HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 07:48 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Yeah, I think reversing the flap servo is a common thing...

Come on HH, why dont you put an official setup on your updates page?
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 08:39 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblister View Post
I did think of that also. But what happens if you have full flap on the switch and turn the knob, or are using the knob and knock the flap switch accidentally. It took the flap servo way past its limit when I tried.
That's always a possibility, it's another thing a pilot has to keep in mind. That's why I put the knob on a switch so it can be turned on or off. You are more likely to bump the flap switch than the knob.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old May 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
McKinney, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
154 Posts
13 flights and the elevator servo stopped responding. Broken prop adaptor. Elevator was working when I arrived at the crash site. Elevator servo will work on the bench and then randomly stop responding and stays at neutral. Light pressure and it starts working again. Worked the servo gear by hand and all seem nice and smooth. Gonna try some contact cleaner to see if it helps. One question, do you just spray the cleaner on the offending servo or do you remove it from the board? Noticed that the servo screws are on the bottom of the board.

Robert
Robert Cline is offline Find More Posts by Robert Cline
Old May 11, 2012, 09:15 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cline View Post
13 flights and the elevator servo stopped responding. Broken prop adaptor. Elevator was working when I arrived at the crash site. Elevator servo will work on the bench and then randomly stop responding and stays at neutral. Light pressure and it starts working again. Worked the servo gear by hand and all seem nice and smooth. Gonna try some contact cleaner to see if it helps. One question, do you just spray the cleaner on the offending servo or do you remove it from the board? Noticed that the servo screws are on the bottom of the board.

Robert
That is no good. Can you tell if there is binding on the control rod? Does it bind on the control rod guide? Or can you tell if there is binding by looking through the canopy?

As for cleaning solution, I picked up some Deoxit F5 at Guitar Center yesterday as I heard that is a great solution to use on these servos. Just don't go to the Guitar Center by Parker near you because I picked up the last of their stock
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old May 11, 2012, 09:20 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Guilty as charged - I don't get out the rule to set my cg. I work with it until I find what I want and then mark it or mark where the battery goes. Normally don't have the foggiest idea if it's 30mm or 10 mm. I did decide one thing about this gyro (or whatever it is) thing. I really wish you could turn it on and off. I think I would have sorted out the trims much better and found the right cg quicker without the system being involved. I believe I finally have it trimmed fairly well, but I'm not sure how you can really be sure. I'm absolutely anal about having my trims set right.
Bobly,

I always measure the CG on a new plane so that I have a baseline from which to work. I then fine-tune in flight by following the standard flight-trimming steps. Makes it much easier to understand what's going on & expand one's knowledge of of the physics of flight.

Regarding trims, I assume you are talking about adjusting mechanical trims - right? Excessive tx trim (more than 3-4 clicks) interferes with AS3X, as the system interprets trim as a command input.

The correct trimming procedure with AS3X planes is to first mechanically trim, then fly & re-trim via the tx as needed. Note the amount of tx trim used. Remove all tx trim & adjust the mechanical trims accordingly.. Never use sub-trim on an AS3X plane. Use regular tx trim only for fine-tuning - and then use it very sparingly. No more than 4 clicks. Flight-trimming should be done on an absolutely calm day. A 3-4 MPH crosswind component can screw up the process on these UMs.

Regarding AS3X & flight-trimming - it doesn't interfere with control-surface trimming, but it does dampen the effects of a forward or aft CG somewhat. The effects of CG placement are still noticeable, but they're more subtle. Using the procedure above, I have not had a problem with flight-trimming AS3X planes - and I own all three of the current releases.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 09:24 AM
McKinney, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
154 Posts
There doesnt seem to be any binding of the control rod just the usual slight bowing that occures normally. Thanks I will try Radio Shack for the Deoxit. Might try disconnecting the control rod and work the elevator hinges to loosen them and see if that helps.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
The differential ailerons come from the servos and not the radio. Check out the differential servos offered by Horizon. The ailerons are effectively on a Y harness and you can set dual ailerons on the DX8 and it has no effect.
Gary
I missed this before my last post. So the differential is in the servos? Good catch.
Man this this thread hauling arse! I can't keep up...
airtimeallen is offline Find More Posts by airtimeallen
Old May 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
There doesnt seem to be any binding of the control rod just the usual slight bowing that occures normally. Thanks I will try Radio Shack for the Deoxit. Might try disconnecting the control rod and work the elevator hinges to loosen them and see if that helps.
Cool, I am not sure about the DeoxIT that Radio Shack carries, but my understanding is you need the Fader F5, Radio Shack may only have the D series, which may be ok, not sure.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old May 11, 2012, 09:30 AM
McKinney, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
154 Posts
Thanks Grovey.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:39 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
So, anybody taking off from grass with the floats yet?
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old May 11, 2012, 10:00 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Cool, I am not sure about the DeoxIT that Radio Shack carries, but my understanding is you need the Fader F5, Radio Shack may only have the D series, which may be ok, not sure.
Quote:
Thanks Grovey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
So, anybody taking off from grass with the floats yet?
Guys,

The D-series from Radio Shack also works well. I prefer FaderLube F5 because it is designed specifically for resistive strips, and it provides an extra measure of protection over the long term.

RG,

Picking up my floats today! Sat/Sun look good for flying. Might have to try it in the morning while the dew is still on the grass.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
Thus far the radio shack deoxit seems to have cured my elevator servo problem. Don't want to get into a big fuss over technicalities, but I'll just say I prefer it, but can't substantiate my claim. I have fixed about 3 other servo hangup issues with the radio shack version. It's not failed me yet.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,589 Posts
Hopefully, with the next production run Thet will get all the bugs worked out!
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2
Old May 11, 2012, 11:05 AM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
Hopefully, with the next production run Thet will get all the bugs worked out!
I think the design lends itself to foreign material & environmental corrosion....
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old May 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,589 Posts
Thats true too!
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2