HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard View Post
Just read about 1,000 posts and I love the BNF planes. Problem is all my radio gear is Hitec 2.4. Wish there was an AnyLink!

How practical is it to replace the receiver?
Is the AS3X tied to the receiver in a way that would make retrofit impossible?
Would a cheap Turnigy transmitter work with these planes?
Any other solutions short of Spectrum purchase?

Thanks.
1) AS3X is integrated into the brick along with the rx, ESC, and rudder & elevator servos. If you replace the rx, you will also need to add an ESC and rudder/elevator servos. Also, the linear servos are 4.2V. You may also need to replace the aileron servos with 4.8V versions.

2) There is no way of replacing the receiver & keeping AS3X.

3) You must use a transmitter that transmits the Spektrum DSM2/X protocol. Nothing else will work.

4) The flaps are on CH 5, which is the gear channel. To realize the full potential of this plane, minimum requirement is a 5-channel Spektrum DSM2-compatible tx with 1024-step resolution that can be configured for three-position flaps - retracted, partial, and full flaps. Unfortunately, Spektrum's 5-channel tx can't be set up for three-position flaps.

If you're using an older module-based Hitec tx (not the Aurora 9), you could use the Spektrum DM8 module for Futaba module-based rigs, given that they use the same form-factor, pinout, and voltages. If not, you'll need a Spektrum DSM2-compatible tx.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:05 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
254 Posts
Thanks turboparker. You've covered this completely. Neither of my transmitters are external module based. Hammer22 in New Hampshire is working on a device that will connect via the trainer port but the cost is $95. I might as well get a used DX6i.
Thanks again.
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:11 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,988 Posts
I got my CC back together this afternoon!!!...I put in a test flight as the sun was setting and was hoping for calmer winds @ sunset but no dice...A cold front just came through and the winds are now out of the north @ 15mph with slightly higher gusts...(The high tomorrow is in the mid 30's which is waaaaaay below normal for down here in the south...Snow flurries are also in the forecast)...

The takeoff was uneventfull and after getting the plane about 75' up I pointed her into the wind...Without any turbulence from the houses the CC was ROCK STABLE in the wind...I easily hovered the CC and had to apply 1/2 throttle or more to get the plane into forward flight...I'm VERY happy with the flight characteristics in the wind!!!...

This was also my first flight with Babbel Batts new TP 325mAh 65C battery...I didn't get any RPM #'s vs a stock battery but to the ear the RPM increase was very noticeable!!!...

Hope to get in more flights over the cold weekend...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:30 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,172 Posts
Mine flips and flops all over in the wind because the field I fly in creates a lot of turbulence, and the winds here in central Florida are anything but consistent. I've flown where I took off into the wind from the west and landed 6 minutes later into the wind from the east
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:11 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
My apologies, I really hate to derail threads but can I just ask: if this is a reference to racing, where is a good dirt track in our area?? Is the Volusia cty speedway dirt?
Nope I've never been there but yep zoom in on this google maps link - it's clearly old school. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=volus...dway+park&z=18
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:29 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,768 Posts
Put two more packs through mine at the football field under the lights tonight. The wind was 3 mph gusting to 10 and variable...the plane did alright, but the wind was so erratic, that I decided to call it quits. Lots of chop in the air. Not to mention that it was rather cold and my fingers could only take so much.

I am not happy with how flimsy the rudder is. I think I will make my own out of balsa using the original as a template. The stock radio does the job ok..but I think I might put in some traditional sub micro servos in the future. I also intend to use this cowl and a repaint the plane to make it into a PA-18.
http://www.guillow.com/303cowl.aspx

-Cub
Cubcrazy is offline Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:38 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,416 Posts
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=volus...dway+park&z=18

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
Ah, yes indeed, need to protect copyrights and trade secrets - if they get on the internet you can never tell who might profit from them.
The Nail and the Brush - I give credit where its due if they ask for it. Since I'd gone through that trouble I tossed in the CC pic too. The Nail and Brush sources are professionals who give some stuff away for free if credit is given. It's a kind of free advertising. The Nail I edited for my use because it -specifically- said 'do anything you want with it.'

I've had enough of my own stuff stolen, misappropriated and plagiarised.

I once got a snailmail LETTER in the MAIL from a LAWYER that said 'you used a three word phrase 'alpha beta gamma' in your website (not those words - I will not type the actual words here) which are trademarked by a company and is in fact their name.' It's also the name of the website such as alphabetagamma.com. Now they're three *very* common words which a million people use in common speech every day, maybe not in that exact order. (Technically -I- didn't put the words in the website the text twas user-submitted text, but I was responsible for it anyway because I owned the domain.) So I asked him 'how about if I changed it to 'alpha delta zeta' and he said sure that's fine as long as it isn't those three words in that order. That lawyers job was apparently to scope the whole net forever looking for used of that phrase. [sight]

Quote:
The reason for strapping around the wing is to avoid fin damage but that was the general idea in mind - this is only the attachment to plane - there are other considerations.
It's seemingly fairly trivial but it -is- critical that it 1) not damage the plane and 2) be *repeatable*. Where the tether actually wraps around the fin you could patch in a piece of cloth or felt or spongy foam.

Tethering to the wing, I'd tend to not trust it from safety and accuracy/repeatability standpoints. Especially with a high wing I think it might be -not- impossible for prop blast to get under the h-stab/elevator and push it up. If it pushes hard enough or bounces the plane around it might be not impossible to flip the plane over forward. 99.9% impossible but never know what trick physics might pull. The LE of the wing is after all in front of the CG. Or, if the prop blast -does- create any turbulence on the tail it might move things enough around enough to affect the thrust applied to the scale. More stable is more better.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:46 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
so... it seems to me there is a very obvious attachment point, and yet it has gone unmentioned

don't we already have a tow "hook"? Just tie string to it, and over a pulley (or low friction bar) on the corner of a table and down to a weight on a scale. As you apply throttle the airplane pulls up on the weight, reducing the reading on the scale by the thrust amount.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:53 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard View Post
Just read about 1,000 posts and I love the BNF planes. Problem is all my radio gear is Hitec 2.4. Wish there was an AnyLink!

How practical is it to replace the receiver?
Is the AS3X tied to the receiver in a way that would make retrofit impossible?
Would a cheap Turnigy transmitter work with these planes?
Any other solutions short of Spectrum purchase?

Thanks.
OrangeRx T-SIX 2.4GHz DSM2 6CH Programmable Transmitter w/10 Model Memory

or

Turnigy 9XR Transmitter Mode 2 (No Module)

or

Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter without Module (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware)

OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible)

I'd choose the 9XR, but its a complicated beast of a thing
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 16, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:10 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Im going to buy one of these Carbon Cubs on monday

I have a few quick questions:

How long should I set my timer for with the stock battery?

What the flaps are on the gear channel? So I take it that they use the reversed 2nd channel for the dual ailerons? Has any one put them on a Y harness yet so the flaps work with the flap switch (DX6i)?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:40 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post

What the flaps are on the gear channel? So I take it that they use the reversed 2nd channel for the dual ailerons? Has any one put them on a Y harness yet so the flaps work with the flap switch (DX6i)?
valiantGLX,

Welcome to the CC club!

HH put the flaps on the gear channel so that people with 5-channel rigs can still use the flaps. You can program the brick for 6-channel mode, use an external Y the ailerons, and put the flaps on CH 6.

Flight-time with this plane is heavily dependent upon the pilot's use of throttle-management, because the plane can fly around at anywhere from 1/3-throttle or less to WOT. The manual recommends an initial 4-minute flight. Fly a 4-minute flight & see how many mAh it takes to recharge. Calculate the depth-of-discharge, then set your timer so that you land before the 80% discharge point.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:09 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post

I personally get 7 min on a 180mAh pack, however as Joel said it is all about flying style.

If all you want to do is use the flaps switch on the dx6i, All you'd have to do is use a mix. I use a mix and the Mix+Flaps switches to get 3 position flaps, which REALLY HELPS by the way, on my dx6i. I've posted it a bunch of times here on the thread. If you need I'll search and link it.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:01 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
is there a ready made y-harness available for this size servo plug? I'd like to do what joel mentions just so i can use the gear switch for as3x on/off (once i finally get that darn spektrum programmer!)
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:04 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I personally get 7 min on a 180mAh pack, however as Joel said it is all about flying style.

If all you want to do is use the flaps switch on the dx6i, All you'd have to do is use a mix. I use a mix and the Mix+Flaps switches to get 3 position flaps, which REALLY HELPS by the way, on my dx6i. I've posted it a bunch of times here on the thread. If you need I'll search and link it.

-Brian
Thats a good idea, but I want 3 position flaps and flap/elevator mixing. As you know the DX6i has only 2 mixes, so I'll need to free up the proper flap channel. I'll probably need to reverse a servo too right?

Flap/elevator mixing may not be necessary, but I'd like to experiment. Like we discussed in the Beast 3D Thread

Thanks for posting your flight time, I wont fly this one at full throttle all the time, rather I just want a lazy sunday flyer for low and slow flying. I think I'll go for 5 minutes, then after 5 minutes I'll bring it in to land. Then I'll test the battery to see if I can push it a bit furher (thanks for your advice to turboparker)
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 16, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:09 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
is there a ready made y-harness available for this size servo plug? I'd like to do what joel mentions just so i can use the gear switch for as3x on/off (once i finally get that darn spektrum programmer!)
Not sure about a ready made y harness, I was going to make my own

I dont think you can remotely switch the the AS3X off even with the programer. I have one, but Ive only tested it with 1s AS3X bricks. In fact you cant even switch the AS3X off period. However I found a work around, if you set your computers region to Germany while programming the brick it temporarily corrupts the model config file disabling the AS3X. To turn it back on just change your computers region back and reprogram the brick again.