HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:01 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,392 Posts
post for ICU, any news on the skis for the beast and the ability for the cub?
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
Hold my beer and watch this.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jan 2009
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Picked up a spare CC at my LHS today. Got her bound, checked the controls, and the elevator servo slowed down & died during the control-check. At least it crapped out on the ground, rather than during the maiden. LHS said to bring it back & they'll give me a new plane.

Joel
I bought a CC a while back from our LHS only to find the same thing. I emailed HH about it and they said they would send me a new one and to keep the old one for spare parts. I had to send pics of the old one to verify that I both, had one, and that it wasn't in bad shape. I got the replacement the other day and as soon as the wind dies down some I plan on checking this thing out. The first one I had was the old version, and the new one is the latest version. Gotta love HH customer service.
hammerfly is offline Find More Posts by hammerfly
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:52 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Was it a V2?
Yup. I'll definitely be bringing my tx tomorrow so I can check the replacement out right there at the shop.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:01 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,557 Posts
Yup.....

And that's why I got out of the CC business...

Just a lurker now....

Can't trust the darn things, no matter what "version" they are. If I can't trust 'em, then I can't fly it and enjoy it...Planted mine into the ground twice because of a faulty/binding elevator servo. First time, I had my suspicions; the second time I knew right away what it was. If I crunch styrofoam because of my thumbs, that's one thing. But if my plane turns into $169.00 worth of useless styrofoam because of faulty electronics, well that's something I expect from BH, or any of the "others"...not E-flite.

Oh well, I'm still subbed so I can monitor the situation, but based on Joel's experience, it isn't getting any better. Too bad; what a wonderful little model.

John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:01 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Some of the coolest stuff I use in RC I get from Lee Valley as opposed to the LHS
Its another place that absorbs a lot of my after-tax dollars.
and a good source of neat bits.
AlThuban is offline Find More Posts by AlThuban
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:56 AM
Fair Oaks, California
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
Received CC #4 from Horizon Hobby (third replacement since May... due to frozen servos and overheating of escs.. causing motor shut off). I also complained of poor movement of elevator, even with pushrod connected to inner hole of control horn. They have paid for shipping each time - CC 1, 2, and 3 - and asked me to send them a detailed list of problems with recommended improvements (e.g. I fixed esc overheating by cutting a small hole in windshield and cutting small air exhaust holes under back of fuselage).

Well wouldn't you know HH has made some significant design upgrades on CC shipped on Nov. 19 !!!
1) The new CC has an air ventilation hole on the front of the windshield.
2) The new CC has 3 air exit holes under back of fuselage.
3) The elevator of the new CC has much more upward travel (pushrod comes instled in 2nd from outer hole of control horn).

Servo operation ok this time with rigorous bench testing, but will have to confirm in flight testing when weather clears up.

Appears HH has finally taken some of our concerns and recommendations to heart in this new "ventilated November 2012 design upgrade".

Excellent Customer Service has been tempered substantially by MUCH wasted customer time and money on this product with consistent repeated failures much greater than claimed and reported.

We shall see if the CC performs better with the new November 19 release.

More later.
GetUpThere is offline Find More Posts by GetUpThere
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
a lot to be said for bench and pre-flight checks.
Now that I have about 20 batteries for various planes and helis I'm worried about mixing up a uncharged battery and flying with it. I going to have to check voltages before I go out.
Walkera helicopters were getting into telemetry when I came over to planes. Didn't see the need for checking my altitude or motor temp while in flight ,I can't even check to see if my shoe laces are untied without getting into trouble. Would be nice to check voltage on runway pre-flight though. I would imagine that E-flight is going to go with telemetry next.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:43 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,620 Posts
I have owned over 30 UM aircraft, which is a total of 100+ linear servos. A couple are past the 1000-flight mark, a few are past the 500-flight mark, and most of the others are well-past 200 flights. I've had a grand total of four linear servos fail prematurely since I started flying UMs about four years ago. An aileron servo went nuts on one of my non-AS3X V1 Beasts during the maiden - right in the middle of a low WOT pass down the runway. (HH sent me a new plane.) The elevator servo on another one of my V1 Beasts died after 50 flights. As far as AS3X planes go - I had to replace a sluggish aileron servo on my first-run CC after 100 flights. (HH sent me a new servo.) And now the elevator servo crapped out on this one before the maiden. (LHS is exchanging the plane.)

It is common knowledge to those of us who follow these threads that HH had a bad batch of UM servos & bricks during the first CC run. Some of them also made it into the batch of Beast 3Ds that hit the shelves at about the same time. Since then, the servo failure reports & brick issues on the Beast thread have returned to being buried in the statistical noise. Once the feeding-frenzy is over with the updated CC, I expect that the same will happen - as has been the case so far with all of the other AS3X and non-AS3X 1s & 2s UM aircraft since the beginning.

I have hundreds of extremely aggressive 3s flights on one of my one of my Beast 3Ds - mostly in 15-25 MPH winds. The servos still perform flawlessly - despite the extreme conditions. Aside from the bad batch back when the CC came out, I don't see a big problem with them. (But I still wish they'd switch to an enclosed UM-sized digital rotary!)

Anyway....

I'm off to the LHS to pick up my replacement CC. Gotta remember to pick up some of those slippery adhesive-backed sheets they use on the bottom of RC car chassis to put on my floats for ROS. I don't think there's enough snow left in my yard for ROS, though. It's not often that I actually wish for the white stuff, but waking up to 4-5 inches of fresh powder on a calm 30-degree morning would pretty much have me grinning from ear-to-ear. My home
"runway" would literally expand from 4' x 10' to 150' x 30' overnight!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
I'm a skier and live in a ski town. Snow always makes me
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:30 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,620 Posts
Just got home with my replacement CC, but it's already a bit too dark for the maiden. I fired it up at the store & everything seemed to be in order - aside from a seriously out-of-balance prop. Hopefully, I can get a couple flights in tomorrow morning before the wind comes up too much. I'll also do a static RPM test & compare it to the original CC with the 2300Kv motor.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
Is the CC a good choice for an aileron trainer? I've been flying the Hobbyzone Champ and am ready to move on. Would this be a good choice? Thanks
george_foster is offline Find More Posts by george_foster
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by george_foster View Post
Is the CC a good choice for an aileron trainer? I've been flying the Hobbyzone Champ and am ready to move on. Would this be a good choice? Thanks
No. The CC is intended for intermediate pilots & above. It is most definitely not an aileron trainer. The UM T-28 is an excellent next step after mastering the Champ. Once you have mastered the T-28, have learned to use coordinated rudder in turns, and you are comfortable flying it on max throws in all orientations & are comfortable performing basic aerobatics - then it would be a good time to step up to something like the CC.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by george_foster View Post
I think so. I just got mine and it will fly around fine with just rudder and elevator. You can ease into aileron use.

edit: I just read Joel's post after typing mine. I don't have much experience so the T-28 might be better. I assumed a high-wing plane would be easier so I went that route. I really like the CC so far.
Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
No. The CC is intended for intermediate pilots & above. It is most definitely not an aileron trainer. The UM T-28 is an excellent next step after mastering the Champ. Once you have mastered the T-28, have learned to use coordinated rudder in turns, and you are comfortable flying it on max throws in all orientations & are comfortable performing basic aerobatics - then it would be a good time to step up to something like the CC.

Joel
+1
Also suggest the UM P-51 as I learned a lot on that, and probably the UM Spitfire which has AS3X the UM P-51 doesn't have.
AlThuban is offline Find More Posts by AlThuban
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,883 Posts
Just in case any of you are looking I have my ASK21 listed
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1779279
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun