Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:55 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Cub,

LiPos are not supposed to be discharged deeper than 80%. Never fly to LVC with any of the UM or UMX aircraft, as it results in a 90-95% discharge. 318 mAh is 90% discharged. Doing that even once typically cause at least some irreversible cell damage.

Joel
I never fly to lvc. Just got carried away having too much fun.
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:27 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Can you take some nice closeup images of the control surface alignment. Also try to get one from the front with the whole plane, and from the back that shows the enpennage alignement.

Bhoov might be on to something as well with the flaps being tweaked.

-Brian
Yes I'm happy to, but threw my back out this afternoon. Will post when able.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:43 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
Yes I'm happy to, but threw my back out this afternoon. Will post when able.
See if you can dig through the garbage can to find it, before the garbage gets taken out to the curb.

Seriously though, Hope you feel better soon. Back issues are not fun.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:31 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I would make a template rib of the undercamber, and instead of increasing the thickness of the wing, make a filler. Sand the 2mm depron to shape to an insert so it slots right in and doesn't increase the thickness of the airfoil, in otherwords. might also want to take the opportunity to embed a thin carbon flat into the filler. Could be awesome!
Yeah I though about that as well. I didn't want a solid wing for weight reasons, but then again even with 1mm depron there might not be enough under camber to allow for ribs and a bottom skin.
I also agree I don't want to increase the wing thickness.

The UM T-28 is the test bed for this as it has a much more aggressive undercamber and it's old and beat up.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:52 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I never fly to lvc. Just got carried away having too much fun.
OK. Just making sure, as a fair number of people who show up on these UM threads are not familiar with the 80% rule. Yeah - the CC is just so much fun to fly, it's easy to get carried away. That's why I usually fly with my TP 325 65c packs or my Hyp 400 & 500 35c packs. I call the Hyp 500 the 'bladder-buster'. I have yet to fly it to the 80% point.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:32 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
OK. Just making sure, as a fair number of people who show up on these UM threads are not familiar with the 80% rule. Yeah - the CC is just so much fun to fly, it's easy to get carried away. That's why I usually fly with my TP 325 65c packs or my Hyp 400 & 500 35c packs. I call the Hyp 500 the 'bladder-buster'. I have yet to fly it to the 80% point.

Joel
I have been flying exclusively electric since 2006...many years of gas and slimer before that. Lipo batts can last a very long time if you treat them right. This cub had me grinning like the first time I put a Lipo /brushless setup in my HZ Super Cub years ago.

Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:05 AM
Joined May 2012
8,780 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I though about that as well. I didn't want a solid wing for weight reasons, but then again even with 1mm depron there might not be enough under camber to allow for ribs and a bottom skin.
I also agree I don't want to increase the wing thickness.

The UM T-28 is the test bed for this as it has a much more aggressive undercamber and it's old and beat up.

-Brian
Try just a wrapping of packing tape then, it adds very very little weight. I don't know if you visit the scratchbuild forum (my home away from home ) but colored packing tape is a very popular way to "paint" an airplane and it adds something like 7g per square FOOT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:46 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Try just a wrapping of packing tape then, it adds very very little weight. I don't know if you visit the scratchbuild forum (my home away from home ) but colored packing tape is a very popular way to "paint" an airplane and it adds something like 7g per square FOOT.
That would work, I could still use depron to make ribs and then "cover" with packing tape. What is a good source for lightweight colored packing tape?
On the T-28 I'm aiming for a 23xxx shaped airfoil as I don't want a flat bottom.
Interestingly enough the real cub has a very slight undercamber to its wing.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:08 PM
Joined May 2012
8,780 Posts
Quote:
That would work, I could still use depron to make ribs and then "cover" with packing tape. What is a good source for lightweight colored packing tape?
On the T-28 I'm aiming for a 23xxx shaped airfoil as I don't want a flat bottom.
Interestingly enough the real cub has a very slight undercamber to its wing.

-Brian
I know some people special-order colored packing tape from Staples.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:39 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
This is super low tech, but could you just use a regular sheet of printer paper for your initail test? You'd still need the depron ribs, but this seems super quick & easy, not to mention easy to undo/redo

I thought about doing this several years back on a Citabria that I had, but never got around to it. The undercamber micros don't do well around here, as we always have some wind.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:18 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,919 Posts
Guys, use trim sheet. That's what it's for (coloring, not structural). It won't weigh even close to 7g per foot.

http://www.greathobbies.com/search/r...g=0&srchcat=LT

Create brilliant designs and color schemes with Top Flite Trim Sheets. They’re adhesive backed for easy application and Top Flite offers a great selection of colors and effects including checkerboard! Colors match Top Flite MonoKote covering. Trim sheets are 5" x 36" and are sold individually.

North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Feb 06, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:23 PM
Joined May 2012
8,780 Posts
Seems like a good product, do you think it might flex too much, and just restore the undercamber to the wing? Packing tape is pretty tough stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:26 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Seems like a good product, do you think it might flex too much, and just restore the undercamber to the wing? Packing tape is pretty tough stuff.
I thought you guys were just talking about coloring until I read on. It's not really for structural application like Monokote, Ultracote etc. It's super thin and light weight, though... basically sticky backed decal like the fake windows and striping on the Hobbyzone planes. But maybe you could apply it after taping (or before taping) and then you wouldn't have to worry about finding colored tape. The Topflite trim sheets are only 3 bucks (5" x 36" )... I just bought some more yesterday.

EDIT
or just use proper coverings like Monokote, Ultracote etc.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Feb 06, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined May 2012
8,780 Posts
ultracote and monokote will need heat to activate the glue and apply... very very tricky with melty foam.

Now for some questions: 1. Is anyone else's CC out of the box pretty stinkin' tail heavy? I have mine flying pretty well and I'm really enjoying it but it's still tail heavy, only with my 300mAh nano-techs does it feel a little bit better. My elevator is even and not warped.
2. How much of a difference does the GWS 5030 make over the stock prop? I don't need to know thrust gram figures, just seat-of-the-pants reactions from those who have changed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:54 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,919 Posts
Quote:
ultracote and monokote will need heat to activate the glue and apply... very very tricky with melty foam.
Here ya go...

9-Covering the Wing Top - Building HZ Super Cub from Scratch (9 min 32 sec)

8-Covering the Wing Bottom - Building HZ Super Cub from Scratch (9 min 33 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Feb 06, 2013 at 05:02 PM.