SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:31 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
electricrc68's Avatar
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainlink View Post
50mph rocket... Perspective is everything. The 60 sized trainer I learned on would easily do 60, but was no rocket. The Q500 I loved to fly could do 100-120, and really was not a rocket either (a fast Q500 could tag 140, and a Formula could do 160 in the day).

Now that 17" mig that is doing 49mhp - that is getting closer to a rocket. My 20" micro hotliner tagging 90 is getting there as well.
---
I think this plane will fly in as small of space as the rest of the UM line - wind and willpower willing. I managed to fly the beast 3d a few seconds at the house - but it really did not belong there (flying under trees is only so much fun).
yeah i think that it should probably be able to. i hope its not faster than at least a beast though.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:44 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
glad you said that! i have been wanting a plane that is capable of handling slow speeds. the area i have can't handle a 50mph speed rocket. so now im stuck between the CC and spitfire.
She should fly reasonably slowly - but she most definitely will not float around like the UM Champ. Horizon has stated that the CC is not a beginner's plane. It's intended for intermediate pilots who are proficient with higher-performance, 4-channel planes.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:53 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
electricrc68's Avatar
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
She should fly reasonably slowly - but she most definitely will not float around like the UM Champ. Horizon has stated that the CC is not a beginner's plane. It's intended for intermediate pilots who are proficient with higher-performance, 4-channel planes.

Joel
aw shoot. the only 4 channel i have flown is the t-28. do you think i should hold off for now and get the spitfire instead?
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:00 AM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
aw shoot. the only 4 channel i have flown is the t-28. do you think i should hold off for now and get the spitfire instead?
Depends you want to go faster or slower??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:00 AM
TAS Foamies was here!!!!!!!!
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
261 Posts
I was just talking about this to a friend just after we made a micro glider .... This and and the ask are now on my list
ThatGuy123 is offline Find More Posts by ThatGuy123
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:04 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
electricrc68's Avatar
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Depends you want to go faster or slower??
well i would like a plane that can fly fast but also can fly slow. on top of that, it would be my second aileron plane since the only aileron plane i have right now is the t-28....that has only 1 flight on it so far due to wind/cold weather in winter.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:51 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
HuffDaddy's Avatar
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,228 Posts
thanks RG!!

sooo maybe not apples to apples comparison, but whatta bout the Super Cub LP power compared to the new Carbon Cub SS.... similar?

Super Cub LP specs:
  • Flying Weight.... 25.2 oz (715 g)
  • Prop.................. 9 x 6
  • motor................. 480 brushed Kv ??
  • lipo.................... 3S 11.1V 1300 15C









Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Exactly the same powertrain as the Beast 3D or the Sbach.

So:

Theory: 11oz or 330gr of thrust, 0.108HP, 79watts

Real: Probably half that thrust so 5.5oz or 165gr and only 24 watts

About right guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
hey you formulas figuring guys out there... I'm not going to word this correctly but you'll get the jest of it I hope...

what is the thrust ratio or ounces of thrust per pound or however it's titled?

was thinking the stock setup might fall into the sport aerobatic group whereas we see in the video the lil Cubby knife-edgin' etc

looks like the stock setup is:
  • Flying Weight... 3.17 oz (90 g)
  • Prop................ 5x2.75
  • motor.............. BL180 2500Kv
  • lipo................. 7.4V 2S 180mAh 20C

hhmm... maybe it its figured by watts, I just found a this:
  • 70-90 watts/lb. Trainer and slow flying aerobatic models.
  • 90-110 watts/lb. Sport aerobatic and fast flying scale models.
  • 110-130 watts/lb. advanced aerobatic and high speed models
  • 130-150 watts/lb. Lightly loaded 3D models and ducted fans.
  • 150-200+ watts/lb. Unlimited performance 3D models.
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Feb 04, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:02 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
aw shoot. the only 4 channel i have flown is the t-28. do you think i should hold off for now and get the spitfire instead?
If you are proficient with the T-28 on 100% rates & max throws, are well beyond the 'why did it crash' stage, think it takes 'forever' to complete a roll -even with full-aileron, and think it's too slow @ WOT - even with a 5043 prop & top-quality battery - then you should have no trouble flying either one of these planes. Provided that you remember that neither plane has the self-righting characteristics of the T-28.

However - if you're at the stage where you think the stock T-28 is too fast @ WOT, if you still crash often and it's not because you're pushing the envelope & trying new aerobatic maneuvers down on the deck, if you think the T-28 is too responsive on high rates with all control throws maxed - then you should probably max the throws, slap on a 5043 prop, install a Hyperion or similar quality cell, and get some more stick-time on the T-28 before moving to the CC or Spit. Better yet - get some stick-time on a few sport/aerobatic planes in a decent sim, to get comfortable with how intermediate planes handle.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:41 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
electricrc68's Avatar
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
If you are proficient with the T-28 on 100% rates & max throws, are well beyond the 'why did it crash' stage, think it takes 'forever' to complete a roll -even with full-aileron, and think it's too slow @ WOT - even with a 5043 prop & top-quality battery - then you should have no trouble flying either one of these planes. Provided that you remember that neither plane has the self-righting characteristics of the T-28.

However - if you're at the stage where you think the stock T-28 is too fast @ WOT, if you still crash often and it's not because you're pushing the envelope & trying new aerobatic maneuvers down on the deck, if you think the T-28 is too responsive on high rates with all control throws maxed - then you should probably max the throws, slap on a 5043 prop, install a Hyperion or similar quality cell, and get some more stick-time on the T-28 before moving to the CC or Spit. Better yet - get some stick-time on a few sport/aerobatic planes in a decent sim, to get comfortable with how intermediate planes handle.

Joel
okay thanks. i guess i will hold off for now then.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Ok then, since I am definitely not crashless with my T, but all crashes are result of my moving around the yard ending up eventually blocking view with a bush, it should be fine for me, LOL.

As I said earlier, I've been wanting the supercub modded or parts built with ailerons, but actually would rather have the size of the mini cub. Always read though that the mini wasn't worth it. 24 vs 32 inch wingspan for this sounds like a good enough size comparison for the high wing cub I'm wanting.

I have 3 flying areas at my house. Field behind me I could fly anything in, it is bigger than both club fields near me, field beside me perfect for these micros, and the backyard perfect for Airhogs and straffing run with the micros. I've even climbed a ladder and plopped down on my roof peak to fly before, LOL.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:53 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
674 Posts
The problem with little brushed motors is that they spin so fast driving the gears that they quickly wear out the brushes.
My UM Mustang had 4 replacement motors. Now it is finished with another motor and an elevator servo that are worn out out and too much damage to the foam. My UM Polecat is already using its second brushed motor.

The Carbon Cub will be my 3rd cub but I am worried that its wing sits on fake glass windows.
My first cub 52 years ago was powered by a small Cox 020 engine. Radio control in those days was huge, heavy and expensive so I controlled its free-flight altitude with a pendulum connected to the elevator. When the nose went up then the elevator went down and vice-versa. The wind blew its circling from one end of the park to trees at the other end.

My second cub is the UM Parkzone J3. It is on its 5th or 6th motor because it wears out quickly. It is very relaxing to fly and I can look at and chat with the pretty girls in the park while its "auto-pilot" flies it.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:59 PM
Same Day Delivery
mike3976's Avatar
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,534 Posts
Ha! Been away from this stuff for a month or so, and when I check back, all these nice new UMX's have appeared! I remenber posting in "the next UMX" thread that I wanted a UMX Super Cub....Look's like Horizon came through for me....Imagine That.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:09 PM
Registered User
microheli's Avatar
Joined Jul 2006
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
Couldn't you simply have two SD cards and just load/unload as required?
Yes but one TX for the Cub and one for the ASK-21 behind
microheli is online now Find More Posts by microheli
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:26 PM
-=BS=-
BlazingStar's Avatar
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
DX8 x 2 = 60 models
Dx8 x2 = $600

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
Couldn't you simply have two SD cards and just load/unload as required?
Yes, but you need to rebind a model when you import it. Not so much an issue with UM models/AR6400 , but still a pain. Rx in other planes would have to be accessible for a bind plug.
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
Registered User
microheli's Avatar
Joined Jul 2006
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
hey you formulas figuring guys out there... I'm not going to word this correctly but you'll get the jest of it I hope...

what is the thrust ratio or ounces of thrust per pound or however it's titled?

was thinking the stock setup might fall into the sport aerobatic group whereas we see in the video the lil Cubby knife-edgin' etc

looks like the stock setup is:
  • Flying Weight... 3.17 oz (90 g)
  • Prop................ 5x2.75
  • motor.............. BL180 2500Kv
  • lipo................. 7.4V 2S 180mAh 20C

hhmm... maybe it its figured by watts, I just found a this:
  • 70-90 watts/lb. Trainer and slow flying aerobatic models.
  • 90-110 watts/lb. Sport aerobatic and fast flying scale models.
  • 110-130 watts/lb. advanced aerobatic and high speed models
  • 130-150 watts/lb. Lightly loaded 3D models and ducted fans.
  • 150-200+ watts/lb. Unlimited performance 3D models.
I think:
Carbon Cub = 100-125 watts/lb
Beast/Sbach = 140-175 watts/lb
microheli is online now Find More Posts by microheli
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Horizon Hobby E-flite UMX Sbach 342 BNF Review sun.flyer Micro Ready-to-Fly 47 Nov 09, 2013 06:41 AM
Build Log Scratchbuild (STOL) Carbon Cub SS - built with carbon fibre tubes Phaeton Scale Kit/Scratch Built 183 Jul 29, 2013 10:45 AM
Alert BREAKING NEWS: Horizon Hobby Mig-15 UMX gp125racer Other Websites 2 Jan 17, 2012 03:08 PM
Sold Horizon hobby carbon-z- yak with extras matthew james Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 Apr 11, 2011 07:33 AM