HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:04 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2011
119 Posts
How can I find the right spot to place it in reference to cg? Also, any ideas on how to mount it?
mat3415 is offline Find More Posts by mat3415
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:32 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,505 Posts
I place mine above the wing/cabin.
Measure CoG before and after mounting to ensure it stays the same.

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:26 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
Be careful where you let the "cute" planes direction lead you. Years ago my wife found a kit build that she thought was cute, and said she'd want to fly it. 50 hours of building later, and a big 50"+ bright pink wing, she loved how it looked. Then she never once tried to fly it.

I now have a 50"+ bright pink wing looking at me from my hobby room every day

Moral of the story - only get/build "cute" airplanes that you yourself would be willing to fly!
Normally I don't quote entire posts, but go reread what you wrote. 'Be careful' because 'she loves' part of *YOUR* hobby? In *YOUR* 'hobby room?' A whole room not half of a closet? With 'frownie' icons you wrote all that???

*You* better 'be careful' that *she* never sees that post, because what *YOU* have is ***PRICELESS***!!! <-- Three smilies! That's what you should be doing!!

Sure it's be totally *beyond* priceless if she wanted to fly too. But so what? She's thrilled that you could do something -for- -her- as part of -your- hobby. If that's all she wants to do as far as participation then good enough. A few guys at the field are lucky enough that the wives tag along, some pretty often, some frequently. None of the wives fly. A few more than those are lucky enough to get sons/grandsons interested, and a couple of daughters too. Anything you can do to keep the wife convinced that you still want her around is a plus. Anything anyone can do to keep kids off the street and doing something positive and constructive is good. If they want to take it further that's a plus but you have to admit flying is a very individual thing. Some are into dirt bikes, others karaoke, others stamp collecting, but it doesn't matter what it is as long as it's not wasted/destructive energy.

/rant
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:51 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2011
119 Posts
What about the hobby king wing camera (the original one). On the hk site it says that it weighs around 30 grams. Do you think the cc can carry that?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat3415 View Post
I am thinking about putting a keychain camera or some other type of small video recorder on my new cc when it arrives. Do you guys think it will handle the weight? I know that hobby king carries the turnigy keychain camera(have one but it stopped working) as well as the wing camera. I don't want to spend very much for it, as its just for fun. Any suggestions?
I just did this a couple of days ago. I got one of the keychain cameras for $10 and mounted it to my CC using Velcro. I mounted it just behind the battery compartment where the floats (I think) go in. Without a test of the CG, I flew it and it was just a tad tail heavy, but I adjusted the trim and it leveled out and flew very well. It flew better without the flaps down (I tried them at the mid point to slow it down for a nice shot).

It had more than enough power to carry the extra load aloft and made for a fun day. The pictures were more jerky than the ones I took with it mounted to my larger T-28, but then there was a bit of a breeze tossing it around. Look forward to trying to get some better stabilized shots.
IatricSB is offline Find More Posts by IatricSB
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:57 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
So, cute planes are OK. Hmm. Gonna have to remember that in the future! That's a cool story about your daughter. I bet that her showing up at the field is the highlight of the day for the guys. Great stuff! So, did you get her on the sim yet??
Some sim time, and a little heli time. She's my little shadow, always trying to do the things daddy does, some things shes better at than others.

Name: Lainerplane..jpg
Views: 55
Size: 143.8 KB
Description:

Name: NRAfail.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 58.9 KB
Description:

Name: lainertruck2.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 60.0 KB
Description:

Name: choochoo.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 98.7 KB
Description:

Name: Laineycamp.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 148.0 KB
Description:
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Last edited by Wookster; Jan 28, 2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Dang typo fairy shoved her wand up my..........nose.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:00 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
My exact same experience with Horizon service!
I've sent in many items.
The only cost to me was shipping it to them.
Unbelievable Service!!

rc
Same here. I've always had great service. They have never failed to make things right, and they have given me the benefit of the doubt on a number of occasions.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:31 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
What about the hobby king wing camera (the original one). On the hk site it says that it weighs around 30 grams. Do you think the cc can carry that?
That cam gets poor reviews. Get the 808 #16, instead. You get great true 720p 30 fps video with programmable features such as 180 degree rotation, mic level settings, resolution settings, and record length settings.

It doesn't have video out, but it only weighs 17g & the CC doesn't even know it's there. Here are a couple of my on-board videos from the CC. She is still a hot-rod - even with the 17g cam on top. Be sure to watch in 720p!

Eflite UMX Carbon Cub SS - more on-board video (8 min 26 sec)

Joel
On-board video - UMX Carbon Cub in the snow (6 min 20 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:42 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
That cam gets poor reviews. Get the 808 #16, instead. You get great true 720p 30 fps video with programmable features such as 180 degree rotation, mic level settings, resolution settings, and record length settings.

It doesn't have video out, but it only weighs 17g & the CC doesn't even know it's there. Here are a couple of my on-board videos from the CC. She is still a hot-rod - even with the 17g cam on top. Be sure to watch in 720p!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKDn9Ynz6b4

Joel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0p37uTIzIs
Thanks for the help... Is the hk turnigy td16 keychain camera the same thing? Where did you buy your #16 from? I have also heard of the #18...how is that one?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:28 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help... Is the hk turnigy td16 keychain camera the same thing? Where did you buy your #16 from? I have also heard of the #18...how is that one?
The #18's video isn't as good. You're much better-off with the original #16. beware of fakes. They;re supposed to cost around $40 USD. If you see one for half the price, it's a fake for sure. I got mine here. Very reputable seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808...item2a1721820c

Here's the authority on keychain cams: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.shtml

Here's an entire thread on the #16: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Update on the frozen motor -

Ignoring wisdom and happy for it nonetheless, I took the CC out for a fly today in conditions that should have deterred anyone - it was about 34 degrees, and drizzling - flew two batteries and it seemed to be fine. My concern was a loss of power but it had no trouble doing anything asked of it.

Fun, versatile, little plane. With flaps down it flies as slow or maybe even slower than the Champ, and can be flown in small spaces.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:29 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,926 Posts
I went ahead and put one of these CCs in my hangar today. I am away from home and only have my DX6i with me, but I will be switching to my DX8 when I get home. My first flight was after dark under the street lamps. I thought that with the LEDs and so forth, I would be able to see it well enough. This proved to be very incorrect. I clipped a power line...and clipped a tree branch. Barely a scratch on the plane, but I will wait for daylight. I put the floats on this evening, so ROS operations will be in order tomorrow. I had a bad warp in the rudder causing a nasty left turn tendency. I got that straightened out and I look fwd to more flights with this little machine. Can never have too many Cubs.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:23 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I clipped a power line...and clipped a tree branch.
-Cub
That is the problem with flying at night. They don't put lights on the trees and other obstacles. You probably just need to fly in a more open area. Btw how bright are the CC's lights? I have lights from SF Solutions for my Beast. Anyone have lights from him and the CC and know if the CC's lights are less, more, or the same brightness? Been thinking about pulling the trigger on a CC, but the price seems a bit steep compared to other aircraft.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:44 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,908 Posts
Cubcrazy,
In post 1231 there is a DX8 SPM file for the Cub that I created. A few people in the forum besides myself have tried it with success.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:53 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
That is the problem with flying at night. They don't put lights on the trees and other obstacles. You probably just need to fly in a more open area. Btw how bright are the CC's lights? I have lights from SF Solutions for my Beast. Anyone have lights from him and the CC and know if the CC's lights are less, more, or the same brightness? Been thinking about pulling the trigger on a CC, but the price seems a bit steep compared to other aircraft.
The CC's lights are small SMD type leds. I haven't seed the SF Solutions in person but the images lead me to beleive they are MUCH brighter. the CC's lights are relatively dim, they are more there for scale realism then to actually use to see the plane in dim lighting.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon