SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:28 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
That's interesting, as I finally was able to fly mine for the second time today, and even though I straightened the rudder (which initially had a left curl), it still rolls aggressively to the left (hands off for 3 sec isn't possible). I trimmed in flight, numerous clicks of right ridder and aileron. Winds are gusty and choppy as I fly in a subdivision, so precise trimming isn't possible, but that was almost flying straight. I've now had the same behavior with both the floats and the wheels.

After landing I removed the battery with the trims still in place. The rudder is noticeably to the right, with the leading edge 2mm left of the horizontal stabilizer. The left aileron is down 0.5 mm, and the right is up 1 mm. To me, this is all drastically off from what I expect.

There is visible right and down thrust on the motor, as expected. The wings and empennage all seem level and square. I checked the cg before each flight with a homemade stand. Running out of ideas!
Can you take some nice closeup images of the control surface alignment. Also try to get one from the front with the whole plane, and from the back that shows the enpennage alignement.

Bhoov might be on to something as well with the flaps being tweaked.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:27 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,026 Posts
I have a version 2 CC. I am using an old first run dx6i. The radio has never given any troubles at all. Problem: it will not hold a model memory bind to my CC. I have to rebind everytime I change batteries. I have a DX8, but not currently at my disposal. Does the CC brick prefer a dsmx Tx.
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:27 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,259 Posts
Make sure the tx is at least five feet from the plane and not blocked by anything when you plug in the battery, and that the tx has been on for more than a few seconds.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:56 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Can you take some nice closeup images of the control surface alignment. Also try to get one from the front with the whole plane, and from the back that shows the enpennage alignement.

Bhoov might be on to something as well with the flaps being tweaked.

-Brian
I tweaked the flaps and it seemed better. Still rolling to the left a slight bit. It's not great in the wind, but it does definitely behave much better with AS3X than I imagine it would without. I'm going to adjust the ails once more a tiny bit and go out again for a few more batteries. Damn, I need a charger with an octopus cable now! I'm completely in love with this little bugger!
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:11 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Make sure the tx is at least five feet from the plane and not blocked by anything when you plug in the battery, and that the tx has been on for more than a few seconds.
I have found that if I install the battery a few times in a row..it eventually connects. You are right about the 5 ft rule. It is difficult to do when flying by myself with my Tx around my neck...and the plane in my hands.

-Cub
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:38 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,541 Posts
Strange. I have an older DX6i but I've never had to do the 5 foot separation thing with any of my planes.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:59 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Oh gawd, don't say the AS3X is "fighting" you....that's sacrilege on this thread...!

But don't worry; I felt the same way. I guess I just don't know how to fly....
Funny!!!...I failed to report that after the prop change the model no longer had a "mind of its own"...After re-installing the stock prop I ran the motor up to see what was going on...All of the control surfaces were slightly oscillating, esecially the ailerons...Which only makes sense as any vibrations are amplified the further you get away from the center axis of the plane, with the aileron servos feeling the brunt of the vibrations...

Now, with the balanced prop, the plane is almost as stable in the wind as my other AS3X siblings...But due to the large plank wing, undercambered airfiol, and the lack of much dihedral the CC will never be as stable as my Beast, MiG, and Sbach hotrods in gusty winds...It's just the nature of the plane...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
I made this video this evening of the CC's 6th flight...I flew it in my back yard around many obstacles....I still need to move the camera lower to get the entire flight in frame...Watch in HD!!!

Kevin

Carbon Cub 6th flight (5 min 47 sec)
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 06, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:14 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I have a version 2 CC. I am using an old first run dx6i. The radio has never given any troubles at all. Problem: it will not hold a model memory bind to my CC. I have to rebind everytime I change batteries. I have a DX8, but not currently at my disposal. Does the CC brick prefer a dsmx Tx.
Yes the new AS3X bricks so seem to prefer the dsmx TXs. As was mentioned you shouldn't have to rebind, just unplug and replug the battery. Also if you are having trouble keep the TX on the other side of you that way the signal has to bonce around and doesn't swamp the rx.

-Brian
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
.........Oh and btw... Joel... I have a deep respect now for your piloting abilities! One wheel dragging touch-and-goes? I was lucky I could put it down consistently on the dirt road runway. A couple times I was hitting LVC while I was still sorting out the timer and I wasn't in a position to land so I flew it over my head and ran under it to catch it!

......Last night I had a thought that I haven't checked out - maybe the flaps are misaligned a touch and acting as ailerons. I'm charging a bunch of batteries now and I'm going back through turboparker's CC setup post. We'll see how it goes!
Bhoov,

Thanks for the compliment! BTW - the flaps on my V1 drooped a bit when retracted, and one was slightly lower than the other. I lined them up with the TE of the wing root before the maiden. Definitely something to check on all CCs. Also, check the entire TE of the wing. The outboard edge of the ailerons should line up with the TE near the wingtip, the inboard edge of the flaps should line up with the TE at the root, and the ailerons & flaps should line up in the middle. Hold the plane nose-down & sight down the TE of each wing. It should be straight as a ruler from the tip to the root. If not, one of the control surfaces is most likely warped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
...All of the control surfaces were slightly oscillating, especially the ailerons...Which only makes sense as any vibrations are amplified the further you get away from the center axis of the plane, with the aileron servos feeling the brunt of the vibrations...

Now, with the balanced prop, the plane is almost as stable in the wind as my other AS3X siblings...But due to the large plank wing, undercambered airfiol, and the lack of much dihedral the CC will never be as stable as my Beast, MiG, and Sbach hotrods in gusty winds...It's just the nature of the plane...

Kevin
Kevin,

It also explains why the 24" span CC is even more sensitive to prop imbalance than the Beast & Sbach. Regarding the wing - I've been preaching the ills of undercambered airfoils on these UMs since the UM P-51 came out. A uc wing is just not right on a fighter, and I've often wished they'd have used a Cub airfoil on the CC. But then the CC wouldn't be as much fun to fly low & slow, and it would need more room indoors. However, they could have used Fowler flaps with a scale airfoil, which would probably compensate for the faster wing. As the saying goes - engineering is the art of compromise.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 05, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:31 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,026 Posts
I flew a 350 mah pack tonight for almost 30 minutes of mixed flying. Insanely long duration at cruising throttle. I put her through all the paces including snap rolls..loops..knife-edge..etc. I am very impressed with this plane. Probably gonna be my new 'keep in the car" plane. Batteries charge at 1.5 amps in about 10 minutes. Running down to LVC..I put about 318 mah back in. I have to plug in the battery about 3 times before it will connect. I guess that's not so bad. I will have my DX8 available in the next couple days. (I am out-of-town)

-Cub
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
599 Posts
I accidentally found out what it was like flying the CC in 10 mph winds without affective AS3X.
When installing the battery the plane was moving around so the gyros probably didn't initialize properly. The result was the plane feeling more like other little UMs in wind without the gyros.

Second battery was flying with effectively working AS3X - very different - stable with no wing rock whereas they did rock on the first flight and required more attention to the controls.
Smooth and calm is better than jittery any day. AS3X doesn't rock - that's not right, I mean it does rock - well, it rocks but it doesn't rock

When the weather cooperates this little gem gets to play, and I get to learn.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:22 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Cub,

LiPos are not supposed to be discharged deeper than 80%. Never fly to LVC with any of the UM or UMX aircraft, as it results in a 90-95% discharge. 318 mAh is 90% discharged. Doing that even once typically cause at least some irreversible cell damage.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:45 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Regarding the wing - I've been preaching the ills of undercambered airfoils on these UMs since the UM P-51 came out. A uc wing is just not right on a fighter, and I've often wished they'd have used a Cub airfoil on the CC. But then the CC wouldn't be as much fun to fly low & slow, and it would need more room indoors. However, they could have used Fowler flaps with a scale airfoil, which would probably compensate for the faster wing. As the saying goes - engineering is the art of compromise.

Joel
You know I've been thinking of getting some 1or2mm depron and making my UM T-28 a true airfoil. I might throw on one the CC as well. Should be insanely easy with a non tapering cub wing. Just make 4-6 ribs per side out of the depron then lay the sheet along the bottom. Glue, sand and fly.
The Fowler flaps that would be insanely easy to do with the way the one servo is mounted. Just switch out that huge lever with a bar between the flaps. Then mount the flaps on a small balsa guide on each side. At this tiny scale you'd probably only need a tiny pin on the rear of the flaps on the inside as I doubt there would be enough force to require it on both sides. This would make the install cleaner. hmmm I might have to try this.

-Brian
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:39 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
You know I've been thinking of getting some 1or2mm depron and making my UM T-28 a true airfoil. I might throw on one the CC as well. Should be insanely easy with a non tapering cub wing. Just make 4-6 ribs per side out of the depron then lay the sheet along the bottom. Glue, sand and fly.
The Fowler flaps that would be insanely easy to do with the way the one servo is mounted. Just switch out that huge lever with a bar between the flaps. Then mount the flaps on a small balsa guide on each side. At this tiny scale you'd probably only need a tiny pin on the rear of the flaps on the inside as I doubt there would be enough force to require it on both sides. This would make the install cleaner. hmmm I might have to try this.

-Brian
I would make a template rib of the undercamber, and instead of increasing the thickness of the wing, make a filler. Sand the 2mm depron to shape to an insert so it slots right in and doesn't increase the thickness of the airfoil, in otherwords. might also want to take the opportunity to embed a thin carbon flat into the filler. Could be awesome!
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick