HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:49 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,246 Posts
That's what bothers me though about servos and failure rates etc. It's fine to say that out of all the planes I've had that use "a particular servo" I've only had one or two go bad... but if that failed servo results in the complete destruction of your plane you forked out good dough for... then once is enough and one too many. But, I guess that's something we have to live with and is the risk we take... all of our planes are going to use one kind of servo or another... and they all will have failure rates.

... I'm glad I bought some surface RC's to play with
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:51 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,060 Posts
Before she did too many one point landings because of the infamous elevator servo problem, she had scale exhaust....
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:40 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Painted the air scoop and engine intakes black just like the full scale.

Next step is to add bungees to the gear, flying wires on the tail, and print out and paste wheel hubs on the wheels. Then if I feel lucky add the bits to the struts that full scale cubs have.

Using Mosquito wheels, same width as stock, just about a half inch more in diameter than stock.

Using sukhoi main wheel as tail wheel, had to sand it down to fit the wire arch.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:38 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
I hear you Joel, and please understand, I'm not a Horizon Hobby hater....actually, I'm a fan. Really. It's just a little disappointing to hear of these issues from a company I totally respect...kinda like the Zero 300 which has had it's share of QC concerns. Both of these are also E-flite. I can't help but think there's some sort of correlation there, but then that's just sheer speculation

I guess I'm just not a fan of linear actuators...(I'm refraining from calling them servos, even though technically, they are...)

John
John,

I agree with you, as well. QC also seems to be a bit shy of normal Eflite standards on the 540QQ. It makes me wonder if HH may be putting pressure on their vendors to step up production, due to the high demand in this segment of the hobby.

BTW - I'm not a fan of linear actuators in this app, either. With these 2s planes, I'd rather pay the weight penalty & have rotary servos.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:18 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
John,

I agree with you, as well. QC also seems to be a bit shy of normal Eflite standards on the 540QQ. It makes me wonder if HH may be putting pressure on their vendors to step up production, due to the high demand in this segment of the hobby.

BTW - I'm not a fan of linear actuators in this app, either. With these 2s planes, I'd rather pay the weight penalty & have rotary servos.

Joel
I'm glad HH has been listening and that the 540QQ has super highspeed digital rotary servos. The foam is softer than warm butter but hey it's light and flies great.

--
Airpower glad to noticed the problem, I also saw that the u-bend was flexing, You might want to make a new attachment removing the u-bend. I believe Joel had posted pics of how he did it on his V1.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:23 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
John,

Joel
+1 on that Joel....

Now, let's go to the land of make believe for a moment and just imagine a Carbon Cub in the same class as the new Archer (which is a real gem, BTW)....it would be just as flyable in your yard, have rotary servos (muuuch lower failure rate) and have a "real" wing, vice the UM style underchambered airfoil.....I would be on that like a hobo on a sandwich !

Take care my friend,
John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:40 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Well, after I discovered that a new carbon cub is worth far less than I paid for it I decided to fly mine a bit. I tossed the floats on it and got a bunch of flights in at the lake this morning and had a blast. I also made up some tundra tires with machined aluminum hubs for it I will now get around to changing the linkages and so forth, converting it to jst, making a keychain camera mount, and when my programmer gets here turning down the gain on the as3x as far as it will let me. With a bit of fiddling I am pretty sure it will turn out to be a fun little addition to my micro fleet, and if the as3x is still annoying with the gain at minimums I will switch it over to a ar6310rx and 10a esc in case down the road I want to run 3s ( I have a fair amount of them ) A couple pics of it I took a couple mins ago when I was fitting the new wheels.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:52 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
Well, after I discovered that a new carbon cub is worth far less than I paid for it I decided to fly mine a bit. I tossed the floats on it and got a bunch of flights in at the lake this morning and had a blast. I also made up some tundra tires with machined aluminum hubs for it I will now get around to changing the linkages and so forth, converting it to jst, making a keychain camera mount, and when my programmer gets here turning down the gain on the as3x as far as it will let me. With a bit of fiddling I am pretty sure it will turn out to be a fun little addition to my micro fleet, and if the as3x is still annoying with the gain at minimums I will switch it over to a ar6310rx and 10a esc in case down the road I want to run 3s ( I have a fair amount of them ) A couple pics of it I took a couple mins ago when I was fitting the new wheels.

Mendo
Mendo, After you fly it a bit more you find the AS3X system feels less "in the way" that and with the undercamber airfoil it just does not fly as well with it off. Other people had tried. Regardless really nice looking tundra tires, and best of luck to you if you do decide to swap out the electronics.

-Brian
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:33 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
I have trusted HH even through all the servo issues, but I finally feel violated.

Have a servo issue on my new v2 cub.

Elevator locks in down position on every fourth landing. If it wasn't for the vent hole I would have to open it up every single time.

I'm now smelling smoke.

I'd like to return it to the lhs, but I feel bad because he's such a nice lhs owner.
Last edited by airpower; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:36 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I have trusted HH even through all the servo issues, but I finally feel violated.

Have a servo issue on my new v2 cub.

Elevator locks in down position on every fourth landing. If it wasn't for the vent hole I would have to open it up every single time.
Down... How in the world does it get there? I can't think of any reason short of wheels mounted above the winds that would require full down elevator!

Have you tried reducing the endpoints on the TX to help prevent the lockup? Also if you call HH I think the Brick is back in stock they may just ship you a new one to fix it.

Don't worry the LHS gets it replaced by HH, they don't eat the cost of the loss.

-Brian
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:40 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Im don't know how it gets down! End point for down was 75% and shot with de-oxit before any of the issues occurred.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:44 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Im don't know how it gets down!
Flap mix ?
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:03 PM
Australia, WA, Belmont
Joined Aug 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdbtz View Post
Gents,

I have about 2 dozen flights on the CC and had an odd occurrence today. During 3 consecutive flights the motor cut out. Each time I lost thrust, I chopped the throttle, waited a second or two, throttled back up and the motor resumed functioning. This happened on a fresh stock battery and a fresh 240 battery. LED was solid red upon landing. When the motor cut out, I still had control of all surfaces. I never could get the behavior to repeat on the ground. Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdbtz View Post
Think I may have identified the problem...While doing some ground tests this morning, the rubber servo stopped functioning. Wonder if it was going out yesterday and causing the OCP to engage, resulting in the motor cutouts. Darn, thought I was one of the lucky ones without servo problems.

Finnaly after a long wait i get my 2nd CC which is v2 and after binding i might have a problem so i havent flown it yet.

All the control surfaces work ok but the motor cuts out when i raise it to about 3/4 throttle... the red light flashes a bit and resets to solid and i have throttle control again. I dont intend to hold onto it whilst its at wot for long but it doesnt even get there. As soon as i raise the stick to 3/4+ it cuts out instantly and resets.

Ive read Joel's answers on possible reasons for OCP and all the servos appear ok but havent cut and checked connections or motor draw due to warranty if i get any in Australia No probs with my Sbach or Beast going to WOT on a static test and i only do it very briefly anyway but could the reason be that im doing a static test and causing to much load or is it a sure indication of cactus and not worth risking a maiden its bad isnt it. Ta

EFLU4864 rx
Standard Prop
Eflite 180mah and 200mah used for test
Kurtus is offline Find More Posts by Kurtus
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:32 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtus View Post
....the motor cuts out when i raise it to about 3/4 throttle... the red light flashes a bit and resets to solid and i have throttle control again. I dont intend to hold onto it whilst its at wot for long but it doesnt even get there. As soon as i raise the stick to 3/4+ it cuts out instantly and resets.
The motor probably has a shorted coil so it draws too much current.
Ask (demand) that HH allows your Local Hobby Store to replace the airplane like they did for me since I waited 4 months then received ANOTHER defective circuit board.
HH wanted the new box back (but my original defective airplane and the replacement electronic circuit board were wrecks).
Hee, hee. The box is more valuable than the entire airplane.

My sbach, first Carbon Cub and second Carbon Cub go WOT with no problems so they climb like rockets.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:44 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
You're batteries may be toast.

Not flap mix, flap mix is set at 15%, elevator was down as far as travel adjust allowed.