyone in the south of the UK looking for a tow pilot, i'm your man, i LOVE towing duty! Just whipping around up and down, up and down, the skill of getting the landings right so the rope then sits in place perfect for the next tow etc. I can't work out how people dislike it!
I don't know about this......I'm a bit leery of gents who post online about their cleverness with ropes, and "whipping around up and down, up and down"......and actually offer to hook-up with strangers for "duty"...............

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:20 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,736 Posts
Possible alternative tow means..

Possible alternative tow means.

Those with a large (long) smooths surface and a RC Truck or a friend with one should perhaps consided Auto (truck) towing.

I have a Traxxas Rustler converted to Mamba Max BL that would tow this glider without even knowing it was back there. Does not take a lot of skill to drive a RC Truck in a straight line on a smooth surface at a resonable speed and 20 MPH should be plenty . my Rustler will do 60 easy. Remember to keep a finger on the gliders tow line release trigger just in case the truck driver does not understand the meaning of gradual acceleration not to try for warp speed and drive in a striaght line.

For those who are unaware trucks have been used to tow some very large gliders and there is even international competation for man towed glider launches where a two man pull team does the work. When I was around 12 years old I towed many free flight stick and tissue gliders to launch altitude with kite cord and a young set of legs.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:01 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,796 Posts
Charles,

Great idea! I have a 1/14th-scale Losi Mini 8ight 4WD. Even in stock form, it is ridiculously overpowered. On 3s, it can hit ~50 MPH. It weighs 2.2 pounds. Do you think it would be heavy enough to tow this plane? I suppose I could simply add ballast, if necessary.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Don't tear the wings off.

During the steep part of the climb on auto tow the glider is probably going faster than the car/truck.

I tore the wings off a Nordic on my first try at running with a tow line, thinking I had to run as fast as I could. It goes up like a kite, but MUCH faster.

Never auto or winch towed full scale, but there the wings are carrying a load that is not felt as G's by the pilot.

Not so on the end of the tow line. When the wings folded on the Nordic I felt the pull but it happened so fast that it was over before it started.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:25 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,736 Posts
Well if the tow line ever put 2 lbs. of pull on the Carbon Cub the cub would not stand a chance IMO. Worse thing that could happen with truck towing would be glider lifting the rear wheels enough to lose trachion and yours is 4 WD. I would use a Y harness on the rear of truck with tow line atached in center much the same as a lot of pleasure boat / water skiing rigs. I would also use some form of shock line along with the braided(solid) tow line .

I agree that glider winng are not that dificult to fold on launch be it high start, powered winch ,towing etc. many years ago a flying buddy of mine used a old bicycle frame and rear wheel ,chain a nd pedals to launch 2 meter gliders. The one doing the pedaling by hand had to take it very easy. Guess I should mention that a turn around was used just like with an electric winch.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Well if the tow line ever put 2 lbs. of pull on the carbo Cub the cub would not stand a cahnce IMO.
Charles
That should not happen with the glider BEHIND the Cub.

What I described is the situation of going up steeply, like a kite, when towed from the ground.

The pilot has elevator control so it should be possible to avoid the problems of an over zealous driver.

I've done lots of high starts, but our high start was well matched to the glider (Airtronics Cadet, still have one NIB) so we never had a problem.

I'm only concerned about vastly overestimating the power needed along with the fact that you can see the wings flex on high start in the ASK-21 video.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:31 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,736 Posts
Quote:
That should not happen with the glider BEHIND the Cub.
I agree and a word to the wise is ............... that is why my post is titled
Possible alternative tow means..

and I cautioned about tow driver who could not follow instructions.

I will state again that doing a piggback aero carry to altitude is the simplies means IMO.
My 52" WS GP Electro Stik could carry this min glider aloft without any issues. It will take off with flaps down in 30 feet at fairly low ground speed . Full power flaps down from grass is a 5 foot take off run. This still requires two rc pilots however and the carry plane pilot has to do everything in slow motion. The glider provides extra lift so weigh is a non issue but if fly like a wild man you can shread the glider. Another reason why with planes towing / carrying gliders I recomemd a release on both aircraft just incase one of the pilots does not hear so well or does not understand the problem or thinks he can save it.

A quic Goggle found this full size(two seater) glider auto tow report. Yes it ended badly.reads like glider pilot used to much elevator perhaps.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...4GBEA7yqZ0R7YQ

Snip

Quote:
A full-size sport utility vehicle was towing the glider. The nylon tow rope used measured approximately 234 feet and was 5/16-inch in diameter.

Sounds like tow line was to small and to short. Perhaps glider pilot was trying to get a zom launch for more altitude.
Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:03 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Possible alternative tow means.

Those with a large (long) smooths surface and a RC Truck or a friend with one should perhaps consided Auto (truck) towing.

I have a Traxxas Rustler converted to Mamba Max BL that would tow this glider without even knowing it was back there. Does not take a lot of skill to drive a RC Truck in a straight line on a smooth surface at a resonable speed and 20 MPH should be plenty . my Rustler will do 60 easy. Remember to keep a finger on the gliders tow line release trigger just in case the truck driver does not understand the meaning of gradual acceleration not to try for warp speed and drive in a striaght line.

For those who are unaware trucks have been used to tow some very large gliders and there is even international competation for man towed glider launches where a two man pull team does the work. When I was around 12 years old I towed many free flight stick and tissue gliders to launch altitude with kite cord and a young set of legs.

Charles
If you add a head holding gyro on the steering servo - going straight becomes a non-issue. I've got a kyosho gyro on my mr-03. It's twitchy without it at hi speeds.

A little cheap insurance never hurts.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:23 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
I don't know about this......I'm a bit leery of gents who post online about their cleverness with ropes, and "whipping around up and down, up and down"......and actually offer to hook-up with strangers for "duty"...............

haha, now i read it back.......
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:52 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,736 Posts
Quote:
If you add a head holding gyro on the steering servo - going straight becomes a non-issue. I've got a kyosho gyro on my mr-03. It's twitchy without it at hi speeds.
But the key to towing a glider is slow steady acceleration up to perhaps 20 MPH if even that. My guess is only 10 MPH or so would be plenty of vechile speed and the truck pathh does not have to be a perfectlt striaght one.

Mamba Max and other controller can be set for acceleration rate and a top speed can be set (Throttle EPA) so that even a 6 year old could drive the tow truck. It would even be possibe to drive the truck and fly the glider but only after many test runs and trimming. Truck direction could be toward the glider pilot if that would give him a better view of the gliders wings or perhaps mid point would be a bteer location.

The first attempt does not have to be a full tow to 200 feet alivation. Start slow and safe and work up..

If AS3X works as great as many post it does then trimmed for tow the glider could perhaps be hands off during tow.

I can just see a bunch of the HH R & D / test pilots .ooking around to see which RC vechiles would be test to give this a try. New combo RC package am RC Sail Plane ( not really a glider as they are powered) and the RC truck to get it airborn.

Perhaps a 2.4 Transmitter which can be bound to Sailplane and Truck on same model memory so only one transmitter required. Glider onlly needs right stick and a gear or Aux. channel and truck only need left stick for throttle and steering so I guess two receiver bound to same transmitter( mnodel memory) would work as is..

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 11, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,796 Posts
Quote:
But the key to towing a glider is slow steady acceleration up to perhaps 20 MPH if even that. My guess is only 10 MPH or so would be plenty of vechile speed and the truck pathh does not have to be a perfectlt striaght one.

Mamba Max and other controller can be set for acceleration rate and a top speed can be set (Throttle EPA) so that even a 6 year old could drive the tow truck. It would even be possibe to drive the truck and fly the glider but only after many test runs and trimming. Truck direction could be toward the glider pilot if that would give him a better view of the gliders wings or perhaps mid point would be a bteer location.

The first attempt does not have to be a full tow to 200 feet alivation. Start slow and safe and work up..

If AS3X works as great as many post it does then trimmed for tow the glider could perhaps be hands off during tow.

I can just see a bunch of the HH R & D / test pilots .ooking around to see which RC vechiles would be test to give this a try. New combo RC package am RC Sail Plane ( not really a glider as they are powered) and the RC truck to get it airborn.

Perhaps a 2.4 Transmitter which can be bound to Sailplane and Truck on same model memory so only one transmitter required. Glider onlly needs right stick and a gear or Aux. channel and truck only need left stick for throttle and steering so I guess two receiver bound to same transmitter( mnodel memory) would work as is..

Charles
Charles,

Wow. Self auto towing. Now, that's getting creative! However - if the glider & truck are sharing the rudder channel, things might get interesting at times.

Joel
RCG Plus Member