Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:59 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Now, that's a classic! You are truly blessed! I'm looking at my floater-equipped CC, still chuckling.....

I was just thinking......most many some of us would give up our entire hangars for a wife like that. But then, what would be the point in having an RC-friendly wife?

Joel
Joel---You obviously have a good heart and are an optimist...Not EXACTLY "blessed" with an RC wife---The wife has been spending a LOT on herself lately and I busted her!!!...(It wasn't all that hard---Every time I went to the mailbox or the front door she had a package waiting)...So, basically I get to spend a little on myself but she is waaaaaay ahead of me with spending on herself...But what the heck---She is an executive and makes more than I so how much complaining can I really do???......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:40 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Feb 2006
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
Has anybody tested that cheap nanotech battery?
Horizon Hobby do not have the TP 325mAh 65C battery yet but it will cost 3 times more than the Chinese one.
Audioguru, yes, I have been using Nanotech 260 mAh packs for about a month in a Beast 3D. So far they are holding up well. Don't know if they can produce the claimed 70C rating but they do maintain voltage under load very well. I charge them at 3C using a computer controlled balance charger. When new I noticed that one pack required a lot of balancing activity to get the cells equal. After using a while longer in the Beast as well as a new CC I will submit an update on how they are performing.
W5HYN is offline Find More Posts by W5HYN
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
485 Posts
Kalmon - thanks for the clarification of P-Factor, Precession, and of course Torque and Spiralling Slipstream that affect a plane on take-off. I've noticed the effect which is particularly obvious with my CC on floats. You can see it in the track it makes as it leaves the ground.

Speaking of the CC - flew it again today for the second time but ran into a problem - don't yet know if it's serious but would appreciate comments;

Landing after the first battery it did a header and wound up getting snow in the vent holes. I blew out snow around the prop but didn't take note of what went inside. After talking a bit and the time it took to install a new battery, whatever went inside froze. The prop refused to spin when trying to take off. Obviously the motor must have been blocked by frozen snow or water - it required freeing up rotating by hand. It then spun with throttle application at first slowly but revs did begin to increase - there was still a noise and it lacked power. I tried to take off but all it would do is move on the snow without the power to rise - trying this several times the power became less and less and it was not possible to fly.
Temperatures were at the freezing mark.

Has damage been done to the motor?

Weather permitting I will try to fly it again tomorrow but temps are getting warmer.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:51 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
Kalmon - thanks for the clarification of P-Factor, Precession, and of course Torque and Spiralling Slipstream that affect a plane on take-off. I've noticed the effect which is particularly obvious with my CC on floats. You can see it in the track it makes as it leaves the ground.

Speaking of the CC - flew it again today for the second time but ran into a problem - don't yet know if it's serious but would appreciate comments;

Landing after the first battery it did a header and wound up getting snow in the vent holes. I blew out snow around the prop but didn't take note of what went inside. After talking a bit and the time it took to install a new battery, whatever went inside froze. The prop refused to spin when trying to take off. Obviously the motor must have been blocked by frozen snow or water - it required freeing up rotating by hand. It then spun with throttle application at first slowly but revs did begin to increase - there was still a noise and it lacked power. I tried to take off but all it would do is move on the snow without the power to rise - trying this several times the power became less and less and it was not possible to fly.
Temperatures were at the freezing mark.

Has damage been done to the motor?

Weather permitting I will try to fly it again tomorrow but temps are getting warmer.
I think the best thing to do (hidsight, eh?), once you realized it was frozen, would have been to heat it up to thaw it before doing anything further. A car's heater vent would work very well. Then maybe give it a shot, but with moisture inside the best advice is always to leave it for a couple days to dry fully before applying power to it.

I worry with some ice chunks (whatever snow would have quickly melted and then refrozen in a matter of time, allowing it to get inside everything) inside that you might have dislodged some magnets or damaged a bearing. Very hard to say but see if it rotates smoothly and has a regular spacing between "notches" in the magnets as you rotate it gradually by hand.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:56 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Now, that's a classic! You are truly blessed! I'm looking at my floater-equipped CC, still chuckling.....

I was just thinking......most many some of us would give up our entire hangars for a wife like that. But then, what would be the point in having an RC-friendly wife?

Joel
My wife has no interest in RC flying, but I have two planes in my hanger because of her. When she saw the Micro cub she wanted it. I thought it was for her to learn to fly, actually it was for me to fly it for her. Then I told her I wanted to buy the CC, she said money was tight, but what does it look like? Showed her the photo, she said "That's cute, go get it." My lady seems to have a thing for cubs. I can't complain. She brings our 18 month old out to the field when I'm flying. Funniest thing last year was a guy who stalled on landing and nose planted on the runway. The whole field went silent as it does when there is a crash. Then I hear my daughters little voice. "Uhhh-Ohhh" She owns that field. Seems most members are in that grandpa age range. She knows how to work the grandpas.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:01 AM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2001
248 Posts
So I got the Cub in July last year for helping a friend out. I had the overheating problem that sent it uncontrolled into the only tree I was flying near on the third battery. That was in early august. I put the plane away cus I just didnt want to mess with sending it in and all that. I kept up with all the issues and decided to cut the vent holes to see if I could try and fly her again. It worked like a charm. Its winter so its not in the 90's like the day it went down but it flew fine "until". I lost the rudder servo now. I was having a blast too. I wrote Horizon and told them but they sent the generic response saying to send it in for warranty evaluation. Im affraid with me cutting the holes and all they wont cover anything and there $30 an hour labor is crazy. Not sure what to do.
SpaKack is offline Find More Posts by SpaKack
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:14 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaKack View Post
So I got the Cub in July last year for helping a friend out. I had the overheating problem that sent it uncontrolled into the only tree I was flying near on the third battery. That was in early august. I put the plane away cus I just didnt want to mess with sending it in and all that. I kept up with all the issues and decided to cut the vent holes to see if I could try and fly her again. It worked like a charm. Its winter so its not in the 90's like the day it went down but it flew fine "until". I lost the rudder servo now. I was having a blast too. I wrote Horizon and told them but they sent the generic response saying to send it in for warranty evaluation. Im affraid with me cutting the holes and all they wont cover anything and there $30 an hour labor is crazy. Not sure what to do.
I have sent Multiple products in to them. some multiple times. Never once in my life have I had to pay a dime. Other than shipping. I'm willing to bet that sending it in for evaluation is their way of saying they will make it right. Go ahead and send it. They can't charge you shop time without your permission. Just like a mechanic can't fix your car without consulting you first, but I doubt it will be a problem. The folks at HH are good people.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:27 AM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2001
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
I have sent Multiple products in to them. some multiple times. Never once in my life have I had to pay a dime. Other than shipping. I'm willing to bet that sending it in for evaluation is their way of saying they will make it right. Go ahead and send it. They can't charge you shop time without your permission. Just like a mechanic can't fix your car without consulting you first, but I doubt it will be a problem. The folks at HH are good people.
I will try and get it shipped out this week. Thanks. The servo is on backorder so either way im grounded even if I wanted to fix it myself. The local shop does not have one in stock either.
SpaKack is offline Find More Posts by SpaKack
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:43 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
She brings our 18 month old out to the field when I'm flying. Funniest thing last year was a guy who stalled on landing and nose planted on the runway. The whole field went silent as it does when there is a crash. Then I hear my daughters little voice. "Uhhh-Ohhh" She owns that field. Seems most members are in that grandpa age range. She knows how to work the grandpas.
I take my 2yr old son to my local club field every weeks in the summer. That reminded me of a couple times this past summer. On guy put a 50cc Extra in straight down. We think it was a locked/bad connection on the elevator servo. But it went from about 80ft in a full death spiral spin to the ground. My son yells "Oh wow! ..... CRASH ..... go pick up pieces." most of the pits area just started laughing. I felt bad for the guy. At least he was able to get a smile after hearing that.

One other time our clubs Intro Pilot training director was landing a 74" Edge on only its maiden. Well he flared a bit high and the plane ballooned a bit and plopped to the ground. No damage but everyone was watching as they all knew it was a new plane. One of the guys on the bench said "nice landing" to poke fun at him, and my son tried to correct him and said "not landing, he crash!"

As to the motor/Ice problem I agree that if you get ice in there let it melt and don't force it. Your best bet now it to let it dry thoroughly and check for smooth turning by hand then do some run-up tests. Let us know how it turns out.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:48 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
My wife has no interest in RC flying, but I have two planes in my hanger because of her. When she saw the Micro cub she wanted it. I thought it was for her to learn to fly, actually it was for me to fly it for her. Then I told her I wanted to buy the CC, she said money was tight, but what does it look like? Showed her the photo, she said "That's cute, go get it." My lady seems to have a thing for cubs. I can't complain. She brings our 18 month old out to the field when I'm flying. Funniest thing last year was a guy who stalled on landing and nose planted on the runway. The whole field went silent as it does when there is a crash. Then I hear my daughters little voice. "Uhhh-Ohhh" She owns that field. Seems most members are in that grandpa age range. She knows how to work the grandpas.
So, cute planes are OK. Hmm. Gonna have to remember that in the future! That's a cool story about your daughter. I bet that her showing up at the field is the highlight of the day for the guys. Great stuff! So, did you get her on the sim yet??
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:01 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,119 Posts
My wife is fed up with me spending money on RC aircraft, despite me having very few of them. Even she thinks the CC looks good, especially on floats! One day ....
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:57 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,555 Posts
Quote:

My exact same experience with Horizon service!
I've sent in many items.
The only cost to me was shipping it to them.
Unbelievable Service!!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:11 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Be careful where you let the "cute" planes direction lead you. Years ago my wife found a kit build that she thought was cute, and said she'd want to fly it. 50 hours of building later, and a big 50"+ bright pink wing, she loved how it looked. Then she never once tried to fly it.

I now have a 50"+ bright pink wing looking at me from my hobby room every day

Moral of the story - only get/build "cute" airplanes that you yourself would be willing to fly!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:54 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2011
119 Posts
I am thinking about putting a keychain camera or some other type of small video recorder on my new cc when it arrives. Do you guys think it will handle the weight? I know that hobby king carries the turnigy keychain camera(have one but it stopped working) as well as the wing camera. I don't want to spend very much for it, as its just for fun. Any suggestions?
mat3415 is offline Find More Posts by mat3415
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:03 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat3415 View Post
I am thinking about putting a keychain camera or some other type of small video recorder on my new cc when it arrives. Do you guys think it will handle the weight? I know that hobby king carries the turnigy keychain camera(have one but it stopped working) as well as the wing camera. I don't want to spend very much for it, as its just for fun. Any suggestions?
I haven't tried it myself, but I have a keychain cam with the case removed, and it is only 11g. The floats weigh nearly the same, so it should have no problem carrying it at all. Just mind your CG when mounting it!