HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:34 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Well, all right then, they aren't intended as the primary method of slowing a plane down, although they do have a secondary effect of helping to reduce airspeed.

People are always complaining about their CC's ballooning when they drop the flaps, never occurring to them that they're dropped them at too high an airspeed. They always seem to want a hardware solution to their bad handling.
Gerry,

I completely understand about the ballooning comments; but then there was alot of folks assuming I was handling my model poorly...which I assure you I wasn't. Heck, even the venerated FAA warns against ballooning, and let's face it, even on FS aircraft, you can expect a certain amount of ballooning to occur right at flap deployment...a little like bumping through a thermal...

But you are completely right, some folks don't know how to handle an aircraft with flaps...kalmon's CC was lost to just such a person. Trust me, I'm not "that guy". I just think the VNF for the little Carbon Cub is waaaay slow and I found it challenging to fly at anything near 40-50% throttle.....of course, I only had a DX5e with no adjustments for the flaps......it was either all or nothing Now, if I could adjust the flaps to, let's say, maybe three settings, then I might be singing a different tune

I sincerely hope you have a wonderful time flying the CC my friend,
John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Jan 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:24 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,490 Posts
I agree with you, the VNF does seem really slow for the CC.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:43 PM
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Finally maidened my CC. Went poorly. The right wheel popped off on ROG .... as I took to the skies, I saw the wheel go bouncing down the dirt road I was taking off from. Tried to gently put it down in the grass to mechanically trim a left roll out of it. When I retrieved it, both keepers on the right wheel were gone. I found the wheel, thankfully... but now I have no keepers. What now?
I lost a wheel retainer on my CC too. I had a small bit of that epoxy putty that comes in 2 parts that you knead together like playdough and it hardens like a rock in 5 minutes.
I pushed a small piece of plastic wrap over the axle to protect the wheel, and molded a match-head sized piece ot the putty into a semblence of the retainer.
That was probably 6 months ago, and it still sits right there. It will probably outlast the rest of the airframe.
doug.wagner is offline Find More Posts by doug.wagner
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:25 PM
TAS Foamies was here!!!!!!!!
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
261 Posts
Well, I tried my luck at the AMA show and I won a Carbon Cub, I am yet to fly it, but before I do, does anyone have any suggestions on mods or anything
ThatGuy123 is offline Find More Posts by ThatGuy123
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:16 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,561 Posts
There's actually a CC mod specific thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648223
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:31 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy123 View Post
Well, I tried my luck at the AMA show and I won a Carbon Cub, I am yet to fly it, but before I do, does anyone have any suggestions on mods or anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
There's actually a CC mod specific thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648223
True, but the CC is one that, when it works, flies great right out of the box with only moving the pushrods in elevator and rudder horn to the second to innermost hole. And like all the UMX planes use a quality battery pack (not the eflite 180!!) RCBabbel has a great selection of packs.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:26 AM
Joined Oct 2011
455 Posts
My new Carbon cub (with a hole in the windshield and a hole in each aileron servo cover) has a quiet but powerful 2500kV motor (14 cogs per revolution) completely different to the noisy weaker 2500kV motor (10 cogs per revolution) on my old UMX sbach.

Unfortunately I did not measure the cogs per revolution on my original Carbon Cub that had a quiet but less powerful 2300kV motor.

Could somebody please measure and list the thrust and current of the new motor compared to the old motors?

E-Flite has a more powerful 200mAh 30C battery coming soon at a higher cost than the older 25C one. The ThunderPower 325mAh 65C battery is also coming soon to Horizon Hobby.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:56 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
My new Carbon cub (with a hole in the windshield and a hole in each aileron servo cover) has a quiet but powerful 2500kV motor (14 cogs per revolution) completely different to the noisy weaker 2500kV motor (10 cogs per revolution) on my old UMX sbach.

Unfortunately I did not measure the cogs per revolution on my original Carbon Cub that had a quiet but less powerful 2300kV motor.

Could somebody please measure and list the thrust and current of the new motor compared to the old motors?

E-Flite has a more powerful 200mAh 30C battery coming soon at a higher cost than the older 25C one. The ThunderPower 325mAh 65C battery is also coming soon to Horizon Hobby.
Joel did RPM testing with a "new" 2500kv motor from his Sbach3D and it was still less powerful than the 2300kv.. I say "new" because it was almost the same power as the old 2500kv. Unless they've slipped a new motor revision and didn't say anything I wouldn't expect much difference. *The differing number of cogs per revolution is interesting maybe Joel can check his and see what he has.

I just checked my 2300kv and it has approx 14 cogs per revolution.

*edit: The TP325 65C will still blow away the eflite 30C packs.

-Brian
Last edited by kalmon; Jan 22, 2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Battery info
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:17 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
Quote:

I did a static RPM test on the new CC some time ago. I also noticed the difference in cogging action between the new & old 2500Kv motors. Nonetheless, all of my 2500Kv motors (V1 Sbach, Beast 3D, Sbach 3D, CC V2) performed within 20 RPM of each other during static RPM testing. That is well-within the variability of my optical tach. BTW - with the commonly-available UMX-sized props, the 2300Kv motor is considerably more powerful & more efficient than all of the 2500Kv motors. This assumes that a high-performance, low IR pack is used.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:34 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I did a static RPM test on the new CC some time ago. I also noticed the difference in cogging action between the new & old 2500Kv motors. Nonetheless, all of my 2500Kv motors (V1 Sbach, Beast 3D, Sbach 3D, CC V2) performed within 20 RPM of each other during static RPM testing. That is well-within the variability of my optical tach. BTW - with the commonly-available UMX-sized props, the 2300Kv motor is considerably more powerful & more efficient than all of the 2500Kv motors. This assumes that a high-performance, low IR pack is used.

Joel
I don't know what we'd all do if Joel took a vacation!

I'd be willing to bet that if the motors were turning a 4"x2-2.5" prop the 2500kv would be better, however it is just lacking the torque to swing that "massive" 5" prop effectively. I'm also willing to bet that the 14vs10 cogging is the reason the new 2500 is not as loud as the old ones.

-Brian
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:03 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
I have a $100 gift certificate I have been sitting on since Xmas. Been thinking about what to do with it. The 2s micros I currently own are the Mig, Sbach 3d, and Beast 3d. Does the CC fly differently enough that people would recommend getting one even if someone owns the others? Have been thinking about the CC, the UM Stryker, or holding onto it and seeing what new products they might have coming in the near future. I have been leaning towards the later, but the CC looks pretty sharp and has been tempting me.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:23 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
I have a $100 gift certificate I have been sitting on since Xmas. Been thinking about what to do with it. The 2s micros I currently own are the Mig, Sbach 3d, and Beast 3d. Does the CC fly differently enough that people would recommend getting one even if someone owns the others? Have been thinking about the CC, the UM Stryker, or holding onto it and seeing what new products they might have coming in the near future. I have been leaning towards the later, but the CC looks pretty sharp and has been tempting me.
First of all, in direct answer to your question: Yes the CC flies very differently from the S3D, B3D, and Mig. I personally own those three and the CC. I do not own a stryker so I can't comment. The biggest draw for the CC is the cub like flying it is buy far the best UM ever if you enjoy nice relaxing slower flying, figure eights, scale spins. It is really out of place at high speeds and doing all the things the others you mentioned do well. Also if you have access to a pond the floats and flying off the water always puts a huge grin on your face, well at least it does for me.

Now HH has some REALLY great planes out now and from what I can tell some really nice ones soon to come. The new 540QQ sized planes (Zero, Archer, and 540qq) still small, yet fly very well. Visionaire, AS3X in a park sized plane! It is all going to come down to what type of flying you want.

So what do you want to fly? Fast, precision, 3D, scale, warbird, soaring?
Second, how much room do you have?
If you like scale flying then nothing beats a cub! And the CC is a really nice cub that can be flown in a large yard.

*edit: If you really like the B3D and Sbach3D then you might also consider the 540QQ. similar but so much more capable of 3D.

-Brian
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
455 Posts
I am back to using the original E-Flite prop since the flimsy GWS 5030 (orange) props break when the airplane lands on a long blade of grass, even when the grass is not frozen.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:26 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
I am back to using the original E-Flite prop since the flimsy GWS 5030 (orange) props break when the airplane lands on a long blade of grass, even when the grass is not frozen.
lol, that's because they were orange. No self respecting cub wants an orange prop!

Really though I haven't had any durability issues with my 5030 props but then again I don't land in grass.

-Brian
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:45 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,561 Posts
AustinG...

Check out the new Parkzone (Piper) Archer... guys are loving it to death There's a thread here for it... it'll probably be my next plane.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member