HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:27 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,528 Posts
My poor beat up little CC V1 is still going strong.
I haven't flown her in over a month but today was so nice, thanks to Global warming, that I just had to fly something and since I had a batch of batteries all charged up I decided to fly her.
She's not as stable as I remember her being but that could be because of all the repair jobs I did on her but in any event, she still flies great. Practiced 2 dozen landings and takeoffs and just had a blast.
I see that the prop adapter for the CC is now longer than before. What's up with that?
The old one was shared with the Sbach and looked much more scale than the designated one.
Oh well, It's nice to get reaquainted with the little girl. I have probably a 100+ flights on her.
It'll be a sad day when she's retired.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:09 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
686 Posts
My little UM J3 Cub attracts birds, dogs, millions of little kids and gorgeous young ladies (yum) at the park.
My Carbon Cub attracts nothing.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:14 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
My little UM J3 Cub attracts birds, dogs, millions of little kids and gorgeous young ladies (yum) at the park.
My Carbon Cub attracts nothing.
Which UM J3 cub do you have?
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:41 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,618 Posts
The CC's green LED is not pure green, it's yellow-green which is one of the least bright colors in mcd for a LED. Pure green is one of the brightest...not sure why they wouldn't have used this color which is also actually scale.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:36 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,023 Posts
Is it possible to disengage the AS3X? Reason I ask..is that I feel that it is over riding my commands. I roll into a turn..and apply appropriate amounts of rudder, yet the adverse yaw is often so bad, that it hangs in a knife-edge. I have my throws maxed out mechanically and programming wise. I have heard some say the same thing about AS3X..and then others say that it is not a problem. Thoughts? Also..my CC has a hole at the base of the windscreen. Does this indicate which version I might have?

Thanks,

Disclaimer: I am a very experienced builder/pilot.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is offline Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:35 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
Is it possible to disengage the AS3X? Reason I ask..is that I feel that it is over riding my commands. I roll into a turn..and apply appropriate amounts of rudder, yet the adverse yaw is often so bad, that it hangs in a knife-edge. I have my throws maxed out mechanically and programming wise. I have heard some say the same thing about AS3X..and then others say that it is not a problem. Thoughts? Also..my CC has a hole at the base of the windscreen. Does this indicate which version I might have?

Thanks,

-Cub
Can you adjust the control rods so that there is more up than down with the ailerons???...This would cancel out adverse yaw...

I have one of these coming in a couple of days so I will be able to give real world advise....

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
588 Posts
I'm more adventurous than wise with these versatile little planes - went out again today several times - first in freezing drizzle and later at night. Had to, the snow's melting with rain and warm temps and the CC has floats on it now. Flying off snow is more fun than throwing snowballs.

It isn't as easily seen as the Night Vapour and it goes faster. That can make it difficult to see particularly as it flies away from you. But as long as it isn't flown too far away it can be seen at night particularly with snow on the ground. Obstacles like trees or power lines could present a problem though.

I've found the same thing that Cubcrazy mentioned - the adverse yaw is sometimes very noticeable.
I wanted to check out its response to cross wind on takeoff. No problem but it banked in response to the wind and kept on a straight line which was a little disconcerting at first. It's just a matter of knowing what to expect and reacting accordingly.
Other than that the flying characteristics seem natural to me but today was only the 7 & 8th flights. Each time out the weather, wind, snow conditions, and even lighting have been different.
I have no complaints though - this one may become a favourite. It's easy to transport, has all the controls, can be flown night or day, doesn't need much space, flies fast or slow.
midnite is online now Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
588 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,

-Cub
Yours is Version 2 like mine.

Mine does exactly what you reported as well. I wonder if they all behave the same.
midnite is online now Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:07 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Can you adjust the control rods so that there is more up than down with the ailerons???...This would cancel out adverse yaw...

I have one of these coming in a couple of days so I will be able to give real world advise....

Kevin
Right out of the box, the ailerons are already dialed in with diff. Mine only go up, and center. VERY little down throw...maybe 1mm. I thought that was a cool design feature. I have my rudder throw maxed as well. I find the stock battery charger to be a complete piece of junk. It doesnt seem to do anything but balance mode. I have another charger and some batts that I will have to solder up to stay in the air while on vacation. I have some 350mah 2s from HK. Fit beautifully, and since I find the plane rather tail heavy..I look fwd to this bump in flight time.

-Cub
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:55 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
My programmer showed up at the LHS today, I didnt have time to pick it up though. Tomorrow Ill crack open the cub, turn the gain on all gyros to minimum and redo the rudder and elevator linkage while im in there as well. Hopefully between those two things it will fly more like a cub and lose most of the effects of the as3x nanny that has nerfed the flight envelope and is my only gripe really. Took a quick minute and gave mine an intake and exhaust. Im working on how I want to bend up some new gear for it and come up with a scale looking bracket to mount the tailwheel on. Might need some jury struts at some point, and I saw some fellow post pics in one of the CC theads of his with a pilot that looked killer. Where does a fellow get one of those pilots? Has anyone made files of other schemes? I could have sworn there was a file with the yellow and the black schemes on silver somewhere....? Even a scanned in stock decal sheet would be nice.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:02 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
My programmer showed up at the LHS today, I didnt have time to pick it up though. Tomorrow Ill crack open the cub, turn the gain on all gyros to minimum and redo the rudder and elevator linkage while im in there as well. Hopefully between those two things it will fly more like a cub and lose most of the effects of the as3x nanny that has nerfed the flight envelope and is my only gripe really. Took a quick minute and gave mine an intake and exhaust. Im working on how I want to bend up some new gear for it and come up with a scale looking bracket to mount the tailwheel on. Might need some jury struts at some point, and I saw some fellow post pics in one of the CC theads of his with a pilot that looked killer. Where does a fellow get one of those pilots? Has anyone made files of other schemes? I could have sworn there was a file with the yellow and the black schemes on silver somewhere....? Even a scanned in stock decal sheet would be nice.

Mendo
What is this programmer you speak of? I was under the impresion al that could be done with AS3X was change to different pre-set flight settings.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:04 AM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,475 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,

-Cub
This is odd. I can roll her all day, she behaves a lot like my 1/5 scale cub. A high wing, high lift body is hard to get a smooth roll out of, but I never have experienced what you are describing. Now if you are doing a right roll and trying to add left rudder to keep the nose up she's going to KE. The rudder on a cub can substantially reduce roll rate. This isn't an aerobatics plane, well it is.....in its own cub kind of way.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:21 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
What is this programmer you speak of? I was under the impresion al that could be done with AS3X was change to different pre-set flight settings.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ammer-SPMA3060

You have to look a bit but it works on the v2 cub brick. The manual states that you are able to adjust the gain in increments on any and all of the gyros. I would like to be able to turn it off, but at whatever the minimum setting is its got to be less intrusive than whatever it is defaulted at. I like this plane alot, but the gyros are a complete deal breaker for me, I want a cub not something that feels like an iphone app...

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:25 AM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ammer-SPMA3060

You have to look a bit but it works on the v2 cub brick. The manual states that you are able to adjust the gain in increments on any and all of the gyros. I would like to be able to turn it off, but at whatever the minimum setting is its got to be less intrusive than whatever it is defaulted at. I like this plane alot, but the gyros are a complete deal breaker for me, I want a cub not something that feels like an iphone app...

Mendo
Hmm, I would certainly like to dail back the rudder on the Beast 3D a bit. Still, I think taking the AS3X off the cub will result in some poor performace. I'd do it slowly. have you flown an undercambered micro before? My P-51 is a great flyer, but i'll be damned if she doesn't fight landing every single time. My non AS3X beast was the same way. Just had all these wild quirks. Th AS3X model changed everything. especially in the wind. Best of luck to you and let us know how it worked.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:26 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
This is odd. I can roll her all day, she behaves a lot like my 1/5 scale cub. A high wing, high lift body is hard to get a smooth roll out of, but I never have experienced what you are describing. Now if you are doing a right roll and trying to add left rudder to keep the nose up she's going to KE. The rudder on a cub can substantially reduce roll rate. This isn't an aerobatics plane, well it is.....in its own cub kind of way.
Here is what I am experiencing: I take off... and the nose pitches up violently...I reduce power...it calms down...I fly out straight and level...I initiate a left bank. I add left rudder at the same time...it doesn't matter...plane basically does a knife-edge...since it is in KE...I apply elevator to try and drag the nose around...eventually it works. Sometimes it does this more pronounced..sometimes less. Need more flights to on it to get a better read on it. Also going to run a heavier battery so that should tame the pitch issues at WOT.
RCG Plus Member