HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
332 Posts
Horizon Hobby replaced my bad Carbon Cub.
The new one has a new 2500kV motor that is quiet like the 2300kV motor in my original Carbon Cub but not noisy like the 2500kV motor in my Sbach. The new motor is very powerful with the weak E-Flite 180mAh battery and has more thrust than the weight of the airplane so it climbs like a rocket!

The first flight was PERFECT. It flies slow or fast. It rolls and loops.
I painted it with clear acrylic Varathane (satin) so now the styrofoam balls are joined together and the finish is very smooth. The coating increased the weight 3 grams but it is still drying so it will weigh less.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:33 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
534 Posts
Newb

I know this plane is not recommended for newbs, but I love it !
I wished I had floats, but it did fine with just plopping it down in the snow when it was time to come down.
I ran 3 lipos through it today and I wished I had more. I mostly just cruise around at 1/2 throttle.
I wonder if I'd do better with the T-28 as the recommended aileron trainer, but right now I don't care. I had a blast today with the CC.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Last edited by Brian VT; Jan 13, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:41 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
I wonder if I'd do better with the T-28 as the recommended aileron trainer, but right now I don't care. I had a blast today with the CC.
Have you seen the new Parkzone Archer? I think it might become the new recommended 4-channel trainer Watch Chuck's videos on it in its thread!
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:00 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
I painted it with clear acrylic Varathane (satin) so now the styrofoam balls are joined together and the finish is very smooth. The coating increased the weight 3 grams but it is still drying so it will weigh less.
Would this be good stuff for coating the floats to make them better for grass/snow?
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:50 AM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Have you seen the new Parkzone Archer? I think it might become the new recommended 4-channel trainer Watch Chuck's videos on it in its thread!
Looks nice. I might could be talked into trading my Cub. You offering ?
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:10 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
447 Posts
Quote:
I know this plane is not recommended for newbs, but I love it !
I wished I had floats, but it did fine with just plopping it down in the snow when it was time to come down.
I ran 3 lipos through it today and I wished I had more. I mostly just cruise around at 1/2 throttle.
If it's working for you I guess you didn't need the T-28.

I still have not flown the CC I got for Christmas, partly because I wanted to practice on the UM T-28 that was recommended by many of you on this thread, and partly because one of the aileron servos on my CC doesn't work. HH sent me a pair of new aileron servos for my CC, but I have not replaced them yet. I finally got my UM T-28 out for its maiden flight yesterday, and after it was trimmed it flew beautifully, I was able to fly and land it without trouble. I will maiden my CC after it is repaired and I have some more stick time on my T-28.
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:17 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2001
246 Posts
So I got the Cub back when it first came out as a gift. When people were reporting problems. I had a problem with mine just kinda going off on its own and finding the only tree. I had talked to horizon about sending it in and just never got around to it. I havent flown it since. Its a lot cooler now then it was when it had the problem and I doubt I can still send it in. So I was thinking of just going for it and trying to take her up again. I heard they put holes to cool it or something. where are the holes located?
SpaKack is offline Find More Posts by SpaKack
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:32 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
United States, KY, Leitchfield
Joined Jul 2008
438 Posts
Broken motor shaft?

In the two 30 second flights I got Friday, I broke off the propeller and it LOOKS like the shaft that holds it on? Am i screwed or what?
Is it just the part of the propeller shaft that's broken?
I have a couple of prop savers, if I can mount one, this would be a good time I think.
BigD1961 is offline Find More Posts by BigD1961
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Seff 2014
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:50 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,358 Posts
the shaft broke, the screw holds the prop on the shaft
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:48 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,859 Posts
Quote:
Looks nice. I might could be talked into trading my Cub. You offering ?
I don't have a CC

... but I post here when I think I might have relevant things to say on it... maybe mods I did to my Champ or something that would/could apply to the CC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:55 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Would this be good stuff for coating the floats to make them better for grass/snow?
When I get around to making my Champ's floats (trying 2 methods... modding CC floats and building from scratch from the plans floating around RCG somewhere) I'll be "glassing" the bottoms like I recently mentioned I did to the wing tips of my Super Cub...

I won't be using the much cheaper Varathane, but Deluxe Materials EZE Kote. I weighed before and after my second layer of cloth and Kote... a layer that would cover the area of maybe the bottom of one CC float and there was only 1g difference. That's with only a single brushing of EZE Kote. On my Champ's floats I'd ditch the cloth but do 2 or 3 sanded layers of the Kote.

Hell, I'll probably just put packing tape
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
It is thin and they recommend at least 3 coats. It takes one week to become very hard.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:00 PM
Joined Oct 2011
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD1961 View Post
In the two 30 second flights I got Friday, I broke off the propeller and it LOOKS like the shaft that holds it on? Am i screwed or what?
Is it just the part of the propeller shaft that's broken?
I have a couple of prop savers, if I can mount one, this would be a good time I think.
Your "propeller adapter" is broken. The propeller is screwed on to it and it is screwed onto the motor. Horizon and hobby stores sell the adapter and propeller.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:17 PM
Joined Oct 2011
332 Posts
Poor Americans, freezing with cold and snow in winter and frying with heat in summer (plus the tornados and hurricanes).
I am "way up north" in Canada. Yesterday and today the temperature was warm and the little bit of snow we had is gone.

Today there was NO WIND for a while so I flew 3 batteries in my new Carbon Cub and 3 cells in my UM J3 Cub. It was fun flying in formation with the ducks in the park. They fly fast.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:18 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
United States, KY, Leitchfield
Joined Jul 2008
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
Your "propeller adapter" is broken. The propeller is screwed on to it and it is screwed onto the motor. Horizon and hobby stores sell the adapter and propeller.
Oh, thank goodness. I appreciate it.
I bet I have one in my spares container, I always try to buy a few spares for all my ultra micros. Are the props the same as any of the other UM planes? I wonder how a 3 blade from a Mosquito would perform? Hmmmmm......
BigD1961 is offline Find More Posts by BigD1961
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by BigD1961; Jan 13, 2013 at 02:59 PM.