HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoney97lgt View Post
So I got some batteries ordered. I know everyone said to stay away from the 180 nanotech but. The US warehouse doesn't have the 260, so I ordered 2 of the 180s and one Hyperion 240. Should have em all by Wednesday. Hoping to maiden on the stock eflite battery tomorrow if the weather holds, really hoping it does, this thing just keeps screaming at me to be flown.

Also I jeep hearing of using a delay on the flaps. I've never used flaps before and was just curious what kind of delay I should program in. I believe on the dx7s my options are normal and then in second intervals. Also to have the flaps up I had to program it to 100 normal, 50 mid and 0 land. If I reversed the flap servo it just tried overextending no matter what I had programmed in. Just curious if this is normal?

Can't wait to fly this thing for a few packs so I can throw on the floats and do some snow takeoffs. Gonna try and flew her in my courtyard at my apartment complex. Plenty of dry sidewalk for takeoffs and landings, then plenty of snow on the grassy part for float tradeoffs.
I'm using the same transmitter.

My settings are 98 for normal (up), 10 (for mid), and 80 for full down using the flap switch. These avoid hitting limits.
Time delay is 4 seconds but may reduce that.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:15 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined May 2011
111 Posts
Thanks midnite. Just wanted to make sure my settings were at least sorta correct. Probably won't try using the flaps for at least the first few flights. Wanna get down how it flies withou. Before I start messing around with the flaps, haven't flown for a few months.
Gmoney97lgt is offline Find More Posts by Gmoney97lgt
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:46 AM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
I'm using the same transmitter.

My settings are 98 for normal (up), 10 (for mid), and 80 for full down using the flap switch. These avoid hitting limits.
Time delay is 4 seconds but may reduce that.
I use 4sec as well on my DX8.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoney97lgt View Post
Thanks midnite. Just wanted to make sure my settings were at least sorta correct. Probably won't try using the flaps for at least the first few flights. Wanna get down how it flies withou. Before I start messing around with the flaps, haven't flown for a few months.
Just to correct -> it should be -98, -10 or 0, and 80.
You can vary that a bit but it's in the ball park.

Next flight I think I'll remove the mix with the elevator and see how it goes. It's probably not required with the time delay and as long as speed and throttle are reduced there should be no issue. Others aren't using the mix anyway.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:27 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
I just got finished with the third flight on the CC...I did mix the flaps with the elevator and now with flaps down and the slight down elevator mix the plane flies great!!!...To take the flap lowering speed out of the equation I flew around with full flaps for most of the flight...Without the mix the plane would climb...With the mix the plane flew a couple of degrees nose down as I wanted...I executed several landings with the flap elevator mix and I'm very happy!!!

I also installed the wheels/tires from my Mossie for a tundra appearance...The large "tundra" tires look the part....

Another thing---As an FYI this plane is NOT for a beginner even though it is a high wing monoplane...The lack of dihedral keeps the plane from righting itself like the Champ..But I do like the Carbon Cub!!!...Inverted flight didn't take as much down elevator as expected with the undercambered airfoil...Rolls are fairly fast and loops are as large as you would want with the 2S power....Knife edge is on the agenda for the next flight...

Again---With the flaps down I like to have the plane slightly nose down on final...Just as per fullscale....Set up the glide slope and just flare for the landing...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 03, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:49 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined May 2011
111 Posts
Successful maiden today. I was a little twitchy on the sticks since I haven't flown in a while, but it was a good flight. Need to make sure and adjust the cg right next time as I just stuffedthe battery in it, didn't have a ruler to measure it out. Flew good still, just tries to nose up a little bit. Also noticed the rudder was a little off, so gotta adjust that straight too. Just some basic laps around the courtyard with a roll or two and a couple loops, nothing fancy. Should be a great flier once I get her all dialed in. Can't wait for my other batteries so I can fly for more than five minutes at a time. But for now I'm just happy to be back in the air again.
Gmoney97lgt is offline Find More Posts by Gmoney97lgt
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:02 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,358 Posts
"On a Wing and a Prayer"

With well over 150 flights on my V1, I couldn't help but notice how heavy she feels. Tape, Gorilla glue, toothpicks, Popsicle sticks, you name it.
Weighs in at 89 grams. The spec sheet says 90 grams but I don't know if that includes battery.

She's a beater.
She's a daily driver,
She's that 1989 Honda with 300k miles that you're saving for the kids when they learn how to drive.
Nah... She's too good for the kids!
Some Pics:
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:09 AM
Joined May 2012
9,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
With well over 150 flights on my V1, I couldn't help but notice how heavy she feels. Tape, Gorilla glue, toothpicks, Popsicle sticks, you name it.
Weighs in at 89 grams. The spec sheet says 90 grams but I don't know if that includes battery.

She's a beater.
She's a daily driver,
She's that 1989 Honda with 300k miles that you're saving for the kids when they learn how to drive.
Nah... She's too good for the kids!
Some Pics:
Hahaha....holy jeez that is too cool. When your fixes have fixes you know you've got a special relationship with your aircraft. The tape on tape on tape nose made me laugh. If you want a diet, some carbon instead of all that wood might help, but....she's got that je-ne-sais-quoi, that character. Love it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:14 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Hahaha....holy jeez that is too cool. When your fixes have fixes you know you've got a special relationship with your aircraft. The tape on tape on tape nose made me laugh. If you want a diet, some carbon instead of all that wood might help, but....she's got that je-ne-sais-quoi, that character. Love it.
The carbon fiber piece in the stab is pretty flimsy. looks like it should do something but I like a bit more strength.
She flies fine. just gotta be easy on the aileron.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined May 2012
9,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
She flies fine. just gotta be easy on the aileron.
Like an old Jaguar, leaking oil everywhere and mechanically, well, you just close your eyes and pray...but once the engine's purring and you're driving down the road, windows down, huge wooden steering wheel in hand...like an old friend.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:02 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,788 Posts
gyroless CC = monster in the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
I spent an hour on the phone with HH tech support today. By pointing out that the Spektrum page mentioned features that did not seem to exist in the version I downloaded, and he did not have the editor on his desktop, he downloaded the 'current' version and installed it and confirmed that it seemed to be a wrong version. [on hold...] He says he talked with IT/web folks and they did not know why the old version was there and gave him the new version, which he email to me. I asked and got permission to pass it around till they get the site re-updated and he said sure go ahead.
Spoke with a higher level HH tech guy and he says it was -Spektrum- that actually pulled the plug on the v2. But not sure exactly why. He also said that it was slightly improper for HH to redistribute the v2 because technically it wasn't their software to begin with. But since it had already previously been released, and they didn't have a official order from management to not distribute it, it's really a no harm no foul thing.

I told him look, once you publish those sample config files with the block of hexadecimal numbers, there are no more secrets. AAMOF there are people out there -right- -now- making up spreadsheets and doing analyses trying to figure out what each number does so WE THE USERS can adjust the gyro behavior. Just release the silly software and let US do whatever we want, never mind some management political decision.

Quote:
I half-hesitate to put up this file because although I could install and run it (I think) I was apparently unable to have it 'connect' to the CC.
Turns out I needed to run the executable as administrator, because it talks directly with hardware (USB interface.) W7 didn't prompt me for that, have no clue why not, but I do recall other software/hardware behaving similarly and not prompting me.

Turns out that the *driver* is probably exactly the same from version to version, and only the -executable- is different. Reason is that the driver -only- facilitates communication between the PC and the USB interface, and then the USB talks with the brick serial port. That PC-USB communication doesn't change from v1 to v2 because it's still the same USB device.

With admin privileges it was easy to shut off the gyro. Tried to use the switchable thing but don't know if I was doing that properly and couldn't seem to make it work.

Flew CC in 10-15mph gusty wind (windsock snapping) which probably wasn't a good idea for a first try. *Very* difficult just to get off the ground! The wind got under the wing and spun it around about 4 tries, and two tries flipped it right over. Nothing like *that* ever happened before in *any* wind. I could have hand tossed it but I preferred to have both hands on the sticks for this. Finally got it off the ground and it was a monster. Flew very much like Champ (which I'm very used to in this kind of wind and very comfortable with, *but* I was unused to CC behaving that way so took a few minutes to get used to.

Will try again tomorrow (very mild wind scheduled) just to see how it goes, and will probably end up with compromise of 'some' gyro.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
Flew CC in 10-15mph gusty wind (windsock snapping) which probably wasn't a good idea for a first try. *Very* difficult just to get off the ground! The wind got under the wing and spun it around about 4 tries, and two tries flipped it right over. Nothing like *that* ever happened before in *any* wind. I could have hand tossed it but I preferred to have both hands on the sticks for this. Finally got it off the ground and it was a monster. Flew very much like Champ (which I'm very used to in this kind of wind and very comfortable with, *but* I was unused to CC behaving that way so took a few minutes to get used to.

Will try again tomorrow (very mild wind scheduled) just to see how it goes, and will probably end up with compromise of 'some' gyro.
I've had three Champs that I've modified with floats, one was kept stock, and the last one was 2S powered...I agree about the Champ in winds...But I would think that the CC would be harder to fly in the wind without AS3X than the Champ due to the lack of much dihedral...The Champ is very stable with its ample wing dihedral...

I just got through putting in another flight on the CC in 10-15mph gusty winds...Even with AS3X the CC was pretty much "all over the place"...I could hear the AS3X system working its butt off and it was still bouncing around quite a bit...Made me want a "clipped wing" version of the CC as with that big plank of a wing in gusty conditions the wing was acting like a giant lever---Once the wing got to rocking in one direction it appears to be tough to stop, even for AS3X...

One wierd quirk that I noted is when you get the plane nose high and in a stall the AS3X system wants to do some strange inputs, keeping the plane stalled....I've got to get some video of it to help describe what the CC does in this deep stalled condition...Almost like it has a mind of its own...I can add power and fly out of it...I can see where some say that the AS3X system is "fighting" them...

I did manage to knife edge the plane and surprisingly the plane does a decent job of this with not much rudder input...And also surprisingly the CC doesn't require a massive amount of cross-controlling either...

I bought this plane for some relaxing float flying on calm days...It looks to fill the bill in that arena---But the jury is still out concerning flying this plane in windy/gusty conditions due to the huge wing area, lack of much dihedral, and undercambered wing...

Kevin
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:43 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Using the programmer and the newer software that a gentleman was kind enough to post a few days ago I finally got a chance to open up my CC. Programmed in 0 ( zero ) gain on all 3 axis and now as3x is off, simple as that. Flew it today 3 flights and I am much happier with it, feels like a cub. Was dead calm for the most part and the only thing I mixed in was 20% aileron-rudder. Flew great low and slow at all flap settings. I am now a happy camper.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:19 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,667 Posts
I so need a USB interface!
Oh, and them settings before Spektrum try to stop us getting them...

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Those of you fed up with AS3X---How about we make a trade...I have a few non-AS3X RX's to trade for AS3X RX's......I also have several 6 channel Spektrum compatable RX's that are brand new that I'll trade for AS3X RX's.....

Kevin