SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2012, 04:19 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,779 Posts
Mine could be here today

Anyone got a Cub on 3S, if it's the same board as the Beast 3D then all should be ok
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 05:18 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Anybody have the floats yet? I need to know how long they are.
Just under a foot long, about 11 and a half inches ish.
all the bits are in the box and the cub manual tells you how to fit them.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old May 02, 2012, 05:38 AM
Joined Jan 2005
624 Posts
OK excuses time.
Last evening I was meeting someone in the pub to give them a photo of their dog I had taken edited and had printed on canvas, when my woman texted me to say she had signed for a large package, guessing what it was I went back to her boat and picked it up, grabing my TX of my boat I went back to the pub to set it up while I waited.
I don't drink alcohol before 7:30ish during the week and then only one or two low strength beers as I am trying to get my weight down, so I was drinking low fat coke.
I got it all set up and thought lets go play, normally I test fly in a field down the road, but as my friend was coming to pick up the picture I thought lets use the pub grounds, not wanting to do the first flight over the river I launched from the slipway towards the back carpark, the wind gusting through the trees to my right blew it towards the pub as it climbed, I corrected, tried to turn to the right, straight into the tree.

The slipway is the tarmac leading to the river below the pub, I launched into the small carpark that is surrounded on three sides by trees The big one was full of cars.
My fault, the shaft is on order, should get it friday.
I do have permission to fly at the pub.
Old May 02, 2012, 07:20 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,779 Posts
Is it just me or is that slipway a bit short? It dont go all the way to the water...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 07:22 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,779 Posts
Got my Cub

I'm resisting the temptation to take it to the field. I prefer my first launches ROG until it is trimmed.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Jan 2005
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Is it just me or is that slipway a bit short? It dont go all the way to the water...
The slipway surface by the river is ridged brick stuff.
I think its so the cars can get a grip when they have wet tyres.
Old May 02, 2012, 08:04 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
I do a lot of my flying from hand launches since my club field is grass.

My typical maiden/hand launch is almost straight up, full throttle as hard as I can throw. That gives me several seconds to get things under control and a couple of mistakes high.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old May 02, 2012, 08:37 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,779 Posts
Yeah, nice plan!

It's a bit too windy now though anyways...
(or am I just making excuses to myself?)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 08:46 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
OK excuses time.
Last evening I was meeting someone in the pub to give them a photo of their dog I had taken edited and had printed on canvas, when my woman texted me to say she had signed for a large package, guessing what it was I went back to her boat and picked it up, grabing my TX of my boat I went back to the pub to set it up while I waited.
I don't drink alcohol before 7:30ish during the week and then only one or two low strength beers as I am trying to get my weight down, so I was drinking low fat coke.
I got it all set up and thought lets go play, normally I test fly in a field down the road, but as my friend was coming to pick up the picture I thought lets use the pub grounds, not wanting to do the first flight over the river I launched from the slipway towards the back carpark, the wind gusting through the trees to my right blew it towards the pub as it climbed, I corrected, tried to turn to the right, straight into the tree.

The slipway is the tarmac leading to the river below the pub, I launched into the small carpark that is surrounded on three sides by trees The big one was full of cars.
My fault, the shaft is on order, should get it friday.
I do have permission to fly at the pub.
What a beautiful place. And it is a country honky tonk, dirt parking lot out back, boat ramp, bass boats, dogs were mentioned. Man it don't get no more country than that. I love it, I am jealous of that place. And diet coke is my favorite beverage. Wonderful place, something to be very proud of for sure.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old May 02, 2012, 11:23 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
309 Posts
My Cub arrived yesterday, weather was good for first day in about 3 weeks, bound to my DX8 and set wing to two servo aileron, one servo flap, the flaps seem to be reversed so -100% is flaps up, 0% is flaps down, I set servo delay to one second, and flaps seem to stutter/stick, so switched delay off, and set flaps on flap switch -100%/0, -50%/-20%, 0%/-25% - test flights were fine its pretty fast for small area's and the flaps slow it down noticably, out of the box the control response is very sluggish, I moved the pushrods 2 holes in on elev/rudder, and one hole in on aileron, also free'd up the aileron hinges which were quite stiff, flew better then, still very slow rolling, but loops OK, on my last landing the flaps stuck down again, flicking flaps switch moved elevator so its definitely something on the plane, unplug/replug battery and its fine again, so not sure what that is, I have reduced flap travel to -20% for down to check its not the servo being strained holding flaps down.
The nav lights look great, but wouldn't be sufficient for night flying, nice flying just as sun dropped though, and the colour scheme finish are very nice.

The flaps pushrod is very close to the wire coming up from centre of the all in one board, so I wonder if in flight that wire is moving about and catching on flap servo link - anyone else having issues with flaps sticking down ?

UPDATED: Reduced down flaps to -20% on DX8 (ie 80% of full down travel), and this now seems fine, I think as stock the flaps servo is pulling too far, as the flaps are probably stiff (ailerons were, but I can't disconnect flaps linkage to free them up or check), I think this is overloading the servo holding flaps fully down ! Fine for people with computer radio's which I guess will be most Cub fliers, but if you only have a DX4 this may be an issue !!
jblackmore is offline Find More Posts by jblackmore
Last edited by jblackmore; May 07, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old May 02, 2012, 11:29 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I would rebind the plan to your TX and see if some of the anolymalies you are seeing go away. I wouldn't think the flaps binding would be solved at all.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old May 02, 2012, 11:31 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
309 Posts
I've rebound, both in DSM2 and DSMX and flaps still stick occasionally on both, sometimes they release if I flick switch back and forth, the servo moves smoothly so I don't think its a scruffy servo gear, I'd say it sticks 1in 20 or less, so hopefully reducing down travel will help.
Old May 02, 2012, 11:34 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
One thing I would do for sure is call Horizon Hobby and tell them the issue or contact the vendor that you received it from to see what they say about it.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old May 02, 2012, 11:36 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
309 Posts
I emailed HorizonUK and the retailer last night, they have both replied supportingly, Horizon suggest moving the servo wire away from flap linkage and checking servo gears are 'clean', retailer suggested reducing flap through, in case servo is binding.
Old May 02, 2012, 12:04 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackmore View Post
My Cub arrived yesterday, weather was good for first day in about 3 weeks, bound to my DX8 and set wing to two servo aileron, one servo flap
It probably wont cure your problem but really the wing should be set to 1 servo aileron and 1 servo flap. They work off a Y lead, trying to separate the ailerons upsets the AS3X
RCG Plus Member