Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2 View Post
On another note. I'd like to move the control rod to a hole closer to the elevator. The control rod goes into the control horn via a Z bend. How have you guys been removing it to put it in another hole without damaging the elevator or the control horn? Do you have to take the plane apart to do this?
No need to take the plane apart. The little horns are quite flexible. Just twist them a bit and pull the z bend out. Twist to reinstall. Use neednose if your fingers are as big as mine
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
Fair Oaks, California
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
50-60 thousand? Last week HH told me (and someone else earlier in this thread) that they shipped 2400 in first batch to the US. Next batch to ship in June. EARLIER THIS MONTH MY CC ELEVATOR LOCKED UP IN 'DOWN MODE' SEVERAL TIMES CAUSING CRASHES AND DAMAGE. Inside, servos were clean. Eliminated elev pushrod bowing by moving plastic guide forward just opposite rudder guide and re-attaching inside fuselage. IMPORTANT NOTE: I have been purchasing and flying HH micros and park flyers (e-flite, parkzone, hobbyzone) for several years now and have not seen 1) this number of failures, or 2) this degree of denial at HH. I BELIEVE THIS PROBLEM IS MORE THAN POOR QC OR SERVO BATCH. I BELIEVE IT IS A PRODUCT DESIGN PROBLEM... Servos are too small (weak) for air frame and/or servos cannot handle the constant signal corrections delivered from the AS3X system.
GetUpThere is offline Find More Posts by GetUpThere
Last edited by GetUpThere; May 29, 2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 29, 2012, 05:43 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot View Post
You have no clue what we are talking about apparently. ...
Over 35 years of flying RC I've been involved in many postmortems of crashes so I think I know what I'm talking about. If you read what I posted I clearly agreed that there have been real servo problems. It's just that every time a Carbon Cub crashes you can't blame it automatically on a servo failure. By not doing a careful analysis of what caused the crash the pilot doesn't learn valuable information that could help him or her grow as a pilot.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old May 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
Brian
United States, PA, Glenolden
Joined Feb 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot View Post
You have no clue what we are talking about apparently. Mine, and MANY others didn't even make it to the first flight.

For the record, I had 2 out of the box with bad elev servos(no flights). Both were from the same LHS and the same batch for whats that worth (gotta be something). I just got fed up and replaced the servo on the 2nd one myself. 6 flights in and its flying good, but for how long?!? There is definetly a QC problem here. or design flaw. I also fixed the bowing elev pushrod as well.
brian1180 is offline Find More Posts by brian1180
Old May 29, 2012, 05:58 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
I will maiden my plane tonight, I have tested the servos twice now on two separate occasions and am looking forward to the flights.

I will report back.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old May 29, 2012, 06:02 PM
Brian
United States, PA, Glenolden
Joined Feb 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
I will maiden my plane tonight, I have tested the servos twice now on two separate occasions and am looking forward to the flights.

I will report back.
Good luck!
brian1180 is offline Find More Posts by brian1180
Old May 29, 2012, 06:07 PM
我爱飞RC
United States, NC, Tar Heel
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsp View Post
I suspect some of it may be mass hysteria. As soon as a problem like this is reported you'll get many who are certain that any crash they have is caused by the reported problem. I have no doubt that some crashes have been caused by servo problems but many of the reports lack a careful analysis to determine what was the probable cause of the crash. Also many of the reports seem to be coming from newer pilots that may lack the experience and knowledge to make such an analysis.
I respectfully disagree. I thought the same thing. But no hysteria here. I didn't crash my plane. Landed it without elevator control (no big thing here - was lucky) and have no reason to make a fake claim. I simply don't have control of the elevator anymore. Can you believe me? I can post a video if you'd like. BTW - not flaming you - understand your point.
biowheel is offline Find More Posts by biowheel
Old May 29, 2012, 06:10 PM
我爱飞RC
United States, NC, Tar Heel
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
On another note. I'd like to move the control rod to a hole closer to the elevator. The control rod goes into the control horn via a Z bend. How have you guys been removing it to put it in another hole without damaging the elevator or the control horn? Do you have to take the plane apart to do this?
Just bend the plastic control piece and pull the rod out. Do the same thing to put it in the higher position giving you more control. I found - in that position - that the control rod hit the fuselage. So moved it back not to take any chances with binding. I think the elevator is actually in the right place. This is just tricky little plane to land. Can't just cut the throttle and make a 3 pt landing. Have to use power and very little elev. Just imo tho.

biowheel
biowheel is offline Find More Posts by biowheel
Old May 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
From my perspective the problem is the use of phrases like "ripped off" and others that imply the company is knowingly trying to cheat.

This company has the best customer service I have ever experienced in my nearly 65 years. Why not just state the problems without drawing conclusions as to motive of the company.

Flame away, if you like. Speculate as to my motives
WSEN,

Well-put!

The other thing which bothers me is that oftentimes when those who have had good luck relate their satisfaction with the product, the type of person you described invariably accuses them of being somehow connected to HH.

Wish this wind would go away! Haven't been able to fly since last Friday evening!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 06:22 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,374 Posts
WSEN & biowheel - thanks for the info on the control horn.

I was just just up on the Horizon website. As far as I can tell, all the reviews are gone as when I click the tab nothing shows up. I don't consider this some sort of conspiracy but it is strange behavior. I've posted less than flattering things about some of their products and they have never disappeared. I never read any of the CC reviews when they were up there, so can't comment on the actual content of what had been there but Horizon has for the most part been very customer oriented. I haven't flown my CC yet so will have to see what happens as to the servos.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old May 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
WSEN & biowheel - thanks for the info on the control horn.

I was just just up on the Horizon website. As far as I can tell, all the reviews are gone as when I click the tab nothing shows up. I don't consider this some sort of conspiracy but it is strange behavior. I've posted less than flattering things about some of their products and they have never disappeared. I never read any of the CC reviews when they were up there, so can't comment on the actual content of what had been there but Horizon has for the most part been very customer oriented. I haven't flown my CC yet so will have to see what happens as to the servos.
Lol. I guess it makes it harder to accuse them of bias if all of them disappear.

I have no complaints toward Horizon customer service. I'm just frustrated I've waited this long and I still don't have my Cub. I want to have some fun with it too!

I see it in stock at other places like UltimateHobbies.com.

I guess in the future I won't preorder. I haven't been rewarded by doing so.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old May 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
United States, CT, Thompson
Joined Mar 2007
52 Posts
Okay I have two CC from the same LHS and have had 4 servo problems between the two planes. An elevater and rudder have both completely locked up. I am not happy about it either. I do think HH needs to accept there is a real problem here. With that being said, I called them today and explained my whole experience. They gave me two options. They would either accept the plane back to be evaluated and repaired or they would send me a new brick to fix the elevator servo and a new servo for the aerilon. I chose to do the repairs myself as the rep thought this would be the the way I could get back in the air the quickest. The customer service was vey good. The rep also said the parts were back ordered with no date and I believe he hinted that the delay was caused by the parts having to pass QC. I do believe they are aware of the problem and that they are trying to fix it, but they should acknowledge the problems to keep there customer base loyal.

Now I have a question that I hope a more experienced builder can answer. What type of caulking should I use to glue the new brick in? Does anyone have any recommendations? Also has any one removed the servo in the wing? If so how did you get the protective plastic cover off. Thanks for the help guys.
Lwsroc240 is offline Find More Posts by Lwsroc240
Old May 29, 2012, 07:02 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
Lol. I guess it makes it harder to accuse them of bias if all of them disappear.

I have no complaints toward Horizon customer service. I'm just frustrated I've waited this long and I still don't have my Cub. I want to have some fun with it too!

I see it in stock at other places like UltimateHobbies.com.

I guess in the future I won't preorder. I haven't been rewarded by doing so.
I just checked the Horizon web site using my iPhone. There are 6 reviews and half are positive and half are negative with servo problems. So at least their mobile website seems to be working.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old May 29, 2012, 07:03 PM
Fair Oaks, California
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
For several years I have been supporting and promoting HH products on a daily basis because of their impeccable customer service delivered with integrity. But because of how I was (mis)treated (spoke with different personnel on each call) when I called them about failures on my CC, AND because they have removed negative customer reviews on the CC MORE THAN ONCE on CC product pages on both e-flite and Horizon Hobby websites... my good view of HH is changing. They have performed with integrity in the past in my experience, but not now. This is why I have decided not to buy ANY more HH products, and why I have decided not to promote ANY more HH products to anyone any more... which I have done on a daily basis up to now. Remember, without experiencing what I have reported here, it is not possible for anyone else to dispute it.
GetUpThere is offline Find More Posts by GetUpThere
Last edited by GetUpThere; May 29, 2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Sp
Old May 29, 2012, 07:19 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post

I will report back.
Grovey,

Good luck with the maiden!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member