Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Joel,

Loved the vid!
Calm, scenic, peaceful.
Perfect flight conditions.
Run inside, warm up, repeat.
Thanks for that!!

rc

ps...Perfect example of the joys & convenience of UMX flight.
RC,

Yes, it is very peaceful flying in my yard. The CC is a great compliment to flying my 3s Beast 3D & 3s Sbach 3D in the yard. Flying my 3s Sbach in the yard is sorta like driving an F1 car full-bore around a half-mile high-banked oval. Flying my 3s Beast 3D in the yard is more like driving a well-balanced, lightweight sports-car with the perfect setup & the best set of racing tires in the world around your dream track in ideal conditions. Flying the CC around my yard is more like taking a vintage sports-car out for leisurely Sunday afternoon drive through the forest during peak colors in the fall, and maybe taking the freeway on the way back just for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
........In the meantime, I'll live vicariously thru Joel, who's apparently the Carbon Cub wizard....

Cheers and happy flying,
John
LOL! There's certainly no wizardry going on over here! I am simply one (of many) who has had good luck with the plane, and I don't feel the least bit guilty about sharing my positive experiences with others on the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
pretty sure I read here recently that even Joel got a bad new V2. I don't think he was the only one I read here about either.
Yup. The first new-gen CC I picked up at the LHS had a bad elevator servo right out of the box. My LHS gave me a replacement plane & it has been fine so far. My first-batch CC performed flawlessly for the first 15 hrs or so & then an aileron servo started to fail. I had noticed that one aileron servo sounded slightly different than usual during my standard preflight. Further checking revealed that the servo was also slightly slower than usual, so I grounded the plane until I could get replacement. I called HH & they sent me a free servo. She has over 35 hrs on the clock now, and she's been trouble-free ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Joel has only had one bad HH micro ever before this one, im trying to remind to myself that he had it coming and that all the other new CCs are perfect.
I have never said that I've only had one bad HH UM. An aileron servo on one of my V1 Beasts went to full-deflection on its own & jammed during the maiden - right in the middle of a WOT inverted pass down the runway at eye-level. She augered into the asphalt @ full speed while doing the 'drill-bit' maneuver. Wasn't pretty. HH sent me a new plane. My first 2nd-gen CC had a bad elevator servo right out of the box & my LHS replaced the plane. The motor failed before the maiden on one of my Suhkoi XPs. The motor failed after the second flight on another XP. HH sent me new motors. Of the 30+ UMs I've owned, those are the only four that were defective out of the box.

I've had a number of defective and/or weak replacement 8.5mm motors, which is why I no longer buy or fly the 1s UM planes (except for my Mossie). I had a couple servos fail on my XPs - but both planes had already seen hundreds of flights. I also had an elevator servo lock-up on one of my V1 Beasts during an inverted spin after only 50 flights. My 130X just developed a tail issue yesterday, which resulted in burying it a foot deep in the snow. She has over 30 hrs on the clock, and the tail servo is not noted for it's longevity. It's definitely not a mechanical issue, which means that it's most likely the tail servo. I'm about to give it a shot of DeoxIT & see if it has any effect. If not, I'll most likely be needing a new servo.

I've had over 30 UMs, and I was an early-adopter. I've racked-up well over 500 flights on a number of of my UMs - and a couple are past the 1000-flight mark. All things considered - I think that's an acceptable track record for a cutting-edge facet of the hobby.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:56 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Joel!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:20 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
RC,
I've had over 30 UMs, and I was an early-adopter. I've racked-up well over 500 flights on a number of of my UMs - and a couple are past the 1000-flight mark. All things considered - I think that's an acceptable track record for a cutting-edge facet of the hobby.

Joel
Now that is an endorsement!
I take it you don't crash your planes very often anymore.
That's one thing that I love about this hobby is that the better I get, the less frequently I crash and thus my planes last longer.
For a while there I was racking up a new plane every 2 weeks and my wife was giving the "Eyeball." But now, I still have some originals, including the CC, and with 11 planes in the hanger, I feel I have enough.... for now.... or at least for the next 3 weeks.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:50 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,060 Posts
!

That's the addiction, er, ah, problem ! There's always one more out there that looks tempting, entices you to hit the "buy" button and Wham!

Now you've got 12 carefully crafted pieces of high-tech styrofoam sitting around...

And heck, with Micros, you could easily have twice that many, fighting for space in the closet....
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:34 AM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
!

That's the addiction, er, ah, problem ! There's always one more out there that looks tempting, entices you to hit the "buy" button and Wham!

Now you've got 12 carefully crafted pieces of high-tech styrofoam sitting around...

And heck, with Micros, you could easily have twice that many, fighting for space in the closet....
Just pray you never get bitten by the bug that eats those of us in the scratchbuild forum...
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:00 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,060 Posts
Oh, I've been following the work of Mr. Morgan, trust me...
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:39 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,163 Posts
Having some fun in the snow + a midair with my ham radio antenna

Took the CC out for another romp in the snow this afternoon. Was a beautiful day. I managed to hit my ham radio antenna (again!), but I flew out of it & landed successfully. No damage. Here's the video. Midair at 7:00.

UMX Carbon Cub - more fun in the snow + mid-air collision with ham radio antenna (11 min 33 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:12 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,337 Posts
Joel,
Great vid.
Do you fly with gloves on? I flew this morning and had thin leather driving gloves on and I felt I didn't have the tactile feel of the sticks so I took them off and my fingers eventually froze after 5 minutes. I tried latex medical medical gloves but my hands sweat inside exacerabting the chill.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:56 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Joel,
Great vid.
Do you fly with gloves on? I flew this morning and had thin leather driving gloves on and I felt I didn't have the tactile feel of the sticks so I took them off and my fingers eventually froze after 5 minutes. I tried latex medical medical gloves but my hands sweat inside exacerabting the chill.
Chino,

Thanks! I wasn't using use gloves. I've tried them - and like you, I don't care for the lack of feel. I do have a pair of Air Force flying gloves that are just barely tolerable, but they don't provide much protection. I'm good down to about -5 F with my bare hands if it's calm & sunny, but not for more than one or two shorter flights. However - at +36 F, I can fly for quite awhile before my fingers get cold if it's calm & sunny. Now that I can fly from my yard pretty much anytime I wish with the CC on floats, I've been thinking about getting a transmitter glove.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:12 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
I live in southern california, here 50 degrees is absolutely frigid!
Ye in colder climates, try this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11738
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:18 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Great vid and flying Joel. I agree, I have tried and just do NOT like flying with gloves, though the pair I cut the finger tips off of work ok. I am using that Turnigy Tx glove that airpower pointed out, it works great! I fly in some VERY cold temps and it keeps my hands warm. (Though at -35 C I find I have to use the finger tip cut off gloves AND the Tx glove!)

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:45 AM
Australia, WA, Belmont
Joined Aug 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Chino,

Thanks! I wasn't using use gloves. I've tried them - and like you, I don't care for the lack of feel. I do have a pair of Air Force flying gloves that are just barely tolerable, but they don't provide much protection. I'm good down to about -5 F with my bare hands if it's calm & sunny, but not for more than one or two shorter flights. However - at +36 F, I can fly for quite awhile before my fingers get cold if it's calm & sunny. Now that I can fly from my yard pretty much anytime I wish with the CC on floats, I've been thinking about getting a transmitter glove.

Joel
Might be a dumb question since im in Perth and its hot but did you try cutting off the glove's finger tips that you use.
Kurtus is offline Find More Posts by Kurtus
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:23 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,246 Posts
Problem with finger tip-less gloves is that's the part of your hand that gets the coldest (extremities).
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Problem with finger tip-less gloves is that's the part of your hand that gets the coldest (extremities).
Living in NC it doesn't get too cold here so anything under 40 F is not good for me. For gloves, I cut just the tip off the thumb only and then slide a Hot Hands heat pack in the palm of each glove. I've also used these hunting and they work great. You can pick them up at any WalMart.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Great vid and flying Joel. I agree, I have tried and just do NOT like flying with gloves, though the pair I cut the finger tips off of work ok. I am using that Turnigy Tx glove that airpower pointed out, it works great! I fly in some VERY cold temps and it keeps my hands warm. (Though at -35 C I find I have to use the finger tip cut off gloves AND the Tx glove!)

Marlin
Marlin,

Thanks for the compliments! I've been looking at that Turnigy glove, but wanted to find someone who uses one & knows what serious cold is all about! Now I have! I probably wouldn't fly very often when it's -35 C, but anything above, say, - 25 C would be fine with me, as long as it's not windy. One of the things I've noticed about the TX gloves I've tried out at the local shops is that the sides & top are flexible enough that the top part tends to sag a lot in the middle, which can reduce the space above the sticks to the point where my fingers hit the plastic window. I don't like that restricted feeling at all. How is the Turnigy in that respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtus View Post
Might be a dumb question since im in Perth and its hot but did you try cutting off the glove's finger tips that you use.
Kurtus,

I've tried that, but it didn't work for me. As North_of_49 mentioned - the fingertips get the coldest. They also cool off much more quickly than the rest of the hand, and dexterity & feel are affected the most by cold fingertips.

It routinely gets down to - 35 F around here. It is common for the daily highs to never get above -15 F for week or more in a row at least once during the winter. Frostbite is a serious concern when doing anything outside during the winter around here. Your fingertips, ears, toes, cheeks, and the tip of your nose are usually the first parts of your body that get frostbitten. Even mild (1st degree) frostbite can be extremely painful, and the pain can last for weeks.The problem is that you don't feel frostbite until after it has already happened. I know. I got 1st-degree frostbite on three fingers while flying one of my glow-powered planes with open-tip gloves when it was -15 F. I was having a blast shooting touch & gos on the lake, and didn't realize what was happening until my fingers started to feel clumsy.

I landed right away, drove home as quickly as possible, and warmed them up in lukewarm water like you're supposed to do. The pain was unbelievably intense during the rewarming process, but that was the least of it. A couple days later, my fingers started throbbing like I had just slammed them in a car door, and they kept on doing that for a damned week! I had never imagined that anything you could do to your fingers could hurt that bad for so long. My broken leg was less painful. Hell, my car wreck back in high-school didn't even hurt that much or for that long, and I broke my shoulder in 5 places as I nailed the driver's door on the way out (my car was old enough that it didn't have seat-belts) & spent a week in the hospital. If you ever get frostbitten fingers, I guarantee that you won't let it happen again!

Joel
RCG Plus Member