HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Oh no, what do I do?

Came back to the hobby last summer with a UM T-28 as my first experience with ailerons. I want to get a Super Cub this spring just because I love the high wing planes. I planned maybe on building from parts so I could go brushless right off the bat and do the aileron mod, perhaps flaps as well. I also thought I wanted something bigger to use in more wind.

Now this thing comes out. As much fun as my T-28 is zipping down through my trees coming from out in the field and buzzing by the swimming pool where the kids are playing, I half thought of buying a Champ instead for the relaxation flying (instead of the Supercub.) Now I want this Carbon Cub!

Unfortunately, it is just about the same price as the Supercub (more if you take in account building from parts and HobbyKing electronics.)

What do I do? I can fly a large aircraft in the field beside/behind my house, but one of my favorite flight patterns with the T-28 was diving into the yard between the trees and the house at about 5 inch flight level. I could still no doubt run the same flight pattern converting the Supercub to brushless as I could shoot straight up before the end of the line (aka, big tree in the neighbor's yard.) The UMs are just too cool to make an easy decision between the new Carbon and the large Supercub.

Which would you go for if you had the room and wanted a high wing cub?
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:13 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
381 Posts
What do you think about throwing on some Trexler baloon tires on this puppy?
I have a pair of size 6 which inflate to 2 5/8! http://www.trexlerballoonwheel.com/. I think they might be a little too big, and I would have to add something on the gear axle to get them to work since the hole size on the hub is probably 2x's the size of a typical micro gear! I really want to make this into a micro Cub bush plane!
M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:22 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_matt View Post
What do you think about throwing on some Trexler baloon tires on this puppy?.....I really want to make this into a micro Cub bush plane!
Big tires are scale!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=48
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:30 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Yea I know! I hear you!! I will make them fit!!
cubdriver749er.com - demo video 2 (0 min 27 sec)

Carbon Cub SS - Overview (5 min 30 sec)
M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Last edited by M3_matt; Feb 02, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I know this is something I would like to experiment with, but hey, there's probably some guys who have done it on other airplanes already, so tell me what you think....

The Cub has flaps, but what about programming the ailerons so they can be used as spoilerons? Basically, by using flaps AND spoilerons together, you would get some sort of airbrakes? What about programming the ailerons as flaperons? Worthless?

Curiously yours.
Essentially, that would be a powered glider in crow. The idea behind spoilerons is to avoid tip-stalls, when the angle of attack is increased. The question you raise interesting, but the gyro might not make the spoileron necessary. Guess there's only one way to find out... My wallet is shivering
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:58 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
SWEET! im gonna look into this one! this will most definitely be my intro to these UMX planes!
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
SWEET! im officially converting to UMX!!! this will most definitely be my intro to these UMX planes!
You're in for a treat. The UMX line is a BIG step ahead of the other micros IMHO.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
You're in for a treat. The UMX line is a BIG step ahead of the other micros IMHO.
i hope so! im loving what horizon hobby has done. im definitely going to be buying some UMX planes but i will also still be looking at the parkzone line because theres also a new ultra micro spitfire with AS3X!!!! this is just what i needed after a long day at school....more ways to burn my money.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:07 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
i hope so! im loving what horizon hobby has done. im definitely going to be buying some UMX planes but i will also still be looking at the parkzone line because theres also a new ultra micro spitfire with AS3X!!!! this is just what i needed after a long day at school....more ways to burn my money.
I'd highly recommend that you try the new 3D Beast with the AS3X gyro in it. Between this Beast and the original Beast, they are both, hands down, the best micro planes I've ever flown.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:18 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
426 Posts
Looks cool, hopefully it's more floaty than it appears in the video. Really interested to see how it performs off of water, and at night. Still kinda wonder why they released this and the other new models knowing the Gee Bee and AS3X Beast aren't yet available, and still have no realistic in stock date in sight. I can't imagine actually being able to get ahold of any of these models until at least next Christmas. Is Horizon hurting or something?
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I'd highly recommend that you try the new 3D Beast with the AS3X gyro in it. Between this Beast and the original Beast, they are both, hands down, the best micro planes I've ever flown.
yeah i was thinking about the beast. although, the beast doesn't interest me much. im not much of a 3D fan. im more of a scale flight/light aerobatics fan. oh and about the cub, i have to factor in the speed and size of that plane; my space is limited so i may be better off with the spitfire.
Last edited by electricrc68; Feb 02, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:35 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaulguy View Post
Looks cool, hopefully it's more floaty than it appears in the video. Really interested to see how it performs off of water, and at night. Still kinda wonder why they released this and the other new models knowing the Gee Bee and AS3X Beast aren't yet available, and still have no realistic in stock date in sight. I can't imagine actually being able to get ahold of any of these models until at least next Christmas. Is Horizon hurting or something?
GeeBee's are here and should be shipping out tomorrow, so you could expect them on shelves next week.

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:42 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,906 Posts
How about those of us who preordered from Horizon?
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:46 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
How about those of us who preordered from Horizon?
Gary
Goes out same day.

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:52 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Gotta have one NOW!!! This bird will be wild in a dive with a crow setup. I never thought about crow. WOW!! This might be the coolest move for HH yet! Towing a glider,,,,,,My wife has no idea that she is fixin to go to flight school..... captndave/zee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee