Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:22 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
I am NOT a 12 o'clock blinker

Yes they were carefully aligned and then taped together to ensure everything was aligned properly (and not by just levelling the bases, as one of them always has some flash on it).

The plastic on all 4 pieces is identical in size. It is either a matter of how deep the wires were inserted during manufacture, or just the location they were bent. It's the same difference either way I suppose, just a matter of manufacturing method.
Very nice.... again sorry if I offended. A lot of times the answer to "Is it plugged in and turned on" winds up being.... ummmmm...... oops.

Mine cranked to the left, so I'll be checking out your tip later this evening. I think I may have adjusted it out with the u bends on the left and right ailerons but if they're now uneven I don't know if that's a good thing either.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:40 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Very nice.... again sorry if I offended. A lot of times the answer to "Is it plugged in and turned on" winds up being.... ummmmm...... oops.

Mine cranked to the left, so I'll be checking out your tip later this evening. I think I may have adjusted it out with the u bends on the left and right ailerons but if they're now uneven I don't know if that's a good thing either.
Wait, you mean it has to be plugged in for me to use it!? I actually had an aunt ask me once, while teaching her to use her VCR, "do I have to turn it on first?" I'm not remotely joking, and that was the most tedious 30 minutes of my life

No worries and no offence taken, I understand completely!

I'm no aeronautics expert, but I figure if the ailerons have to be well off center for level flight then they're contributing some drag and thus shortening your flight time. Is it by 0:01 or 1:00, I have no idea.

For reference, it required 17 clicks of right aileron trim to get the bird to fly straight the way it came out of the box. The replacement struts, which I haven't bothered mounting, look like they would require even more.

I do recommend calling Horizon first to let them know. They will most likely send you a replacement wing/strut kit, and that way if you end up breaking one of the wires on the strut while trying to rebend it, you're not out $30 for a new wing kit. Plus, I think it's important that they get these calls so they grasp the poor state of their QC these days. A simple part like the strut shouldn't be difficult to make to the correct dimensions.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:43 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
HF,

Great info! I had not thought of that possibility until you mentioned it awhile back. I will add that info to my CC handling checklist. Thanks for sharing!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:47 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
HF,

Great info! I had not thought of that possibility until you mentioned it awhile back. I will add that info to my CC handling checklist. Thanks for sharing!

Joel
I'm just happy to contribute! Since it's been so long and I'm the first one that seems to have brought it up, I have a feeling this is a recent mfg flaw that has surfaced. I guess this is one place you early adopters lucked out.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:19 PM
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Hot Rats -- for the musicianship

Fillmore East June 1971 -- for the depravity

Sheik Yerbouti is the one I go to for pure pleasure. Jewish Princess, and Dancing Fool still make me laugh when I hear them.
A Zappa concert was the only concert I ever passed out at. Woke up to a circle of faces looking down at me saying "You OK, man".
Ya, I think I had a good time!
doug.wagner is offline Find More Posts by doug.wagner
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:40 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Wow. Never thought I'd run into so many fellow FZ fans on an RCG thread! I have all of the albums mentioned so far, plus a few more. I love 'em all! I lost count, but I have around 20 FZ albums, and I'm adding more to my collection. Did you guys know that Frank experimented with surround-sound back in the 70s? He mixed a number of his albums for surround, but there wasn't a viable format so they were never released. He had his own 6-channel system at home way back then, so he was the only one who got to hear them that way. Until recently.... QuAUDIOPHILIAc was Frank's first 5.1 album. It was supposed to be the first of a series of 5.1 releases. He produced it, and Dweezil finished it.

I got into high-def audio a few years ago & put together a 24 bit/192k 5.1 surround critical listening system. I've been slowly but surely building a library of albums in the high-resolution SACD & DVD-Audio DC-100kHz formats. I picked up Halloween (recorded live at the Palladium in '78) and QuAUDIOPHILIAc on DVD-A 5.1 surround. Wow! It's amazing what is actually on those DC to 50 kHz master tapes! At 24/192k, you get every last bit of it with nothing in the way to muck things up. I hope the Zappa Foundation releases more of his surround-sound work. It is absolutely amazing to hear the full bandwidth & dynamic range of the master-tapes without compression or anything else getting in the way.

And now....back to your regularly-scheduled CC & other banter... (While I spin-up Bongo Fury.....)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 13, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
'Round off the screw.' Duh. And the 'soft' comment.' Dubble-Duh. CCC Cheap Chinese Crap. When I go into Lowes or Home Depot, once in a while I go to the hardware area. I pick uo a couple 10-packs of (alleged) '1/4" brass wood screws.' I bring them over to customer service. I show them: There are 4 'screws' in this package. There are 3 or 4 (or 4 or 3) pieces of metal that have some vaguely spiral looking metal. Those, you can tell it's 'almost' a screw. And there are 4 or 3 (or 3 or 4 depending on the previous 3 or 4) pieces of metal that have a spiral shaped kinda 'line' wrapped around the screw. You can just barely see the line. Customer service says 'Oh, I'll pass that on to look into it.

Obviously the factory has machines that turn out a few screws, and a *LOT* of crap. The numbers *cannot* be an accident, because every bag is exactly the same. They *have* to *deliberately* put four screws, 3 or 4 almost-screws, and 3 or 4 'chunks of metal' into each bag.

And the reason they get away with it is that no one needs '10 1/4" brass wood screws.' All they need are 2 or 4, so it's no problem to throw away the rest. Or if they do need a couple more it's no big deal to buy another package because they're 'cheap.'

An no one at the factory, or the Big Box Inspection Department gives a rats ass about anything.

/rant [sigh]
Not exactly sure how to interpret your post - yes, mistakes are made, and too many people don't care but if they do get complaints they will start to do a better job of QC.

There have been issues with the past 3 planes I bought except for the latest - the Archer. I like all of my planes and once the issues are sorted out they are just fine.
As habitforming said - "I think it's important that they get these calls so they grasp the poor state of their QC these days".

But anyway - were my comments in post #5764 about the GWS 5030 prop compared to the 5x2.75 original off-base or did they have value?
I flew the CC today with the 5030 but the wind made it difficult to tell if there was any real difference in flight.
Joel's testing indicated there should be, at full throttle I suppose.
So far I haven't used anything but E-Flight's 180 and 200 batteries.

BTW Joel - hope my complaining about QC didn't prompt your comment about "bad apples".
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined May 2012
8,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
Not exactly sure how to interpret your post - yes, mistakes are made, and too many people don't care but if they do get complaints they will start to do a better job of QC.

There have been issues with the past 3 planes I bought except for the latest - the Archer. I like all of my planes and once the issues are sorted out they are just fine.
As habitforming said - "I think it's important that they get these calls so they grasp the poor state of their QC these days".

But anyway - were my comments in post #5764 about the GWS 5030 prop compared to the 5x2.75 original off-base or did they have value?
I flew the CC today with the 5030 but the wind made it difficult to tell if there was any real difference in flight.
Joel's testing indicated there should be, at full throttle I suppose.
So far I haven't used anything but E-Flight's 180 and 200 batteries.

BTW Joel - hope my complaining about QC didn't prompt your comment about "bad apples".
His post wasn't about Carbon Cub or Horizon Hobby in particular, it was commentary on the current trend of stores to carry ridiculously cheap, poorly constructed products from Chinese suppliers where the quality control is nearly non existent, half the samples you find are junk, and we just accept it because it's so cheap.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:27 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
......BTW Joel - hope my complaining about QC didn't prompt your comment about "bad apples".
Not at all! I was referring to the few who usually end up getting themselves suspended or banned for showing up just to be jerks & cause trouble, rather than being nice to others and contributing to the knowledge base by posting honest questions, answers, and experiences.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
His post wasn't about Carbon Cub or Horizon Hobby in particular, it was commentary on the current trend of stores to carry ridiculously cheap, poorly constructed products from Chinese suppliers where the quality control is nearly non existent, half the samples you find are junk, and we just accept it because it's so cheap.
OK, but it was in reference to the wing struts from HH. I guess he can clarify that.

Is talking about QC a no-no? I would think it was a pretty critical issue - both for the buyers and sellers.
I don't want to make too much of this since I like HH's products which are what I mostly buy and use. They must be aware of QC issues since they do offer after purchase support which is excellent - something that I too have experienced -and are most likely trying to correct problems as they arise.
Anyway, it all gets sorted out one way or another.

But what about the prop comments?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
Not at all! I was referring to the few who usually end up getting themselves suspended or banned for showing up just to be jerks & cause trouble, rather than being nice to others and contributing to the knowledge base by posting honest questions, answers, and experiences.

Joel
Thanks Joel - did you read my comments on the props? I would like to know why the GWS is considered the better option.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:24 PM
Joined May 2012
8,768 Posts
Quote:
OK, but it was in reference to the wing struts from HH. I guess he can clarify that.

Is talking about QC a no-no? I would think it was a pretty critical issue - both for the buyers and sellers.
I don't want to make too much of this since I like HH's products which are what I mostly buy and use. They must be aware of QC issues since they do offer after purchase support which is excellent - something that I too have experienced -and are most likely trying to correct problems as they arise.
Anyway, it all gets sorted out one way or another.

But what about the prop comments?
He was just ranting. QC is important and OK to talk about. I think looking through some of these multi-thousand post threads that you'll see there's a point in time where some parkzone and other HH products have had some quality issues, but in all honesty it seems there was a bad batch of products that started the whole complaining campaign. Their support which I've never personally had to use is reportedly excellent and that's more important to me than the original product's issues. For the record, none of my parkzone/eflite micros (I have 5 now somehow....) have ever had a problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
He was just ranting. QC is important and OK to talk about. I think looking through some of these multi-thousand post threads that you'll see there's a point in time where some parkzone and other HH products have had some quality issues, but in all honesty it seems there was a bad batch of products that started the whole complaining campaign. Their support which I've never personally had to use is reportedly excellent and that's more important to me than the original product's issues. For the record, none of my parkzone/eflite micros (I have 5 now somehow....) have ever had a problem.
I have 9 of their planes (micros and larger) and 5 of their helicopters (small and mid range 3D sizes)- so maybe I am a fan of HH.
If there was more room there would be more .

As far as support goes, it is excellent and that is one of the major reasons why I buy their products - they are readily available along with part in local hobby shops. They also have a good variety and they perform well. The only fly-in-the-ointment is the occasional QC gaff - but their support makes up for it.

But - can I get a response to the prop question?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:53 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Joel - did you read my comments on the props? I would like to know why the GWS is considered the better option.
First off - let me clarify something. The plane flies fine with the factory prop. It has more than enough power for anything any sane person would ever want to do with a Cub. For those who appreciate the finer points of an aircraft's handling, there is more to the story. It flies even better with the 5030. The GWS 5030 is simply a better match to the airframe & powerplant. It's more efficient than the factory prop, so you get more thrust and longer flight-times - a win-win. At typical elevations, it develops more thrust at lower airspeed than the factory prop or the 5043, which is better match for a slow-flying airframe like this. However, those who live at high elevations often report better performance with the 5043.

The low-end grunt really comes in handy when flying on floats and/or carrying a payload - especially for short-field operations. It's also very apparent when performing scale Super Cub-style aerobatics such as loops & hammerheads. Higher thrust at lower airspeed means that vertical maneuver entry speeds can be considerably lower. A lower entry speed allows you to perform a more scale-looking maneuver. For instance - when performing a loop, you can still make it big & scale-looking, while also making the plane appear to labor over the top by managing the throttle on the way up.

In contrast - by the time you get the 5043 spooled-up to aerobatic thrust levels, the plane is already flying way too fast to look even the least bit realistic. You see it all the time at club fields, even with larger-scale versions. Cubs screaming by at WOT, flying at nearly warbird speeds, tails high in the air. I call 'em 'turbo-Cubs' - and it's definitely not a compliment.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:16 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,710 Posts
A bunch of Zappa (and other) ringtones http://www.jbarchuk.com/files/ringtones

Quote:
Frank will go down in history as one of the great composers of the 20th century. RIP FZ...
+1 +1 +1 My current ringtone is Ship Ahoy.

Shastamike, in the URL below check out the 'nanook' file.

I was 17 in 1973 the first time I heard 200 Motels - and understood the -meaning- of the work 'epiphany.' Never looked back, obviously.

SHUT UP AND FLY YER AIRPLANE!
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk