HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:22 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Just a quick note:

I've updated my FAQ to add all the new AS3X ultra-micro airplanes which came out today. So always remember to check it first if you have any questions, particularly if you're new to the AS3X technology.

Link to FAQ

And just in case (and for those poor HH guys), here's the current questions that have not been answered yet:

Link to current questions about new airplanes
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:24 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,150 Posts
One day. I already have to click "last page" on the forum page.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:26 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
728 Posts
Here's a fun fact about the fullsize CC SS, "Pricing for 2012 Carbon Cub SS ready-to-fly with the standard features: $163,280."

I was looking at pictures earlier and I don't think I like the nose of this custom Carbon Crafters Cub compared to an original Piper Super Cub. Which brought up a question of why did HH bring this model to the UMX platform and not the more iconic Piper Super Cub?

So, I did a little research and I think I found out why:
"The Carbon Cub SS is a thoroughly modern, high performance airplane that has taken the fundamentally superior design of the Piper Super Cub and reinvented it using 21st Century materials (such as carbon fiber) and computer-aided design technology.

Superior engineering results in the Carbon Cub SS having 50 percent fewer parts and being 250 pounds lighter than a similarly equipped Super Cub.

Mounting a lightweight 180 horsepower engine to this airframe results in a horsepower to weight ratio of just 7.33 pounds (compared, for example, to a Cessna 172R's 15.33 pounds). That results in a sea level climb rate of 2,100 feet per minute (compared to 650 fpm for a 172) - a deck angle that inspires involuntary expletives. No other LSA takes off or lands in a shorter distance, with better low speed manners." (Cub Crafters)

That nose isn't looking so bad now
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:01 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
And you can get the kit version for only $67000! I know that's how I would buy it!
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:03 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
gfl,

I have no idea what your LHS was thinking, or even what product they may have thought they heard about.
Maybe the Firebird Stratos???
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:14 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,219 Posts
OMG!!!! I think I just pee'd a little!!!

thank you Horizon!!

HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:18 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,219 Posts
OK, since I don't see it asked yet (prolly cuz it's too obvious to everyone but me) I'll bite..... the name Carbon Cub SS... where does the carbon and ss fit in?
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:25 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,219 Posts
me likey the "J3" looking Carbon Cubby

I don't wanna sound ungrateful cuz I reeeally like the new one... but a J3 lookin one would be schweeet

Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:28 PM
ISP Supervisor
Joined Jan 2006
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
OK, since I don't see it asked yet (prolly cuz it's too obvious to everyone but me) I'll bite..... the name Carbon Cub SS... where does the carbon and ss fit in?
Cub Crafters makes it; a revamped Piper Super Cub. The full scale is built with a lot of CF.
-Mike
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:49 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,150 Posts
Making it a carbon cub ss is i think very refreshing. Every company makes a cub, some make money, and many scratchbuilt ones, the carbon cub ss paint, wheels, and persona differentiate it and make it cool and very refreshing compared to all other cubs. Im in the young nieghborhood rc demographic, and even though im 19 and have never ever even flown a cub, i want this. If it was just another super cub i would thing "ehh, really cool though, just what people wanted, but im at peace passing on it." But its a carbon cub ss, with cool trim scheme and fake cf and big tires and cool looking, i feel like im trying to quit smoking by not pre-ordering it.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:59 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,219 Posts
thanks Mike, that's what I needed to see (cubcrafters link)...I see the refs to carbon fiber components on the scale Cubby now

geez, this last hour or so I've been soooo excited watchin' Horizons Carbon Cub SS vid and lookin at the threads of the other new planes I've been like a kid at Christmas morning! LOL

I need to slooow down and take a breath

I really like the lines of the this Carbon Cub SS... HH did a great job capturing the scale looks it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Cub Crafters makes it; a revamped Piper Super Cub. The full scale is built with a lot of CF.
-Mike
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:40 PM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
565 Posts
SWEET!

I want one of these, but I'll get it with the UMX spit, UMX ASK, and UMX MiG
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:43 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS4 View Post
SWEET!

I want one of these, but I'll get it with the UMX spit, UMX ASK, and UMX MiG
I don't think the spitfire is a UMX unfortunately.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:44 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
Tsk, tsk, Huff! That information was in my FAQ, and the link about my FAQ is just a few posts above yours!
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:47 PM
ISP Supervisor
Joined Jan 2006
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Tsk, tsk, Huff! That information was in my FAQ, and the link about my FAQ is just a few posts above yours!
He liked my post better!