HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_virens View Post
Thanks everyone for comments. I agree with fact that LVC kicks in sooner at low freezing temperatures as compared to when it's warm.
I can also agree that the twin micro motors + asx3 pull more current than the single motor in UM PoleCat.
Last couple of days, I have been experimenting with my twin mot ASK and here are some observations:
This time the LiPos were warm. I used my friends LiPo warming case and they were over 30deg C till just before flying.

First the eflite 150mAh 25C LiPos, LVC after 30seconds. Later I could fly 4mins of PoleCat with them.
Then SLS 150mAh 20C LiPos I could fly the ASK for good 4mins before LVC.
Another LiPo 120mAh 20C decent 3mins of flying LVC.
All batteries are only 10-12 flights old.

I wonder why the eflitte 25C LiPos give up so soon. Is it that for my use lower C Lipos are better for my twin motor ASK. Does it make sense?
Elfite UM cells are noted for their poor performance - especially in cold wx. They're also noted for giving up the ghost early. Often, in just 20-30 cycles. Try a Hyperion 160 mAh UM cell. They are by far the best-performing UM cells in cold wx. But they still don't perform as well as they do in temps above 50 F. This stuff is pretty much common knowledge amongst those of us who have been flying these UMs in cold wx for the past few years.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:33 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_virens View Post
Thanks everyone for comments. I agree with fact that LVC kicks in sooner at low freezing temperatures as compared to when it's warm.
I can also agree that the twin micro motors + asx3 pull more current than the single motor in UM PoleCat.
Last couple of days, I have been experimenting with my twin mot ASK and here are some observations:
This time the LiPos were warm. I used my friends LiPo warming case and they were over 30deg C till just before flying.

First the eflite 150mAh 25C LiPos, LVC after 30seconds. Later I could fly 4mins of PoleCat with them.
Then SLS 150mAh 20C LiPos I could fly the ASK for good 4mins before LVC.
Another LiPo 120mAh 20C decent 3mins of flying LVC.
All batteries are only 10-12 flights old.

I wonder why the eflitte 25C LiPos give up so soon. Is it that for my use lower C Lipos are better for my twin motor ASK. Does it make sense?
Each time you take one of these batteries to LVC you are reducing its lifespan.
The Eflites in particular will not put up with this for long...

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:27 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Totally off topic but eflite has come out with a quarter scale Blanik. I haven't ordered one but I am almost certainly going to get it. I'm hoping to see it at the WRAM show at the end of the month.

Now if only we can convince them to make a micro Blanik and a quarter scale ASK-21.

I haven't taken measurements, but I think the Blanik's wing planform might actually be better in micro scale than the ASK-21, by which I mean it may be in a better Reynolds number range.

Sad to say, on the full-scale front I had the opportunity to fly a Blanik but never did.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:21 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,625 Posts
I've flown Blaniks and you havent missed much. The K21 is much nicer to fly and more comfy.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
On the two seater/training glider front I've flown the Ka-7, the Schweitzer 2-22, 2-32 and 2-33. I loved the Ka-7, really didn't like the 2-33 , found the 2-32 very impressive in terms of feeling like I was flying a B-17 and the 2-22 one of the most pleasant to fly planes I've ever been in. The performance was not very good but it was relatively light on the controls. I think it only lost something like 200 feet a turn in a spin. By contrast the 2-32 had the most vicious feeling spin I've ever felt and did not always come out of a spin promptly. The 2-33 was hard to get into a spin. The only entry is from a gradual crossed control stall. It stabilizes at a rather high speed, feeling almost like a spiral dive. The Ka-7 was decidedly normal in all ways except that when you opened the spoilers they got sucked fully open with a BANG unless you were prepared for it.

Of the lot I liked flying the Ka-7 the most but probably enjoyed the 2-22 for the pleasure of just plain flying.

At this point I am sorry I never got around to flying the Blanik just for the experience. It was in private hands and I had a good relationship with the FBO and stuck to his planes or those of the local club while I was a member.

I also had stick time but no solo in the Pratt Reed. (or is it Reade?) not the biggest thrill of my life. I wish I had the opportunity to solo it also, but I took my flight in it because it was being sold. Only 75 were built and 24 still flying at that time.

Funny thing is I now know someone who was associated with that Blanik and remembers it fondly.

My feelings are that you should try to fly every reasonable plane that comes your way. I've heard many people badmouth the 2-22 but I don't think they had sufficient experience to appreciate its good points. It's also the glider that Captain Sullenberger had the most or all his experience in.

Just so much babble, I hope to take a flight in an ASK-21 this summer. I probably will not get checked out since there isn't much chance of fitting a lot of flying in anymore. Of course if I hit the lottery I will promptly buy one and a house near the airport but that's way beyond expectations.

Pete the wild dreamer.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:37 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post

Now if only we can convince them to make a micro Blanik and a quarter scale ASK-21.

I haven't taken measurements, but I think the Blanik's wing planform might actually be better in micro scale than the ASK-21, by which I mean it may be in a better Reynolds number range.

Sad to say, on the full-scale front I had the opportunity to fly a Blanik but never did.

Pete
There was a guy over in the 1/4 scale Blanik thread complaining about the weight of the 1/4 Blanik as compared to his 1/4 ASK. I pointed out to him that the Blanik has around 50% more wing area than the ASK at the same scale, so, yes, it would likely do a bit better as a micro. The little ASK has 80 sq in, so the little Blanik would have around 120 sq in at the same scale.

I did a little scratch built 1-26 with the AR6400 gear last year. Flies great. Weighs less than half as much as the little ASK. Launch it aerotow behind a uM Champ or piggyback on a buddies old Lupo parkflyer.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:52 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
I've flown Blaniks and you havent missed much. The K21 is much nicer to fly and more comfy.
I've flown Blaniks a long time ago and don't really remember them.
Now I own a sixth share in a Super Blanik. Whilst the glide angle is not fantastic (some wealthier chaps would say it is not even that good ) it makes up for it in other ways. I took my Dad for a flight the other day and he loved it too.

Oh, it spins like a top too! One particular flight I thermalled up to 4000' and spun down. Three times in a row using the same lift!!

Good times

So I guess add me to a UM Blanik too, or HH, a UM Super Blanik
(same thing but minus the flaps and with a T tail)

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:11 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
On the two seater/training glider front I've flown the Ka-7, the Schweitzer 2-22, 2-32 and 2-33. I loved the Ka-7, really didn't like the 2-33 , found the 2-32 very impressive in terms of feeling like I was flying a B-17 and the 2-22 one of the most pleasant to fly planes I've ever been in. ..........

My feelings are that you should try to fly every reasonable plane that comes your way. I've heard many people badmouth the 2-22 but I don't think they had sufficient experience to appreciate its good points. It's also the glider that Captain Sullenberger had the most or all his experience in.

Pete the wild dreamer.
My early training was in a 2-22 with a couple of flights in a 2-32 for spin training. Took a break from soaring after the local soaring FBO closed and picked it up again at a local club about 10 years later. Finished my training and got my private in the 2-33 with a few fights in an ASK and a Grob. Then lots of time in the club 1-26s.

I agree that the 2-22 was pleasant to fly, but I much preferred the 2-33, personally. Not quite as nimble as the 2-22, but the better performance made up for it and very pleasant to fly. Gave a LOT of club demo rides in them. In my mind, the 2-22 is a glider, while the 2-33 makes it over the line to a sailplane...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
[snip]
In my mind, the 2-22 is a glider, while the 2-33 makes it over the line to a sailplane...
The last flight in my sailplane logbook was in a 2-33. I stayed up for an hour and fifteen minutes. I watched the Blanik get towed off at least three times. When I landed the YL's in the operations shack wanted to charge me for a fifteen minute flight. It seems I was the only one who stayed up at all up to that point.

That said I will add that I got my first hour long flight in the 2-22 as well as my glider rating. I probably spun it ten times. Twice for my examiner.

BTW, Nice photos of the 1-26. I once made drawings of a folding wing 1-26 in the style of the Jim Walker interceptor but to get a Vapor brick into it would have required enlarging it a little more than I wanted to. Since it was catapult launched enlarging it affected how far you could pull back the rubberband.

Sorry about all the off topic posts, but I did want to mention the Blanik and the idea of a micro version and the hope of a quarter scale ASK-21 someday.

Pete
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:45 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
681 Posts
There is nothing wrong with good off topic posts. You brought back some old memories. As a 10 year old kid, I spent much of my summers in the 60's sitting on a hill watching Blaniks being towed up and doing some amazing acrobatics, several times passing just meters over my head inverted and then rolling or looping upright and shooting right back up before going for a landing. This was Brno aeroclub in Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic). Did get to fly several times in a Blanik, Fieseler Storch, Cmelak......
Blanik is a sole reason why I took up model gliders then and came back to them exclusively nowadays.
Dan
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:48 PM
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,625 Posts
The L13 (never flew the L23) is an all aluminum flying spam can. Didnt fly badly, just that once you step in to pretty much any all glass ship, its tough to compare! Also Im 6'3" and the L13 was cramped for me! The K21 was a new generation ship and way better. Only advantage of a Blanik for training is it gave you some flap and retract training, but you could argue these were over engineered and didnt give much performance benefit. My vote is K series as a trainer and I flew K2, K7, K13 as well as the K21 (and K23 single seat version). All these flew nicely.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:13 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Boo! (super) Blaniks all the way!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:19 PM
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,625 Posts
if its any consolation a Blanik would probably survive lightning strikes better than a K21, especially positive lightning, see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1323 if you missed the earlier post and link!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:48 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
ive never flown a blanik. they look like fun but ive learnt in a k13 and k21. both great fun to fly. 13s spin well and are used all the time for my yearly check flights. just yesterday i was stalling and spining with a good friend and instructor.
the 21 is a good looking plane, docile and very strong. ill be doing my aerobatics badge in one soon enough. the jounior is a great spinning glider, you know you spun it properly when you exit the spin and it bunts over to almost inverted. great fun.

as far as the 1/4 scale goes....i already have a rodel model ask21 4.2 meter. and it flies great.
however id love to see something new with better build quality and details. maybe sprung landing gear? proper a/t hook and winch hook? and a SCALE detailed cockpit thankyouplease! ill be keeping an eye out for one. im sure hh will pick up on the glider front. i just want the programing on my dx8.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:11 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,244 Posts
Here's two pictures, the first of course is the UM ASK-21 and it's mini brother(I got it for $35 back when Gravity Hobbies had them only 2chn) The other is my Blanik profile using a vapor brick weighs in at 28gr and can be airtowed indoors with a T-28.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER