HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:13 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtvnow FPV View Post
Wow, everybody listen it's 'jimsp' the Genius. That's right, I do remember reading the new AS3X technology, while helping to smooth the planes flight controls, also 'purposely' causes severe vibrations. Because we all know how vibration is good for airplanes.
Yeah, and I thought the flaps were voice activated and didn't realize I needed to put them on a 'flaps' switch on my radio. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Give me a break guys...really?...
Just trying to be helpful here. I have no doubt that an inexperienced pilot might interpret the sound of the AS3X activating as a vibration. Also others have posted that they didn't realize the flaps were on the gear switch.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:12 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGridley View Post
Well, its our independence day celebration here in the states as most of you know. My kids made a nice banner on some large heavy paper, and the wind is a bit variable and gusting near 20mph, but how could I say no to a tow?!?

http://youtu.be/dP4KUq7urLo

Hope everyone takes a moment to appreciate that we have the wealth and time to partake in such hobbies, the health to enjoy them, and the freedom to share our opinions with all!

Just making the world a better place, one cub at a time!

That was great! Nice job
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
877 Posts
My flying buddy bought a CC from our LHS this week. Flew it this morning with no problems. Flew perfect right out of the box. I have about 20+ flights on mine since HH sent me a new brick after a rudder failure.

It really is s great plane.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:51 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGridley View Post
Well, its our independence day celebration here in the states as most of you know. My kids made a nice banner on some large heavy paper, and the wind is a bit variable and gusting near 20mph, but how could I say no to a tow?!?

Hope everyone takes a moment to appreciate that we have the wealth and time to partake in such hobbies, the health to enjoy them, and the freedom to share our opinions with all!

Just making the world a better place, one cub at a time!
Great idea! (and nice words). What did they/you use to make the banner? Simple paper?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:27 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Yes THANK YOU ScottGridley. That was wonderful.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:02 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtvnow FPV View Post
Sorting it? Are you nuts?
You shouldn't have to disassemble a brand new airplane and fix it before you can fly it! [period]
Secondly, hats off for what...being total A holes and causing customers aggravation and missed opportunities with vacations and plans on flying a new cub while on the said vacation (read 'NwRcFlight's comments above)!

Wow, everybody listen it's 'jimsp' the Genius. That's right, I do remember reading the new AS3X technology, while helping to smooth the planes flight controls, also 'purposely' causes severe vibrations. Because we all know how vibration is good for airplanes.
Yeah, and I thought the flaps were voice activated and didn't realize I needed to put them on a 'flaps' switch on my radio. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Give me a break guys...really?
Rude newby

We have been dealing with the Cub problems since inception. Most of us have also done business with Horizon for years.

We can't tell you how glad we are to have you jump in and correct our numerous misconceptions.

Yes, the Cub problems are bad, but Horizon has our confidence because we've had positive dealings with them for years. They take care of their customers and correct problems when they happen which is INFREQUENTLY.

The Cub is as much of a disaster for them as for us.

Thank you for your concern, however ill conceived.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:09 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Thank you Pete. I didn't want to say anything but something did need to be said.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:20 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Thank you Pete. I didn't want to say anything but something did need to be said.
Newb, FPV, nuff said.

If I want to fix a new plane rather than have the hassle of sending it back, i don't want some new boy scolding me over it either.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:39 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Newb, FPV, nuff said.

If I want to fix a new plane rather than have the hassle of sending it back, i don't want some new boy scolding me over it either.
Hi Gerry,

I'm a charter member of the FPV forum and was a member of the group that wrote the rules for FPV that got it accepted by the AMA.

I'd still be doing FPV, but nobody can do everything that interests them all the time and if I could there wouldn't be enough room in my kayak for the bike, the hiking gear, camera equipment and airplanes.

Too many interests, too many books not read, etc.

For now, it's time to unpack my MiG.

I do miss FPV. did it long before the term FPV. I thought I was doing video pilotage.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:43 AM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Yes THANK YOU ScottGridley. That was wonderful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post

That was great! Nice job
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Great idea! (and nice words). What did they/you use to make the banner? Simple paper?
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

The banner was plain paper, from a large easel sized pad, the strip was 5" x 4'. I used a small scrap of hollow CF glued to one end to keep the banner from folding, then ran fishing line through the CF for the tether.

Kids enjoyed it though it was impossible to read in the air! I think the cub has enough power to tow a more properly constructed banner with weighting at the bottom and some drag at the aft to keep it from flapping so much, particularly with lighter banner material...
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Update

Well, I thought I would provide an update on my CC. HH sent me a new board due to a seized rudder. About 60 seconds into first flight after replacing board, I heard whining noise from plane. Then, plane banked left and nosed into the ground. At the crash site, I noticed LED on board was off. Left aileron was stuck in up position and whining. Rudder, elevator and aileron servos would respond to control input, but very minimal movement. After unplugging/replugging the battery, rudder, elevator and ailerons functioned properly. However, flaps would not respond and left aileron was twitchy. After the 3rd battery unplug/replug flaps resumed working and left aileron was still twitchy.

HH wants me to return plane. They kindly offered a shipping label.
drdbtz is offline Find More Posts by drdbtz
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:36 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Once again HH support shows why they're the best. I sat on hold for 18 minutes and finally gave up and used the callback option. Within about 10 minutes someone called back and I explained my tale of woe about the elevator servo. Within minutes I had a shipping label on the way. Yeah, I'll have to send it in and wait for a return trip but it's better than being stuck with a non-functioning plane and no support.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:48 PM View Post
traderdmb
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Group attack). It is temporarily hidden while traderdmb edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:10 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,375 Posts
I got the CC back at the beginning of May but haven't had the time or inclination to fly it for a variety of reasons. Flew 3 battery packs yesterday and so far have not experienced any of the problems plaquing others. Take off's were easy. The plane seems to much prefer coordinated rudder/aileron turns. Appears to require some power on landing as doesn't seem to glide all that well at low speeds or if you stop the prop, especially if you are going into any wind. My particular model wanted to constantly turn right when you neutralized the controls. I flew the 3 flights with a fair amount of left rudder and aileron trim but will be mechanically adjusting it so I can return the transmitter trims to neutral. Flew it with both the supplied 180ma pack and a Hyperion 240 pack. I think I prefer the 240 as it seemed to make the plane less sensitive and give it a bit more of a solid feel due to the extra weight. I have set the throws of all the servos to 95% but didn't program in any expo. Balance was at 27mm with both packs.

There was some wind but nothing that I wasn't comfortable flying such a light weight plane in. Not sure if I noted the AS3X doing its thing or not but it didn't feel like I was fighting the controls. Landings required some throttle and I really didn't notice any lack of control authority in the elevator. All throws are stock as they came out of the box.

Didn't have any problem with loops and didn't to do any spins or rolls. Will try to get it up again soon after I do the mechanical adjustments to the control rods. All in all an enjoyable experience but I'll continue watching for any of the servos to go bottoms up.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:18 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2 View Post
Appears to require some power on landing as doesn't seem to glide all that well at low speeds or if you stop the prop, especially if you are going into any wind.
FWIW, glide performance, aerodynamically speaking, is the same regardless of which way the wind is blowing.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Jul 05, 2012 at 04:26 PM.