Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:07 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,475 Posts
@Ben (bhoov128)

Nice, bro!... now those are bushwheels (tires + wheels)

(thanks for the shout out )

EDIT
...would love to see video of that flying!

PS - To answer your question, I just used the bench mount belt sander as a treadmill to spin the wheel (stuck a drill bit through the axle hole before I removed the plastic hub) while holding a piece of sandpaper against the tread with my other hand... literally took about 10 seconds to remove the tread, then did a bit of tweaking to the overall shape. Then, like you did, removed the plastic hub and pressure fit the tires on over the Champ stock tires... as you know, their foam just compresses.

The bevel most of these aftermarket tires have that's hidden behind the flange of the plastic hub really gives them a true scale shape if you ditch the hub... and the center hole in the tire is smaller than what you see when the stock hubs with their flange are still in the tire... removing that hub/flange really adds to the scale appearance as far as rim size... real Cub rims are only 6"... sometimes 10" ... I think the real Caron Cub uses the 6" Clevelands.

Yours look great, mang!
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Feb 28, 2013 at 04:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:48 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
@Ben (bhoov128)

Nice, bro!... now those are bushwheels (tires + wheels)

(thanks for the shout out )

EDIT
...would love to see video of that flying!

PS - To answer your question, I just used the bench mount belt sander as a treadmill to spin the wheel (stuck a drill bit through the axle hole before I removed the plastic hub) while holding a piece of sandpaper against the tread with my other hand... literally took about 10 seconds to remove the tread, then did a bit of tweaking to the overall shape. Then, like you did, removed the plastic hub and pressure fit the tires on over the Champ stock tires... as you know, their foam just compresses.

The bevel most of these aftermarket tires have that's hidden behind the flange of the plastic hub really gives them a true scale shape if you ditch the hub... and the center hole in the tire is smaller than what you see when the stock hubs with their flange are still in the tire... removing that hub/flange really adds to the scale appearance as far as rim size... real Cub rims are only 6"... sometimes 10" ... I think the real Caron Cub uses the 6" Clevelands.

Yours look great, mang!
Thank you sir! The great planes wheels had the perfect roundness to the "tread" area, ballooned out, but after I removed the plastic hub there was a lip you can see it in the pictures, it's not quite smooth. I was having difficulty sanding it off so I just let it be, it's not that intrusive and I'm sure when flying just having the big fattie wheels hanging off the front will look super cool
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:56 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
Thanks - It did - flew today at dusk with wet snow falling - very picturesque - plane flew fine but seemed sluggish but maybe just on takeoff due to the heavy wet snow.

A bit more vibration now even though the prop is still balanced - and the motor concerns me with that shrill whistle at mid throttle - could it be a bearing?
Mine flys heavy in wet snow and that's on a sunny day. Just a bit of melted snow or slush is actually quite heavy. If I were flying in fallen snow I could imagine the plane getting very heavy. The plane weights 3oz. with a battery in it. 3 or 4 grams of water will be noticeable.
My motor makes a bit of a whistle, like harmonics sound, but I would call it shrill, just noticeable at certain RPM. Don't know what to say about that. Vibration and noise...bad combo. I bet they are linked.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:06 PM
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Mine flys heavy in wet snow and that's on a sunny day. Just a bit of melted snow or slush is actually quite heavy. If I were flying in fallen snow I could imagine the plane getting very heavy. The plane weights 3oz. with a battery in it. 3 or 4 grams of water will be noticeable.
My motor makes a bit of a whistle, like harmonics sound, but I would call it shrill, just noticeable at certain RPM. Don't know what to say about that. Vibration and noise...bad combo. I bet they are linked.
Mike
I noticed mine making weird whiny noises soon after I got it last summer. It was obviously motor noise , because it changed with throttle settings, but it was like no motor noise I've ever heard. Your description fits it perfectly.
I shrugged my shoulders and waited to see if it would be a problem. I've had hundreds of flights without any issues other than overall freaky behavior when float flyng, but that a water thing.
I seldom hear the noise anymore, and I'm not sure if that's me just not noticing, or if the CC does it less. One very quiet day recently I noticed it, and thought "haven't heard that in a while."
Bottom line...I wouldn't worry about it.
doug.wagner is offline Find More Posts by doug.wagner
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
485 Posts
Strange thing - prop is still balanced as I left it, and there is no noticeable out of alignment of the prop or wobble or looseness in the shaft, yet, since the accident, there's slightly more vibration even to the point that at mid throttle the aileron servos have a slight wiggle- much less than with the original unbalanced prop though - and that's where the whistle noise is as well. Maybe the re-glueing of the broken fuse has had an effect on harmonics?

I think it will have to be left and just flown. My attitude is different now that it no longer looks new. Actually, maybe now it can be enjoyed even more without the background worry over damage - if things happen - no big deal.

Yesterday we had very heavy wet snow - in 40 degree temps the plane couldn't even get up enough speed to take off. Anybody else experience that?
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:34 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Strange thing - prop is still balanced as I left it, and there is no noticeable out of alignment of the prop or wobble or looseness in the shaft, yet, since the accident, there's slightly more vibration even to the point that at mid throttle the aileron servos have a slight wiggle- much less than with the original unbalanced prop though - and that's where the whistle noise is as well. Maybe the re-glueing of the broken fuse has had an effect on harmonics?

I think it will have to be left and just flown. My attitude is different now that it no longer looks new. Actually, maybe now it can be enjoyed even more without the background worry over damage - if things happen - no big deal.

Yesterday we had very heavy wet snow - in 40 degree temps the plane couldn't even get up enough speed to take off. Anybody else experience that?
I have a hard time seeing this airplane not having enough thrust to take off from honey, so my hunch is there is something wrong somewhere. Check that blade tracking is aligned, and that the pitch of the blades looks the same.

If you had an optical tach, this would be pretty easy to diagnose.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
I have a hard time seeing this airplane not having enough thrust to take off from honey, so my hunch is there is something wrong somewhere. Check that blade tracking is aligned, and that the pitch of the blades looks the same.

If you had an optical tach, this would be pretty easy to diagnose.
Blade tracking and pitch are good. A tach would be handy to diagnose the motor - might get one.

It did fly the day before but take off was on slippery snow.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:35 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,367 Posts
Floats are in, I will pick them up tomorrow. mot to sound like a whiner, but does anybody else notice the motor sounds a little "crunchy" like if I flip it with my finger it has a grunt that happens per revolution? I'm assuming that's part of the noisy motor thing. It's just ever since purchase I've wondered why I can hear each revolution. She has about three flights, so hopefully it breaks in and goes away.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:04 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,338 Posts
Crashed my cub today. Flying indoors (chaotic place). Did a loop, saw what I thought was a quadcopter (it was really a lit up vapor), and drove into the ground while watching the "quad"....double idiot move on my part (flying at the chaotic indoor golf dome was the first)

Anyway replace a wing on this? Is it hard?
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:29 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Anyway replace a wing on this? Is it hard?
If it's the most common break, 'snapped at the root,' no replacement necessary. Just CA it back on, with struts also attached to help arrange the alignment, and it'll be fine.

Actually any other wing break is rarely a deal breaker either - after a repair CA is stronger than foam.

Review all the strut mounts too because they can loosen/fracture.

My wings have been off about 3 or 4x (I like to hotdog a lot) and another I know of has been through about the same, and they still fly just fine.

CA though, wipe off excess because I think extra bumps can actually affect flight. Didn't happen to me but other CC had gobs of it and he was complaining about it handling differently. I dremeled off the excelled and that seemed to fix the odd handling.

'Dremeled' is a verb, isn't it?
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:31 AM
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
900 Posts
Quote:
I assume you're not plopping the plane into 3 inches of slush, and expecting it to crawl out!
I've been flying all winter (at least when the wind calms down), and I haven't sensed a lack of power ever!
The temp rarely gets above freezing, but I keep the batteries in my pocket, close to body temp until I use them.
doug.wagner is offline Find More Posts by doug.wagner
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:45 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
If it's the most common break, 'snapped at the root,' no replacement necessary. Just CA it back on, with struts also attached to help arrange the alignment, and it'll be fine.

Actually any other wing break is rarely a deal breaker either - after a repair CA is stronger than foam.

Review all the strut mounts too because they can loosen/fracture.

My wings have been off about 3 or 4x (I like to hotdog a lot) and another I know of has been through about the same, and they still fly just fine.

CA though, wipe off excess because I think extra bumps can actually affect flight. Didn't happen to me but other CC had gobs of it and he was complaining about it handling differently. I dremeled off the excelled and that seemed to fix the odd handling.

'Dremeled' is a verb, isn't it?
one important note for those not experienced in foam repairs - only use "FOAM SAFE CA", otherwise it will make things worse... much worse!
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
401 Posts
The 325mAh Thunder Power battery with the UMX connector is now made as Generation 8 with a continuous discharge rating of 70C!
They also have a G8 Pro Lite Plus 250mAh/25C battery now.
The Generation 8 batteries have 10% more power, 10% less size and 5% less weight than previous batteries. They last longer for more cycles and can be charged faster.
They claim that some of them cost less than previous batteries.

The Canadian distributor claims that ALL G6 batteries are on sale now but they still have the same prices as the G8 batteries.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:32 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
one important note for those not experienced in foam repairs - only use "FOAM SAFE CA", otherwise it will make things worse... much worse!
well... if not worse, maybe half an inch shorter
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Mar 02, 2013, 03:45 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
well... if not worse, maybe half an inch shorter