HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:57 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,970 Posts
That's exactly what I'm gonna do with the Mig.
I've got an ASK on pre order, if there are teething problems with that then I may cancel it
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:50 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdude View Post
Watching for more good news before I buy a CC. Hope the issue is resolved soon.
It's not all bad news. I love mine and it's a first batch plane. I have certainly flown mine too slow and had it fall out of the sky at low altitude too. Pilot error is possible as well as brick and servo trouble. I don't know but so far all my trouble has been self induced and the repairs have been minor. In no way take this as blame on other pilots, I'm just saying mine flys well as long as I don't try to fly it outside it's flight envelope. It can sneak up on you and slap you with little warning. I would not call this plane easy to fly but it isn't too hard either. Wing loading seems to be higher than expected, it will stall with nearly no warning and it is a poor aileron trainer IMHO. Once you get used to all that, it is a fun plane though.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:56 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwsroc240 View Post
Gene

I am not sure how it could be the transmitter. My other planes fly fine with my DX7. The setting for the cub seem to be working fine as I have three packs without incident and the plane seemed to handle as it should. What type of problem with the trasmitter would only effect this plane and would be intermittent? I am willing to try anything, so if you have a suggestion on how to test the transmitter, please let me know what it is. All control surfaces are tested before each flight, and operate normally as well. Thanks for the help.
Had the same problem on my JR9503 and my Dx6i, both radios work great with all my other planes (both DSM2 and DSMX) it's definitely a cub issue, my last cub would barely bind at all.....we will see what #3 brings but 3 strikes your out in my book.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:13 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
My sentiments, exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
It's not all bad news. I love mine and it's a first batch plane. I have certainly flown mine too slow and had it fall out of the sky at low altitude too. Pilot error is possible as well as brick and servo trouble. I don't know but so far all my trouble has been self induced and the repairs have been minor. In no way take this as blame on other pilots, I'm just saying mine flys well as long as I don't try to fly it outside it's flight envelope. It can sneak up on you and slap you with little warning. I would not call this plane easy to fly but it isn't too hard either. Wing loading seems to be higher than expected, it will stall with nearly no warning and it is a poor aileron trainer IMHO. Once you get used to all that, it is a fun plane though.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:21 AM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
couldent have said it better myself, i have had countless great flights on mine with my dad and both are first productions, distant knocking on wood
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:02 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Really Strange Aileron Servo Issues

Hi All,

I have really enjoyed flying my cub when it works properly but something happened this morning which really has me perplexed.

This is actually the second carbon cub because the first one would not bind at all. I took that one back to where I bought it and they verified it would not bind and then gave me a replacement.

I have flown the replacement about 20 times up until this morning. Binding has always been hit and miss. Sometimes it just works, others you wait long enough and eventually its happy and others I end up rebinding.

Okay that brings me to this morning. Four perfect flights and then when powering up for the last flight the aileron servos made a kind of buzzing sound. I disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes and then powered up again. It bound okay and off I went. Unfortunately the ailerons did not seem to be working. I landed her using elevator and rudder (thankfully she steers quite nicely on rudder alone). I normally check control surface movement but I can't swear on a stack of bibles that I did or didn't. I can't remember.

What I found was that the aileron servos WERE working but one of them has reversed its direction so that they both move up and down together like an elevator. Left aileron they both go up and right aileron they both go down.

As an experiment I tried rebinding it. At first it would not bind at all. A fellow club member also tried to bind it and couldn't. At his suggestion I left it for about 10 minutes and tried again. This time, after a very long wait it did bind but the ailerons were still not behaving themselves.

Any suggestions as to how I might rectify this and what the cause was would be really appreciated. I don't think its important but the transmitter is a DX7. This transmitter works perfectly with the AS3X equipped Beast.
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:24 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,017 Posts
Check out this post for the fix. You'll need the little gizmo that's mentioned in the post. They come with the servo, so if you know someone who has bought a servo you're in business. If not ask at your LHS.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2900

Apparently it happens occasionally with low batteries, or that's the theory,

Hope this helps.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jul 01, 2012, 06:36 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Check out this post for the fix. You'll need the little gizmo that's mentioned in the post. They come with the servo, so if you know someone who has bought a servo you're in business. If not ask at your LHS.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2900

Apparently it happens occasionally with low batteries, or that's the theory,

Hope this helps.

Pete
Thanks Pete. I downloaded the manual and found the bit about the servo reverser. It was a full battery but I guess if I know the routine I can just keep doing it when it happens. So annoying because its such a great little plane when it is happy.
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
707 Posts
Believe I got a good one.

Found one at the LHS about 2 weeks ago.
First 3 were returned to HH....never flown...just bad servos or whatever.
Has similar flight characteristics as my eflite SC 25e(32 motor)...obviously just not as intense. Like all cubbies....it does like rudder but won't stall like the big one will.
Fly it everyday it's not too windy....love this little plane.
Pilot Fatigue is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:16 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,388 Posts
look whats just round the corner

http://www.miniaviation.com/news.html

looking forward to this little beauty sure will come in handy

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:48 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,760 Posts
Just had a great hand launched maiden flight with my new CC. However, when I picked it up and tossed it again, it pulled up into a powered loop... no elevator control. As it pulled over the top, I chopped to idle and rolled it over and went into the grass pretty hard. It was near dusk so i switched to the UM T-28 for a consolation fly before dark to soothe my damaged ego and carted them home.

Under good light I plugged in a battery only to hear the whine of a servo motor. The spur gear was gone from the elevator servo motor. Looking around, I found it stuck to a piece of tape near the flap servo. It appears malformed and is not serviceable.

The plastic mounting for the servo motor shows signs of having heat-softened and re-solidified but the alignment seems ok.

Is buying and replacing a servo mechanism my only solution? The thought of pulling the board, unscrewing the four itty bitty screws... sigh.
Has anyone had luck finding the little spur gears?

David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Jul 01, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,388 Posts
E-flite UMX Carbon Cub On Floats The Maiden

At last the Riverland MAC's Float Plane weekend was here and it gave me a chance to try for the first time flying of water. Not as easy as it looks but with a bit of practice i was up up and away. We were up before the sun for the first flight as the wind was picking up and i wanted to try for some flat water for my first flight. Second flight was after a morning brewed Coffee and the sun had poked it's head up, this one i do a few more loops etc and generally have a ball flying the new Carbon Cub on Floats, hope you all enjoy

cheers chuck

E-flite UMX Carbon Cub On Floats The Maiden (6 min 33 sec)
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:53 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Thoroughly entertaining as usual Chuck. That looks like a handful on floats!

Good work and best wishes to Corinne. You have a great lady mate. She was even happy to go to the lake at sparrows and do some more filming for you.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:37 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Thoroughly entertaining as usual Chuck. That looks like a handful on floats!

Good work and best wishes to Corinne. You have a great lady mate. She was even happy to go to the lake at sparrows and do some more filming for you.
Thanks Grazer and yes Corinne is a gem she only had to get out of bed though as we camped there it was a weekend show, mind you it was a freezing night and hard getting out of that warm bed, but we knew the wind was again coming up so had to get in before the sun and wind came up

as for handling yes! it did take a bit of getting used to and it is harder in the breeze, BUT! was still easy to do and a lot of fun. Unfortunatly though after being to such a fun float plane weekend i now need a speed boat and float plane to attend next years

cheers chuck

PS i videoed the weekend so it will be processed in a week or two as i have a wedding to attend and am going to be very busy for the next week, hmmm Daughters bless her heart
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:13 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Great video as usual Chuck (and Corinne!)... Showed us that even with a less than perfect take-off or landing, the Cub is still doing great. That's what I love about your videos! Got rid of my fear for flying relatively expensive electronic above water. Thanks for waking up in the weeeee hours of the morning for us! With the lights on, and the lack of light, the Cub was sometime looking like a real airplane.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler