HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:55 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
E-flight makes an inexpensive adaptor for using other chargers.
Tim
how does that work?
Do you have a link that points me in the right direction?
I have a UMX to standard 2s Balancing adapter cord.
but I can't charge from my non E-Flite charger.
is there some trick or something or am I doomed to using an E-Flite charger...

Actually I think I found it...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-efl-EFLA700UM
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Aug 27, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:30 AM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,033 Posts
Chino, that is the adapter you need. I ordered parts a battery adapter from RC Connectors but didn't realize, at first, that it wouldn't charge through the balance plug so I spliced in some banana jacks. $8.99 isn't too bad. My LHS wanted $13 or $14 so I did it the other way.
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:33 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Joined Sep 2011
2,422 Posts

After months of inactivity on the Un-Official Micro-Flyers Video Challenge thread, I think the time has come to create a new challenge thread, including revised rules, more challenge categories, and fresh new concepts. So I have created the new Micro Flyers Great and Small Video Challenge thread to cater for all of the micro flying audience by adding 5 new challenge categories.

All of the challenge categories are as follows:
  • Helis (IN BLUE)
  • Helis 3D (IN LIGHT BLUE)
  • Quads (IN GREEN)
  • Quads 3D (IN DARK GREEN)
  • Planes (IN RED)
  • Planes 3D (IN ORANGE)
  • FPV also including the use of "key chain cams" and other micro recording devices (IN PURPLE)

[SIZE="4"]Additionally I have added a Hall of Fame where you can compete to get your name on the podium in your respective flying class for the ultimate bragging rights.

valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:45 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
The battery hatch is already full of holes in -front- of the brick. The water aspect is a big part of the reason why the brick area is so far away from the hatch. If holes in the bottom were going to be an issue, the battery hatch would already have been a problem.

[...]
A really good fix would be to glue plastic spoon-tips over the holes to protect them. That would protect from water 100% except for the occasional tail-first landing, by which time there's more to worry about than just water in the fuse. It'd also solve the 'ugly hole' problem. Maybe could even find grey spoons so they blend in.

Did you have heat issues with them, or just a standard thing you do to avoid potential problems?
The battery area was designed so that the water would have to get in, roll forward, climb up, then roll back to get to the brick.

I put heatsinks on my Mig, B3D and AS3X Sbach to allow for 3S packs to be used. However in this situation I think the heatsinks would be the perfect addition for overheating. The heatsink would allow all that heat to be dissipated off the ESC and Voltage Regulator without the need for opening anything up. Even assuming absolutely zero airflow and 100% sealed container, in a vacuum, etc the fact that the heatsink was even there it should absorb enough heat to get through a 6 min flight.

I think maybe one cooling exit hole in the back with a "spoon cover" might work pretty well. As a side effect the air rushing by would create a very small amount of vacuum helping to pull air out.

I cant help but think that there is something more going on in your plane though, There are to many other that fly in the same temps that don't have a problem. Maybe another servo or two is binding creating an increased current draw causing the VR and thus brick to overheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post
I guess I've flown someone else's Champ in impossibly tight spaces (read, inside a not-so-large auditorium) and I can keep my warbirds on a tight track, do you think I could get away with a basketball court? I know the Champ is MUCH lighter...but I can hope, right?
The CC can easily fly in a single basketball court. if you've flown the um t-28 the CC needs about the same amount of space. maybe slightly more. The difference is the CC is not as tolerant of lazy rudder skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
if you have a thunderpower charger use this one instead.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:34 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Battery question:
Hyperion and E-flite Batteries for the CC don't have a JST connector, just the balancing plug.
I'd like to use my "Thunder AC6 Dual Power" charger but it is unable to charge through the balancing plug.
So I'm stuck using the stock E-Flite charger that came with the CC which is rather limiting.
What are my options?
CD,

These UMX planes and helis use a JST-PHR3 connector.
It's an all-in-one charge and balance lead.
Light and simple!

Many excellent charging options out there...

http://www.progressiverc.com/jst-ph-...beast-umx.html

I use this one because fast parallel charging multiple packs at the same time is the bomb...
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html

Glenn is another great option.
He also does custom work.
http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...l0j18b2q6dh657

Have some fun!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCBABBEL; Aug 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:44 AM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
The CC can easily fly in a single basketball court. if you've flown the um t-28 the CC needs about the same amount of space. maybe slightly more. The difference is the CC is not as tolerant of lazy rudder skills.
-Brian
Easily? Really? In my dreams... IMHO those of us with less experience need more room than that - in my case a LOT more room. And just because my rudder skills aren't very well developed yet does not make me "lazy".

Winter is coming and I'm not looking forward to putting the CC away, but I'd rather do that than get in everyone's way at the high school. I can keep up with the fixed wing pilots flying patterns with my 120 SR heli and my new Champ will help with the "rudder skills".

Besides, how much fun would it be for someone like me to take a thoroughbred like the CC indoors just to fly around in tiny little, anxious little circles?
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
329 Posts
My V2 Carbon Cub has had about 100 good flights.
On a few flights the motor ran out of power and made me think that the battery died but it always had plenty of power after landing. So maybe my motor stops due to too much heat in the ESC or something.

I like flying it as slow as it can go sometimes with two lightweight 125mAh ThunderPower cells. It hovers into the wind when there is a slight breeze and the flaps at about 30 degrees.
Then I pour on the power and it climbs almost vertically until it is a speck in the sky (GWS 5030 prop).

Thermals make it difficult to bring it back down. With the throttle at zero and the nose pointed down a little it is still climbing.

It is very stable when there is a fair amount of wind.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
59 Posts
there is a second version of the carbon cub? (V2?)
iT IS POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE ESC WITH ONE WITH hight power?
I have a dx6i transmitter, I have problem to controll flap with only 6 ch?
THx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
My V2 Carbon Cub has had about 100 good flights.
On a few flights the motor ran out of power and made me think that the battery died but it always had plenty of power after landing. So maybe my motor stops due to too much heat in the ESC or something.

I like flying it as slow as it can go sometimes with two lightweight 125mAh ThunderPower cells. It hovers into the wind when there is a slight breeze and the flaps at about 30 degrees.
Then I pour on the power and it climbs almost vertically until it is a speck in the sky (GWS 5030 prop).

Thermals make it difficult to bring it back down. With the throttle at zero and the nose pointed down a little it is still climbing.

It is very stable when there is a fair amount of wind.
artesina is offline Find More Posts by artesina
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Should I limit my flap travel to prevent the wheel from coming off?
mkcp40 is online now Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:04 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post
Should I limit my flap travel to prevent the wheel from coming off?
Yes, it can't hurt.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
United States, OH, Johnstown
Joined Jul 2012
116 Posts
I am new to the carbon cub ss and flew it this weekend. It was windy the 1st flight, but it did ok. I then read to move the control horns to increase the throw. When I did this, the next flight (dead clam) the plane climbed vertical and flew uncontrollable. It seemed to not react to my input correctly. I did a soft crash landing in the grass. I plan to move the control horns back to default position form the factory. Has anyone experienced this? Where should I look to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks in advance.
mthiel is offline Find More Posts by mthiel
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:19 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiel View Post
I am new to the carbon cub ss and flew it this weekend. It was windy the 1st flight, but it did ok. I then read to move the control horns to increase the throw. When I did this, the next flight (dead clam) the plane climbed vertical and flew uncontrollable. It seemed to not react to my input correctly. I did a soft crash landing in the grass. I plan to move the control horns back to default position form the factory. Has anyone experienced this? Where should I look to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks in advance.
Don't believe everything you read. Put the control linkages back to where they were.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,148 Posts
Quote:
I am new to the carbon cub ss and flew it this weekend. It was windy the 1st flight, but it did ok.
Cool, good start.

Quote:
I then read to move the control horns to increase the throw.
Not so cool, without a lot of practice and experience.

Quote:
When I did this, the next flight (dead clam) the plane climbed vertical and flew uncontrollable. It seemed to not react to my input correctly.
That's overcorrection. More throw means that to get the same response as the previous flights you need less stick movement.

Quote:
I did a soft crash landing in the grass. I plan to move the control horns back to default position form the factory.
That's cool.

Quote:
Has anyone experienced this? Where should I look to troubleshoot the issue.
There is no issue. It takes practice at the standard issue rates, lots of practice, to find out exactly how the plane is going to behave in maaaany different attitudes. Regardless of wind the correct response to 'nose up vertical' is elevator down and throttle back. Without that it will be uncontrollable.

You can't drive a tank of gas through a car, then change the motor out to triple the horsepower, and get in and expect it to behave -anything- like it did previously. You upgraded a sedate sedan up to a hot rod without enough previous experience.

Also, don't change -all- the rates up at the same time. Do one, and practice a *bunch* till you know how it behaves. Then change another. Take baby steps first, then jog/trot, and later you can run at full speed. If you try to jump from baby step immediately to a run you will fall down a lot. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but you'll have more fun flying without having to do all the repairs.

Also, do you have a computer radio or the stock radio? Higher rates really need expo so the surfaces don't behave too twitchy near the neutral/center positions.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,493 Posts
Quote:
This seems like too basic a question to ask but did you recenter the surfaces after you changed the hole position? It sounds like you didn't. It's frequently a three step process.

# 1. Change the control horn position
# 2. Recenter the surface because it will likely be wrong now (pinch or stretch the adjustment bend in the wire as needed)
# 3. Test fly and retrim

If sounds like you had UP elevator mechanically trimmed in from moving the hole position and not performing the other steps.

Another possibly is a bad elevator servo. On my first CC the elevator servo died before I got to put the first flight on it. Is you servo working OK?
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Last edited by NwRcFlight; Aug 27, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, OH, Johnstown
Joined Jul 2012
116 Posts
Thanks jbarchuk and NwRcFlight.

I have the DX6i Radio and have only added a bit of expo to the settings.

After moving the horns, the surfaces looked centered, but maybe not perfectly centered. I will wait for a calm day before attempting the next flight with horns back at default settings.

How perfect do the surfaces need to be? I had a few small crashes that bent the rudder and bruised the edge of the wing (nothing significant). Does it have to be absolutely perfect (like out of the box) before I can expect it to perform. I have been flying larger planes with nicked wings that don't seem to care. They just keep flying. This is my first micro plane I have flown.

Thanks again for your kind advice and taking the time to respond.
mthiel is offline Find More Posts by mthiel