HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:16 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,914 Posts
These rules you speak of...are they American?

"Badges, we don't need no stinking badges..."

Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Yup, that's exactly what my plan was... lay a piece down oversized over the edge then flip it over and lay it on something to trim with an X-acto by sort of tracing around the edge.

Do you have a pic of how yours turned out?
Here's a couple of shots that might show the result - one with flash, one without. Hopefully the light reflection will illustrate the smooth no-wrinkle finish.

Where the tape meets at the centre line could be a problem with separation - have to wait until I can fly off snow to find out. The snow all melted.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:02 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
Here's a couple of shots that might show the result - one with flash, one without. Hopefully the light reflection will illustrate the smooth no-wrinkle finish.

Where the tape meets at the centre line could be a problem with separation - have to wait until I can fly off snow to find out. The snow all melted.
nice

it'll probably be fine even if it separates.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:59 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post

Nice job of no wrinkles. I really don't think it matters much though. The tape on snow is so slick anyways. Looks better no doubt. Sorry all your snow melted though. I hate that part.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:05 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,961 Posts
Even MY snow is melting today

... it's January in Edmonton???

... not that I'm complaining.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:42 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,703 Posts
We still have about 2 feet out in the yard. I haven't seen grass or dirt in a month now which is really great here in N. Cal. Although...I do miss flying my Beast and Sbach.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:53 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
We lost most of our snow.
I flew 3 batteries after work today. Amost no wind. I had a blast, even though my fingers were freezing by the 3rd.
The snow had matted the grass down and I was making actual rolling landings rather than plopping it down in the grass or snow. I'd never done that with a real (rc) plane. Only on the sim. before today. I'm a very happy newb.
I even pulled off a loop and a barrel roll. The roll was a bit scary. I lost a lot of altitude.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:38 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,955 Posts
Thanks to the lack of additional snowfall and the rain & warm temps last week, the couple feet of snow I had in the yard has shrunk to around 4-6 inches. I've had so much deer traffic lately that it would be tough a smooth spot long enough for the CC. Never thought I'd hear myself say it - but I wish we'd get another foot or so. My runway needs resurfacing.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:46 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
We lost most of our snow.
I flew 3 batteries after work today. Amost no wind. I had a blast, even though my fingers were freezing by the 3rd.
The snow had matted the grass down and I was making actual rolling landings rather than plopping it down in the grass or snow. I'd never done that with a real (rc) plane. Only on the sim. before today. I'm a very happy newb.
I even pulled off a loop and a barrel roll. The roll was a bit scary. I lost a lot of altitude.
Only a couple inches of snow left here for now, I hear another 3-4 on the way by Friday though.
When you roll the CC try to start by setting a 15-20* up just before you start. This way as you finish you'll only be 10-15* nose down and not have really lost any altitude.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:02 AM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Nice job of no wrinkles. I really don't think it matters much though. The tape on snow is so slick anyways. Looks better no doubt. Sorry all your snow melted though. I hate that part.
Mike
The past few years were pretty well devoid of snow. When we got a few inches around xmas I thought this winter would be different - maybe not. I like x-country skiing so it's been a bummer.

Anyway, it was good to get out today - flew the Beast and a small J-3. Very little wind, temps at 30 - not bad.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:38 AM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Only a couple inches of snow left here for now, I hear another 3-4 on the way by Friday though.
When you roll the CC try to start by setting a 15-20* up just before you start. This way as you finish you'll only be 10-15* nose down and not have really lost any altitude.

-Brian
I have another plane that performs similarly to the CC in barrel rolls, if I enter level I come out probably 45 degrees or worse nose-down attitude. I start with about a 20 degree climb but I also have been slowing down the rolls (Not full aileron) and practicing bumping the elevator down then up. Muscle memory will kick in eventually and hopefully I'll be able to roll it axially
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:32 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,955 Posts
Rolling the CC & full-scale Cubs

Here's some on-board video where I do a few rolls. I came out of the first roll quite nose-down, but I managed to keep the nose up on a few of my subsequent attempts. I had the CG set for level flight at 50% cruise with no visible elevator trim. Even so, she needed a fair amount of down-elevator to keep the nose up when inverted - thanks to the under-cambered wing. But then she was carrying a 17g cam. Notice that I enter the rolls in a nose-high attitude. Rolls at 4:05, 4:15, 4:45, 5:55, and 6:10.

Eflite UMX Carbon Cub SS - more on-board video (8 min 26 sec)

Full-scale Cubs also usually come out of rolls nose-down. 4 aileron rolls @ 4:05

Lenny Rolls, Loops, and Spins in a 1940's Clipped Wing Piper Cub (6 min 10 sec)

While we're on the subject of aerobatics - check out this amazing deadstick aerobatic routine!

Piper Cub Deadstick Aerobatics by Kirk Wicker at The Flying Circus Airshow Bealton, Va. 5/29/11 (2 min 16 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 16, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:14 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,685 Posts
Joel, those were some impressive videos, however This one really takes the cake!

LEGO Technic Piper Super Cub (4 min 32 sec)

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:28 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,914 Posts
Joel,

Here's where maybe I can start to pay you back for all the help you've been on this thread in regards to slow speed flight with the flaps (which I still insist are only for t/o and landing on the CC, but that's another story...)

Anyhoo, I've always started my rolls the classic way with a smidge of nose up attitude. Once the nose is pitched up, then start your roll. When you're inverted over the top she's basically level again, and by the time you're finishing up your work on the back side, yes she's pointed slightly down, but the trick/art is to have it the same basic "angle" on both the start and finish of the roll, if any of that makes sense to you. It's really just the classic "victory roll" that the boys did in WWII. Pretty much any video, or movie for that matter, always shows the pilots pitching a little nose up to get her going and then finishing a little down on the backside.

The FS Cub in the video (gorgeous plane, BTW) was so high up, he could get away with doing aileron rolls and losing gobs of altitude, so he never really did pitch the nose up prior to execution.

I hope this helps Joel. BTW, the AS3X ain't helping you in this maneuver either, but there's nothing that can be done about that; my rolls in my CC always looked a little like the plane was fighting them.

Not trying at all to hijack your thread, but here's a vid that has a beautiful example of what I'm talking about. It's from a classic aviation movie, "The Battle of Britain" and right at 20 seconds into the clip the pilot of the Hurri executes a textbook victory roll. That's what I've been working on perfecting for months and they don't look too shabby !

Enjoy the clip,
John

Battle of Britain Intro (7 min 28 sec)

Break out the !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:52 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Gws 5030

I've read that this is the recommended prop. for this plane.
What is it's advantage over the stock one ?
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT