HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:00 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,972 Posts
Thanks for the info,, micro -tow... full size bird.. ...like the nitro one or parkflyer...
will ck. out the old utube...
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:40 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,478 Posts
Got two more flights on the twin micro motor ASK on Sunday. 3-4 club members wandered up while flying it and every single one asked where the motors was .... I had to do a banked fly by about 20 feet out for them to see the motors.

It has just enough power to do a nice touch and go on our very smooth runway.

Will have to work on getting a video of it in action.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:41 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
697 Posts
Has anyone had positive experience thermal hunting this little bird? Is the general concensus that she's good for slope soaring but too small for thermalling?

And how is she for wind-surfing? (over flat land in wind, not on a slope)

Love my Radian and like the looks of this one, but wondering if she's pretty well limited to slope soaring, in which case I'll have to pass for now.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:46 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Here in the northern hemisphere there won't be any real thermal activity until April or so. My full scale logbook tells the same dismal story with fifteen minute flights growing longer by five minutes a weekend until suddenly it's possible to stay up as long as you'd like.

I won't even take mine out of the box looking for thermals now, but in late spring or early summer I expect to find them thought I admit that the high start as supplied is barely enough under really good conditions. I think a site that has both slope and thermal possibilities would be ideal. That's what Wurtsboro, where I learned full scale flying has. A thirty mile long ridge with known hot spots fot thermal flying.

I guess you'll have to rely on reports from the Southern Hemisphere. I've got enough toys to see me through the winter.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:12 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Here in the northern hemisphere there won't be any real thermal activity until April or so. My full scale logbook tells the same dismal story with fifteen minute flights growing longer by five minutes a weekend until suddenly it's possible to stay up as long as you'd like.

I won't even take mine out of the box looking for thermals now, but in late spring or early summer I expect to find them thought I admit that the high start as supplied is barely enough under really good conditions. I think a site that has both slope and thermal possibilities would be ideal. That's what Wurtsboro, where I learned full scale flying has. A thirty mile long ridge with known hot spots fot thermal flying.

I guess you'll have to rely on reports from the Southern Hemisphere. I've got enough toys to see me through the winter.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for your reply! Good observations and information. Yes, I'll look forward to some Southern Hemisphere reports, too...and yours come April and May.

I fly my Radian all the time down here...year round when weather permits. It will find thermals and is fun to work even when the lift is spotty and weak. That's just more fun challenge. And when I find good lift or a boomer...yaaayyy!

Since I live near the coast, we don't have ridges or big hills or other natural slope soaring sites. I could go to the beach and slope soar there...and may try it. Too many people on it during warm weather, but I might find an open site now that it's colder. And perhaps the little ASK-21 would be excellent there..

Just thought this looks neat. ...and am trying to justify the expense, I guess. Like you, I've got enough other planes to fly.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:26 AM
Joined Nov 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Got two more flights on the twin micro motor ASK on Sunday. 3-4 club members wandered up while flying it and every single one asked where the motors was .... I had to do a banked fly by about 20 feet out for them to see the motors.

It has just enough power to do a nice touch and go on our very smooth runway.

Will have to work on getting a video of it in action.
Hi Thomas,
Would you mind telling how much nose weight you needed to get the c.g. right? What kind of battery you are using, Stock, parallel, or bigger?
I am almost done with my twin micro motor mod. Need to adjust the c.g. and do the test flight. Will load some pics if all goes well.
Regards,
Viren
rc_virens is offline Find More Posts by rc_virens
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:01 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,972 Posts
Well I have had mine for a few days and have my opinion....
1. the bungie sucks at best...my line kept getting caught in the grass ,so finally I was able to lay it out on asphalt...I kept getting pulled to one side or the other and had to dive it to get it to release...Not impressed at all.
2. I got fairly good height with the hand launce, enough to trim..
3. The stableaization worked great...very impressed and finally I was getting depressed with it and today did a tow...
Needed a slower tow plane but finally worked it out and got a nice 100+ feet or so...WOW...very nice...thats the only way to go...My buddy almost crashed watching my bird got a little fast and my bird started swinging around but just released the line and all was well...Love that release....With a little work with my buddy I think we have a winning combo......now looking for a slope to work
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:46 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,972 Posts
Another great day of towing..My buddy had a nice geared cub and it did the job nicely..I have learned two things about towing...Do not go too fast or it will start to oscilate on you and just use the rudder for turning...We got up to around 300 ft..but too cloudy to have any thermals...Nice day to just fly...
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:59 PM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post

Pete
id have to disagree there pete!
me and my friend flew together in the club ask21 on the 1st january and found lift.

January soaring (5 min 26 sec)

and me and my bro went out last sunday and thermaled to 1173ft with the radian and radian pro.

yes the weather will get better (i hope) but thermals are out there already. just keep looking.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:19 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_virens View Post
Hi Thomas,
Would you mind telling how much nose weight you needed to get the c.g. right? What kind of battery you are using, Stock, parallel, or bigger?
I am almost done with my twin micro motor mod. Need to adjust the c.g. and do the test flight. Will load some pics if all goes well.
Regards,
Viren
Sorry, I missed your post.

With my motor mod, I am actually flying it on the stock battery and no extra ballast. I do think it is just a hair tail heavy. I have also flown it with a dime stuck in the nose and that worked well, also.

Eventual plan is to make a Y-harness so I can run two stock batteries in parallel, with the second one installed in the aft cockpit area, under the canopy.

Flew the little ASK indoors Saturday evening, at a large full court gym at a middle school. Did well there, but I would no try anyplace smaller. Was a big hit with the other indoor guys.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:42 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,526 Posts
I thermalled underneath and in a snow cloud in Scotland in March. Got to 8000 feet in huge lift flying a Slingsby Vega. Had to land when it started dumping heavy snow on the field by diving with full airbrake down from 8000 and touching down in clear air but rolling out into the snow. Another glider didn't get down in time and had to land out. One of the best hours of my life.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:03 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
I thermalled underneath and in a snow cloud in Scotland in March. Got to 8000 feet in huge lift flying a Slingsby Vega. Had to land when it started dumping heavy snow on the field by diving with full airbrake down from 8000 and touching down in clear air but rolling out into the snow. Another glider didn't get down in time and had to land out. One of the best hours of my life.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:09 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Socommk23,

At Wurtsboro where I learned to fly we've had snow on the ground all winter. The runways were packed snow and my first solo was in a Champ on skiis. That was on Jan. 26, 1963. Winter weather has improved since those days but aside from finding a few bumps here and there nobody thermalled in our winters. We did have a few guys chasing wave and I had one low altitude wave encounter (and, apparently some rotor) but in general ridge lift was it in the winter around here, at least in those days.

Edit

Here's the location of Wurtsboro according to Google Earth:

41 35.8918 N 74 27.6181 W

Not much snow this winter or maybe for the past ten winters but they are expecting two feet this Friday!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Feb 07, 2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:36 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Flying in the winter around here usually feels just like flying over a large lake in the summer. The air is nearly always glassy-smooth. Almost surreal. It's pretty tough to get any updrafts going when there's an endless expanse of white stuff on the ground.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:46 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,972 Posts
I am so enjoying having this bird towed up..My buddy and I have it down to a science..Now if I could just get some thermals...I am working on a caddy that I can attach and fly this bird up to altitude..it will then release and under parachute return to earth..waiting for some material...if it works will show vidio of it later.....