HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Mar 2011
103 Posts
My flying buddy has v1 and has been chased by monarch butterflies on a few occasions . I have tried to video them but there always to far away to see them in the videos. One day !!!!
Wayne on Maui is offline Find More Posts by Wayne on Maui
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:50 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
782 Posts
Did anyone else notice that on the Carbon Cub video it says "includes tow bracket for UM Sailplanes....... Shown with UMX ASK21 EFLU1280"

does this mean that we can expect more sailplanes? um radian ?
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:05 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
Did anyone else notice that on the Carbon Cub video it says "includes tow bracket for UM Sailplanes....... Shown with UMX ASK21 EFLU1280"

does this mean that we can expect more sailplanes? um radian ?
Yup. The release video shows the CC towing the ASK-21. A number of us have both planes on pre-order.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:32 AM
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
who else thinks we need autopilot with auto landing capabilities. Plus spectrum now needs to make a switching radio so you can pull the glider up hit the switch and fly the glider while the plane lands its self....ha ha ha right...that would be the day
J31968 is offline Find More Posts by J31968
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J31968 View Post
who else thinks we need autopilot with auto landing capabilities. Plus spectrum now needs to make a switching radio so you can pull the glider up hit the switch and fly the glider while the plane lands its self....ha ha ha right...that would be the day
Would be very cool - but we'd need a pretty smart autopilot in the glider, as somebody or something has to fly it during the tow.

Towing an RC glider is not a trivial task. There will likely be a good number of, shall we say, 'eventful towing attempts' made by those who have never done it before. Worst-case - there will be quite a few banged-up Carbon Cubs & ASK-21s. Best-case - the number of capable RC glider-tug pilots will expand dramatically. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,628 Posts
I don't know from gliders.

The CC/ASK-21 combo concept intrigues me.

But, a threshold question:

With no motor in this glider, isn't there a big risk that many fliers with little experience - or with small or difficult landing areas - will be unable to get their gliders back to their landing spots?

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:56 AM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
Nice Pugsam,

Thats part of aerotow though for you, and part of the fun. Its a little different with a 2 meter, or even better yet a 3-5m scale plane but I dont see many people having to go a great distance to get the little guy back. Also wind is going to play a factor depending on how well this guy penetrates in a breeze.
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
I think the worst thing is having a newbie pilot the sail plane. If they don't know what they're doing they can drag you all over the sky. The sail plane pilot does'nt have to do much.. MMM would be a good time for a super micro aerial cam. Could get some good shots of the cub doing its work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Would be very cool - but we'd need a pretty smart autopilot in the glider, as somebody or something has to fly it during the tow.

Towing an RC glider is not a trivial task. There will likely be a good number of, shall we say, 'eventful towing attempts' made by those who have never done it before. Worst-case - there will be quite a few banged-up Carbon Cubs & ASK-21s. Best-case - the number of capable RC glider-tug pilots will expand dramatically. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Joel
J31968 is offline Find More Posts by J31968
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:14 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J31968 View Post
I think the worst thing is having a newbie pilot the sail plane. If they don't know what they're doing they can drag you all over the sky. The sail plane pilot does'nt have to do much.. MMM would be a good time for a super micro aerial cam. Could get some good shots of the cub doing its work.
Particularly since the tow line is pushing against the rudder! I know that I will have a hard time not giving a little nudge, everynow and then, when I'm controlling the ASK while a friend is flying the Cub...
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
You can see a little bit of the ASK-21 in the latest Horizon video (about 1/3rd) along with Cub, Spit, Mig, and Cub.
HorizonHobby.com On the Horizon - 2-9-12 (53 min 30 sec)
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:15 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:

Joel
You can count me among those who've had "eventful towing attempts." Experience in full scale was no help. I won't describe the whole thing, but that's the first time I did a tail slide off tow. Good thing the tug was massively overpowered and able to fly lugging me by the nose. 4 meter ASK 28-18 that later got wrecked on the ground when a runaway tug ran into it.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Last edited by PeteSchug; Feb 10, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:30 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
782 Posts
Quote:
Yup. The release video shows the CC towing the ASK-21. A number of us have both planes on pre-order.

Joel
i know about the CC im just making a point that it mentions the tow point for "UM sailplanes"!
meaning not just for the ask-21...... maybe we can expect more sailplanes. especially if the as3x/rx board is without an Esc.
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:45 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
i know about the CC im just making a point that it mentions the tow point for "UM sailplanes"!
meaning not just for the ask-21...... maybe we can expect more sailplanes. especially if the as3x/rx board is without an Esc.
It's been confirmed that there's a ESC onboard. But this mean nothing since they still made the ASK anyway. I could see a motorized glider with folding prop in the future though. Unclip the motor spinner assembly, clip a new nose and tow behind the Cub as needed.

Here's a picture of the board, showing the black connector with 3 pins (so brusless possible???)

Another interesting fact on that picture: You can see the offset servos for the ailerons, the normal servos on the receiver, but the release servo is way off on one side.... Is that a different servo (one way or the other). There's no battery plugged in...
Last edited by RealGambler; Feb 10, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:49 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,116 Posts
I know this is OT, but watching the firebird stratos portion of that video with quique, it seems like this stratos is a stepup in learning to fly, the virtual instructor system seems both moderate, smooth, and a million times better than ACT. If it came as BNF i might by it.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:05 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
It does not have an esc by the looks of it, Also the release servo is the one located in front. On any other as3x board the esc portion would be towards the front of the plane like pictured below, looks like this board is actually shorter than the one pictured below which I believe is off the beast. Also the battery clip is there, its just turned around.

interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet