HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I under stand this now.. At the time I was looking for the socket for the 6th channel to plug the flaps into.. As the middle of the board has a Y harness plugged into it,, I had thought that this was the aileron connection but it's really the flaps and lights.. The aileron servos plug into the two sockets on the side of the board which lead me to think that they were using channel 6 as dual aileron but it's just the built in Y.. So looks like this is not a 6 channel RX but a 5 channel one..
Bob,

No. It's a 6-channel rx - just like all of the other non-3-channel Spektrum bricks. I explained that in my previous post. I will say it again - the brick has two aileron modes - single-channel, dual-aileron servo (with the internal 'Y'), and dual-channel ailerons.

Chan 6 is the second aileron channel - per standard convention. The 5th channel is shared with the X-port. As I also mentioned - all of this is clearly explained in the brick manuals, which are readily-available on Spektrum's website.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bob,

No. It's a 6-channel rx - just like all of the other non-3-channel Spektrum bricks. I explained that in my previous post. I will say it again - the brick has two aileron modes - single-channel, dual-aileron servo (with the internal 'Y'), and dual-channel ailerons.

Chan 6 is the second aileron channel - per standard convention. The 5th channel is shared with the X-port. As I also mentioned - all of this is clearly explained in the brick manuals, which are readily-available on Spektrum's website.

Joel
Joel,
could you post a link to the brick manual? I looked earlier but failed to find it, I'll go to the back of the class.......
thx!
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old May 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,763 Posts
Quote:
......An intermediate pilot is one who.....is well-beyond the 'crashing stage', and no longer chooses his/her aircraft based on their crash-survivability.
Joel
You sure know how to bruise a guy's ego......

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old May 10, 2012, 06:53 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
Joel,
could you post a link to the brick manual? I looked earlier but failed to find it, I'll go to the back of the class.......
thx!
Here's the non-AS3X Beast brick manual, which is essentially the same as the Beast 3D/Gee Bee/Carbon Cub brick - aside from AS3X, HD servos, and a larger ESC: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...LBL-Manual.pdf

Here's the manual for the new user-programmable, servoless AS3X brick that's used in the Mig & will also be sold as a stand-alone for experimenters: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...LBL-Manual.pdf

Here's the manual for the brushed 1s brick: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...410-Manual.pdf

Note that all of the non-3-channel bricks are 6-channel, and that they all use the same programming to switch aileron modes.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,738 Posts
thx!

Quote:
Here's the non-AS3X Beast brick manual, which is identical to the Beast 3D/Gee Bee/Carbon Cub brick - aside from AS3X & a larger ESC: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...LBL-Manual.pdf

Here's the manual for the new user-programmable, servoless AS3X brick that's used in the Mig & will also be sold as a stand-alone for experimenters: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...LBL-Manual.pdf

Here's the manual for the brushed 1s brick: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...410-Manual.pdf

Note that all of the non-3-channel bricks are 6-channel, and that they all use the same programming to switch aileron modes.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 07:04 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
306 Posts
The CC is probably a decent 3rd plane in the ultra-micro procession. Start with the Champ to learn basic skills, learn aileron flying and build experience with the UM T-28, and then the Cub is a good step up from that.
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old May 10, 2012, 07:08 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
Heres a link to the manual

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/S...d=SPMAR6400LBL

I wanted to note a littel about the way the servos and lights are wired. When i cut it open last night i found out a little more about how its set up.
This may have been stated before, but if not this may clear things up for some people. The ailerons are actually on different channels (different plugs coming off the board) I believe the one is on the typical channel and the other is on the x-port. They are not y-harnessed because you'll notice that as you actuate the ailerons there is built in differential. You could not do this with a y-harness. So the lights are actually y-harnessed off of one of the ailerons, i think the x-port aileron. Doesn't matter, the lights just need power. And of course the flaps are on channel 5.
So when i set up my micro beaver (see avitar) i y-harnessed my ailerons, and my flaps for that matter. I just had to reverse one of my aileron servos. That way i could tern my lights on or off. However i was just using a regular ar6400l.
With these new bricks there is so much custom programming going on i want to know if you could clear all that crap out and get it back to the basic brick. I would be interesed to know so i could use one in a project some time down the road. Anyone know??
airtimeallen is offline Find More Posts by airtimeallen
Old May 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
Avon,IN
Joined Dec 2007
33 Posts
For those who have had to send their Cubs back to Horizon because of problems, you will have to wait for the next batch to get a replacement. There was some speculation that they held some back for replacements, that is not the case.

I received mine on the 7th, crashed because of a dead elevator servo, and it was back in Horizon's hands on the 9th. I was told today that I have a several week wait to get a new one. Just a heads up for those with problem Cubs.
tsever00 is offline Find More Posts by tsever00
Old May 10, 2012, 07:47 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,476 Posts
got another 2 flights in today. that's a total of 7 flight so far.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old May 10, 2012, 07:52 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Carbon Cub in a 16 MPH wind

I decided to have a wind-surfing session with the CC. Was a lot of fun. The CC handles the wind much better than any of the other undercambered UMs - including the Gee Bee. Of course, the Beast 3D handles much better in the wind and can handle far more wind than any UM plane (except for possibly the Mig 15), but the CC is very impressive in the wind - especially when one considers the undercambered wing.

Eflite UMX Carbon Cub SS in an 8-16 MPH wind (14 min 15 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
Need Help/Opinion -- Compare Beast to the Carbon Cub

As the trees have grown, my approach area to the runway has become restricted. Therefore my approaches are decending spirals/circles to the threshold and a very short straight before touchdown. I have no problem with the UMX Beast V1 or the GWS Slowstick making these approaches.

For those of you that have the Beast and the Carbon Cub could you please give me your comparison between the two aircraft regarding their flight charateristics in the above scenario. How will the CC react to a descending circular approach with the flaps down?

TIA, Byron
beqok is offline Find More Posts by beqok
Old May 10, 2012, 08:03 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeallen View Post
Heres a link to the manual

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/S...d=SPMAR6400LBL

I wanted to note a littel about the way the servos and lights are wired. When i cut it open last night i found out a little more about how its set up.
This may have been stated before, but if not this may clear things up for some people. The ailerons are actually on different channels (different plugs coming off the board) I believe the one is on the typical channel and the other is on the x-port. They are not y-harnessed because you'll notice that as you actuate the ailerons there is built in differential. You could not do this with a y-harness. So the lights are actually y-harnessed off of one of the ailerons, i think the x-port aileron. Doesn't matter, the lights just need power. And of course the flaps are on channel 5.
So when i set up my micro beaver (see avitar) i y-harnessed my ailerons, and my flaps for that matter. I just had to reverse one of my aileron servos. That way i could tern my lights on or off. However i was just using a regular ar6400l.
With these new bricks there is so much custom programming going on i want to know if you could clear all that crap out and get it back to the basic brick. I would be interesed to know so i could use one in a project some time down the road. Anyone know??
I just posted the same link 10 minutes earlier. BTW - that is the manual for the non-AS3X brick, not the CC brick. Currently, there is no manual available specifically for the AS3X brick that's used in the Beast 3D, Gee Bee, and CC. However, all of the above bricks use the same channel layout & aileron mode programming.

That is not how it works. As I have stated many times, the aileron differential is mechanical. They're using special offset servos on the ailerons. The ailerons are plugged into channel 2 & 6. For the default single-channel, dual-servo aileron mode, the brick does the 'Y' internally. When you switch to dual-channel ailerons, the second aileron servo connector becomes channel 6. This is clearly stated in the manuals. Channel 5 is flaps. It is also the X-port. That's where the lights get their power.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; May 10, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:03 PM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,738 Posts
nice wind-surfing!
I agree, the Beast 3D is the go-to UM in high winds!
I love it when ya dork it and it makes that whinny high pitch sound like it's sayin' "ouch! cut it out!"
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 08:08 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_matt View Post
I should picking one up tomorrow evening on the way back from the Airport. Has anyone stuck on some balloon tires yet? I am planning on slapping on some Trexler Balloon tires on mine. I have some 2 3/4 and 2 3/8 or something laying around. I don't know how easy it going to be to get them to fit, and am looking for some ideas on how to modify the axle length to accommodate the much larger and wider tires.
I think the second size of Trexler is just about right in appearence for a tundra tire. Two inches or larger is going to look weird.

I think I'll order a set. I have the first size, but I want them for a specific plane on my mental drawing board.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old May 10, 2012, 08:37 PM
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
405 Posts
Well, I just got two CCs tonight and got two flights in on the first one before dark. Mine needed a fair amount of tweaking on the linkage, and my buddy's had a bad elevator servo - the gear was drilled way off center and the motor would not rotate. That was fixed by replacing the gear with another from a standard servo.

Can anybody describe the flap system setup they have used ? I'd like to get it onto the flap system switch (3 position) and off the gear switch. 30-35% down elevator is needed when the flaps are out. Any suggestions???
Louierc is offline Find More Posts by Louierc