SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2012, 07:50 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl View Post
I just picked up a second cub from the same store I bought the first from today and the left aileron immediately failed up. After some working on it a bit I have it working, though not smoothly. While doing that the elevator servo stuck just like my first cub.

I will disagree with you. Two cubs in one week with the same problems. I've had many of the UM's myself in the last three year's with one or two minor problems. Really...two in the same week? I might just give up on this one for the time being. I just haven't decided. I am not impressed with quality control I know that. Unfortunate considering I liked how it flew for the battery and half I used on cub #1.
do you have your throws dialed down in your transmitter? just wondering...
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 08:01 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Rat RC View Post
What did you open this with?

Greg
win.zip
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old May 11, 2012, 08:02 PM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
555 Posts
Happy Camper!

CC arrived this afternoon, via UPS. Since flown 8 packs through, and all I can
say is WOW! What a wonderful plane. Someone earlier said HH hit a home run
with this one and I agree. Setup with 2 ail, 1 flap, on my DX8, as recommended in this thread. No dual rates, no expo.

Tried packs from E-flite 120, 160, 180, and the recommended 200, as well as a TP 250. All flew great. 250 requires just a tad more speed, but flies really well.
A stock 200 after 5 min flight (gentle throttle) had 7.96 v left in, almost 80%, so I'm looking forward to some longer flights tomorrow.

Only change I'm making is to move the control rods in a couple of holes for more control authority.

John
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
Old May 11, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,423 Posts
Got mine working, and some parts arrived from HH. Still backordered on the offset servos, so I installed a couple of regular linear servos from my UMX Extra 3D (it was dead).

I know these servos are made for AS3X duty, but they are working fine and this only be a temporary fix until the offset servo replacement arrives.

For now, I added an ail->rud mix to make up for the lack of aileron differential. I didn't want to put the brick in 6 channel mode and lose AS3X on one aileron. I also decreased overall servo travel on rudder so that the sum of the mix input + max rudder input does not go above 95%.

All is well, and the plane flies great!
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old May 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,020 Posts
I just got back from my first flight. It was too windy for a maiden but I did it anyway. Flew one pack about 5 minutes. No problems, no sticking servos, no crashes, no incident. The flight went perfect, just as I had anticipated. It just wasn't much fun in all that wind. So I packed it up and came home.
I don't think I have any other planes, except the beast 3D, that would have handled that wind. I think it was too much wind for the micro GEE BEE. Some of my larger park flyer's would have had trouble with this much wind.
I installed some larger wheels/tires before I flew it. I don't know what the stock wheels/tires weigh, so I can't compare it. But it sure looks better.
These wheels fit right on without changing anything.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old May 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,356 Posts
Float PIcs

Here are my pics of my float installation. Pretty easy except for those tiny screws. They give you extra screws for those times you drop one and can't find it. Make sure to use the proper screw driver. One thats too blunt or too sharp will strip these screws also.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old May 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
After seeing it with the grasshopper wheels in the mods thread I am definitely going to have to pick some up for my Cub, which is coming tomorrow
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old May 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
The deed is did.

We had half a gale blowing at the club meeting (photo when I get home) but I flew anyway. Grass field so I launched straight up at full power.

I had two or three nice flights including a couple of landings. Looped, did one very slow roll. Have to remember to use full power and fly FAST. Rolls at scale like speeds are very, very slow. Or at least the only one I tried was.

I think I have the elevator maxed out, but I could not spin in several attempts. Just a wide spiral dive.

Tried the flaps in both positions. Since most of the flying was at half throttle and the flaps take two seconds I experienced no ballooning even though I do not have an elevator mix in.

Used full power occasionally and also hung almost stationary at times.

Packed up

BUT

Later I flew a circuit to show a friend and landed short. Was gliding in nicely with almost no power. Hit the throttle either too gently or too late and flipped on landing. Very gentle but the prop shaft broke!

Managed to lose the prop and spinner to. I stuck it in my pocket but apparently not deep enough and it dropped out while cleaning up and putting the barbecue grill away. My flying buddy is the club chef and field meetings include hot dogs, hamburgers, marinated chicken breasts, soda etc! Maybe I lost it then.

I have a spare 180 lying around, dunno yet if the shaft is replaceable or what my prop options are. The landing was pretty soft and on cropped grass. It was the only flip and there is no other damage so I'm a bit annoyed. I've done much worse with several other planes.

Oh well, I may not get another chance to fly until next month anyway. My flying buddy seems to have lost interest in flying his third scale cub in favor of golf.

Think I'll build a boat and sail in Central Park

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old May 11, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Dec 2009
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrlybird View Post
I just got done with my first time float flying after 18 years in the hobby, lots of fun and the kids loved it.

At the end of my second flight, I began to notice that the right aileron servo began sticking and making lots of noise.

Here is an easy fix
This problem is widely known with the blade mcpx which uses similar (if not the same) servos. A simple fix is to remove the servo and remove the three screws on the back of the servo. These three screws fasten the motor and gearing to the circuit board.
Seperate the gearing section being careful not to disturb or touch the sensor pins (you will know exactly what is meant when the gearing is separated). Use a Q-tip with some alcohol to clean the black guide strip on the circuit board (this is what the pins touch when assembled).
-Reassemble.

Happy flying!
You shouldn't have to do this with a quality BNF bird. I barely have time to fly never mind fixing the manufacturers problems! I can barely find time to repair my own crash damage.
Yeti1234 is offline Find More Posts by Yeti1234
Old May 11, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Some people (me for sure) had a bunch of trouble breaking the prop adapters on the Sbach. Check out threads here by ICU. He designed a prop adapter that is pretty well indestructable for these motors. He sells them through shapeways I believe. It will stop the prop adapter breaking. Or as an alternative you can use gws props either 5030 about the same as stock or the 5043, faster and save the prop adapter breakage. They are more flexible than the stock e-flight prop.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
The deed is did.

We had half a gale blowing at the club meeting (photo when I get home) but I flew anyway. Grass field so I launched straight up at full power.

I had two or three nice flights including a couple of landings. Looped, did one very slow roll. Have to remember to use full power and fly FAST. Rolls at scale like speeds are very, very slow. Or at least the only one I tried was.

I think I have the elevator maxed out, but I could not spin in several attempts. Just a wide spiral dive.

Tried the flaps in both positions. Since most of the flying was at half throttle and the flaps take two seconds I experienced no ballooning even though I do not have an elevator mix in.

Used full power occasionally and also hung almost stationary at times.

Packed up

BUT

Later I flew a circuit to show a friend and landed short. Was gliding in nicely with almost no power. Hit the throttle either too gently or too late and flipped on landing. Very gentle but the prop shaft broke!

Managed to lose the prop and spinner to. I stuck it in my pocket but apparently not deep enough and it dropped out while cleaning up and putting the barbecue grill away. My flying buddy is the club chef and field meetings include hot dogs, hamburgers, marinated chicken breasts, soda etc! Maybe I lost it then.

I have a spare 180 lying around, dunno yet if the shaft is replaceable or what my prop options are. The landing was pretty soft and on cropped grass. It was the only flip and there is no other damage so I'm a bit annoyed. I've done much worse with several other planes.

Oh well, I may not get another chance to fly until next month anyway. My flying buddy seems to have lost interest in flying his third scale cub in favor of golf.

Think I'll build a boat and sail in Central Park

Pete
That's a bummer, I've nosed over in the grass a bunch of times, it's always with the throttle off on roll out though. If I do it right, I stay in the semi-bare spots on the grass and the landings are fine. She won't handle much grass even with 1.5 inch wheels.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old May 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Here are my pics of my float installation. Pretty easy except for those tiny screws. They give you extra screws for those times you drop one and can't find it. Make sure to use the proper screw driver. One thats too blunt or too sharp will strip these screws also.
Those floats look nice, my LHS got a set in and tried to get me to buy them today.... Might have to go back and get them
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old May 11, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrlybird View Post
I just got done with my first time float flying after 18 years in the hobby, lots of fun and the kids loved it.

At the end of my second flight, I began to notice that the right aileron servo began sticking and making lots of noise.

Here is an easy fix
This problem is widely known with the blade mcpx which uses similar (if not the same) servos. A simple fix is to remove the servo and remove the three screws on the back of the servo. These three screws fasten the motor and gearing to the circuit board.
Seperate the gearing section being careful not to disturb or touch the sensor pins (you will know exactly what is meant when the gearing is separated). Use a Q-tip with some alcohol to clean the black guide strip on the circuit board (this is what the pins touch when assembled).
-Reassemble.

Happy flying!
Or just spray it with deoxit and work it for a while, then let it set for a few minutes then work it some more. I have had to repeat the sequence, but on my cc one shot did it.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 11, 2012, 09:42 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Hoping to sneak one of these into the hanger when the wife isn't looking. Lol. I need a plane of this style since all I have are a beast v1, umx sbach and a um Stryker. Must get me one. Lol.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old May 11, 2012, 09:58 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Those floats look nice, my LHS got a set in and tried to get me to buy them today.... Might have to go back and get them
Hey, its only $20 for 1 oz of foam. Man, they're expensive!
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer